Prospect Park - General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
Didier
Capella Tower

Prospect Park - General Topics

Postby Didier » July 15th, 2014, 7:32 pm

Seems like a thread for Prospect Park is fair game, no?

http://www.citypages.com/2014-07-16/new ... -urbanism/

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Prospect Park news

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 16th, 2014, 7:25 am

That's an interesting read, and if Prospect North plans ever start coming more into fruition then a Prospect Park News thread is certainly going to be warranted!

twincitizen

Re: Prospect Park - General Topics

Postby twincitizen » November 4th, 2014, 9:28 am

The City of Minneapolis is looking to completely redevelop the Glendale Townhomes public housing complex (built 1952, owned by MPHA):
http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 133168.pdf
Glendale Townhomes Pre Development – Schematic Design (requesting $100,000). This
project is 14.5 acres bounded generally by 27th Avenue SE on the west, Interstate 94 on the
south and University Avenue on the north. Glendale Townhomes is a traditional public housing
development consisting of 184 affordable family units in 28 buildings. The Minneapolis Public
Housing Authority in cooperation with CPED, is proposing to redevelop the entire 14.5 acres
into a nationally recognized, culturally and economically diverse, sustainable, and amenity rich
mixed-income and mixed-use neighborhood. MPHA and CPED are seeking services to
determine three alternative redevelopment plans for the Glendale site achieving these goals
and plans to provide the 25% match. CPED will also contribute to the match with in-kind staff
work.
It shouldn't be too hard to replace/relocate the 184 units of public housing when redeveloping a site that large, presumably along with market-rate and Section 42 units as well in a mixed-income community.

Here's something from the Metropolitan Design Center: http://www.designcenter.umn.edu/project ... nhomes.pdf

That document shows concepts splitting the site into "upper and lower terrace" areas, in which the entire site could be redeveloped, or only the lower terrace. The concept for redeveloping the full site shows a potential of 525 units, or 77 units/acre, with a mixture of 3-5 story buildings. Even at that density, there would still be a lot of green/open space on the site. For comparison, "Blue" in Uptown is 152 units/acre on a completely urban site with no open space. The current density on the site is 11.7 units/acre (or less than an average city block of single family homes).

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 4th, 2014, 11:06 am

It would be beneficial, I think, to build out a pedestrian connection from the curve of Williams Avenue to the new 29th Avenue Station. If the city were ahead of the game, they could be laying the groundwork right now to build that out in conjunction with the redevelopment of these properties. Especially if they're looking to add a high density of transit dependent residents, this would be a very useful connection.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 4th, 2014, 11:49 am

I assume your intent is that they cross University here, at the newly established crosswalk at 29th:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9712083 ... wCUPvw!2e0

If you look across to the south side of University, it appears there's some kind of path (possibly) being installed adjacent to the 2900 University condo building. That would presumably be the most common sense place for this connection to go.

On Williams, a house was demolished to expand parking for 2828 University.

The house is visible on street view, but rubble'd in the satellite images: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.970337, ... EU3RGA!2e0

It appears the desired ped connection may already be established, albeit through a privately-owned parking lot.

EDIT: Indeed, it was rezoned C2 and demolished for parking lot expansion. Not sure if a curb cut was retained on Williams or not (the house had one). This parking lot is likely already a well-used pedestrian corridor to the LRT Station. A real pedestrian connection should have absolutely been a condition of the rezoning, even if it was just colored pavement in the parking lot or something to designate that people could walk there.

EDIT2: ****ING CHRIST: http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=44.970 ... ORM=LMLTCC

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 4th, 2014, 12:26 pm

Yes, that was exactly my intent, and I'm not surprised that people are finding an unofficial route to get there. It should be recognized and formalized.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 31st, 2014, 7:39 am

Some additional details on the Glendale redevelopment plan: http://finance-commerce.com/2014/12/in- ... e-housing/

Sounds like this is still several years away, as MPHA would need to start shuffling tenants around now (relocating people to housing at other facilities, and shuffling within Glendale to vacate particular buildings).

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 31st, 2014, 1:47 pm

I think any redevelopment should strive to preserve the mature oaks on the site. The trees really are one of the defining features of the Prospect Park n'hood.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » January 29th, 2015, 9:14 am

The Schneider Drug Store at the corner of Bedford Street and University Avenue will remain under local, independent ownership after being purchased by the owner of Lloyd's Pharmacy.

http://www.parkbugle.org/lloyds-pharmac ... ider-drug/

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » May 2nd, 2015, 8:50 am

In today's Strib article about the Glendale townhomes redevelopment, Phyllis Kahn says she wants the state's billion-dollar investment in light rail to serve low density housing:
Others are opposed to the expanded redevelopment, preferring the current layout and housing mix.

“It is an absolutely terrible” idea, said DFL state Rep. Phyllis Kahn, who lives two blocks from Glendale. Like others in the area, she credited it with providing much- needed students and racial diversity for the nearby Pratt public school.
The article, like the residents, is making something out of nothing. Undoubtedly there hasn't been anything new to say about this development since November; developments take time anyway, and when HUD is involved, at least double the timeline.

BTW Glendale itself is pretty sparsely treed, and those there are not consistently oaks.
"Who rescued whom!"

nlt
Block E

Postby nlt » May 2nd, 2015, 9:32 pm

Yusuf said she believes that the agency’s goal is gentrification and that it aims to take advantage of the area’s proximity to the light-rail Green Line, where business has been surging. She worries that could make the units unaffordable; the agency said rents won’t change.
She seems to have a pretty vague idea of how subsidized or affordable housing works. How does one go about making Section 8 housing unaffordable?

Terrible reporting, too.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 3rd, 2015, 1:24 am

There doesn't even seem to be anything to object to. It's just straight up fear of change, because that's the only certainty.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 3rd, 2015, 10:23 am

"What happened is that I heard the word 'gentrification' somewhere and I wanted to use it in a sentence, preferably in a newspaper."
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » May 3rd, 2015, 10:00 pm

To quote a Strib commenter: "@mnborn2 When did she (Phyllis Kahn) move? I always thought she lived on Nicollet Island."

I did too.

Either way, her quote seems like it must have been taken out of context, like it was a soundbite from a meeting, because surely the obvious follow-up would be "Why?" The reason cited doesn't make sense.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 15th, 2015, 10:17 am

Sorta minor non-update on the comprehensive planning: http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 142547.pdf

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 10th, 2015, 10:46 am

First rendering I've seen. Couldn't they design at least one of the buildings to embrace the curving streets?
Delayed, after resident pushback.
http://www.startribune.com/glendale-rev ... 312949211/

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 10th, 2015, 11:03 am

I saw that pic and thought... it looks a little too Le Corbusier for 2015. Haven't we learned?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 10th, 2015, 9:21 pm

Learned what? It's not like it's Pruitt Igoe.

I don't love that rendering but I don't hate it either, and it's still an improvement over what's already there now. I'd love it if they could turn this node into a bustling mini-district that serves the neighborhood, with a small town center with Ma and Pa level retailers. Probably hard to conceptualize when you're trying to sell a solid plan to a lender though.

Serafina
Block E

Postby Serafina » September 30th, 2015, 2:59 pm

I was happy to see the Glendale Townhomes redevelopment put on indefinite hold by the city until MPHA and residents can agree on a plan for moving forward. MPHA was chasing federal funding with this plan, and letting that drive the process rather than thinking through the needs.

I'm excited about the coming developments along Fourth St. SE and University Ave. Fresh Thyme grocery and a liquor store! 260 apartments and a 120-room hotel with parking for 460 bikes! But those aren't going to displace 184 vulnerable families, most with children, into an extremely tight rental market. Especially when there's no available Section 8 housing in PP or the adjoining neighborhoods.

Neighborhood residents fought hard to have Glendale built here in the 1950s, and it's one of the few family-oriented, well-connected public housing sites in Minneapolis. The buildings may not be the most modern, but they are generally solid and livable. There's green space and dozens of gardens. MPHA's version of community engagement--which it received Met Council funding to do--was simply to inform residents of what would happen. If we really want to think more about people-centered design and instilling a sense of place and community, tearing down a functional community without a thoughtful and inclusive process seems short sighted.

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » October 8th, 2015, 12:10 am

19 posts, and finally somebody with some common sense...