Prospect Park - General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
EOst
Capella Tower

Re: Prospect Park - General Topics

Postby EOst » October 24th, 2016, 10:31 am

Excellent outcome. I wonder what they're planning to do with the rest of the area? There are a couple other buildings on the property, as well as a lot of piled-up junk.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » October 24th, 2016, 10:46 am

sweeet

EDIT: The buildings to the north of the one with the collapsed roof have already been cleared, unfortunately. (I was there this summer, I'm pretty sure I remember correctly.)

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 24th, 2016, 10:48 am

Some of those are already gone, I think. I'm not sure if anything north of the long warehouse is still there. The house that was at the end of 30th Ave. is definitely gone. As are the buildings in the lower right of that screengrab (on the next property, outside the blue line).

DanB
Metrodome

Postby DanB » October 24th, 2016, 12:47 pm

The only buildings still standing in that picture EOst posted other than the Harris building are the 2 on the far left and the one bottom right. My understanding is that the 2 on the left haven't been demolished yet only because they want the city to declare them blight first and the building bottom right will also go eventually. I am pleasantly surprised by the news the Harris machinery building will be saved as the last letter the Prospect Park Zoning and Project review committee received from Barnhart last month said saving it was economically unfeasible (+$290 per square foot) and they were going to seek a demo permit.

DanB
Metrodome

Postby DanB » November 1st, 2016, 9:37 pm

Two projects presented to Prospect Park zoning committee tonight.

1. 2618 Essex St.
  • Four story micro unit apartment building
    23 single bedroom 350 sqft units and 2 2-bedrooms units
    9 parking spaces and 25 bike parking spaces
    Target rent $850/month
    Best case late 2017 completion
Developer has not done any similar projects. Committee was wary of number of parking spaces and having the rear stair well not be fully enclosed to allow for a service lift.

2. 3000, 3024 4th St SE and 3033 University Ave SE (the 3 parcels surrounding the Teamsters building by the Rise development)
  • Senior homes with memory care, independent, and assisted living
    255 units
    Retail on ground floor
    Hoping for 2018 opening
    CoW early as February
    Early in design process
    Developer Oppidan and Prospect Park Properties
No drawings were presented.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 21st, 2016, 11:47 pm

The Prospect Park Innovation District/Green 4th/whatever else it's been called has a name and a website now: Towerside.

So, we've got a couple new developments underway since the plans were originally pitched for the area and its district systems and whatnot. The district stormwater appears to be coming to fruition, but does anyone have any idea if Rise, for example, is being built to be district heat-ready?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

DanB
Metrodome

Postby DanB » November 22nd, 2016, 8:28 am

I was told that Rise will be district heat ready I presume the other projects in development will as well.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 29th, 2016, 5:02 pm

Prospect Park densification continues

Proposal for a 4 story (25 unit) micro apartment building at 2618 Essex St SE

http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 190671.pdf

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » November 29th, 2016, 7:29 pm

It's nice to see that not all of the developments are huge apartment buildings. It's nice to see some of these smaller infill projects being built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 30th, 2016, 12:18 am

The lofted sleeping areas in the micro units are a nice touch. I'd rather have that than a Murphy bed.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 30th, 2016, 9:56 am

Is this design the redemption of William Wells?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 30th, 2016, 3:28 pm

Sorry if I'm late to the news, but does this development mean that the original development for the site (a very compact 5-6 story building that was shaped by the triangular plot) is a no-go? If I can find the name of the project I'm talking about I'll add it.

*Edit: 117 27th Ave SE Apartments -- https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3879

It looks like these projects would overlap one-another -- or are they all going to be squeezed in on an incredibly dense block of infrastructure?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 30th, 2016, 3:59 pm

Incredibly dense block

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 17th, 2017, 7:40 pm

On the $4M project to improve the Prospect Park Station Area along SE 4th St.

http://www.startribune.com/minneapolis- ... 411002425/

City portion to include "tearing up the street and rebuilding it with better sidewalks, lighting, bike lanes and on-street parking from 25th Avenue SE. to Malcolm Avenue SE., in an area north of University Avenue where several hundred new apartment units are planned."

Construction starts April/May and end around Thanksgiving,

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » January 31st, 2017, 2:15 pm

The Planning Commission packet for the 243-unit Green on Fourth apartments on the LRT line:

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 193245.pdf

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » January 31st, 2017, 3:21 pm

^ The ol' Braun Intertec sampling truck was on site this morning.

DanB
Metrodome

Postby DanB » February 7th, 2017, 11:25 pm

Updates from PPA Land Use & Planning committee (new name)

Senior Living development (3000 30th Ave SE, 3024 4th St SE, 3033 University Ave SE)
11 stories (135 feet) along Malcolm ave 6 stories along 4th
FAR 4.5
285 units, 172.7 units per acre
60 bike parking spaces (388 required by code)
4600 sqft retail space
6500 sqft for child care center
27% studios, 50% 1-bedroom, 23% 2-bedroom
parking underground with some surface parking near teamsters building
Committee supportive though some displeasure at small room sizes and 11 story height.

A climbing gym by Midwest Climbing Academy (HGA architects) has been proposed for the west side of Malcolm Ave SE just south of the rail yard (directly northwest of Surly). The building will be all steel construction with insulated steel panels. It will have 2 masses a smaller 2 story portion to the back (north) and a larger wedge shape building that starts off on the western side of the property at maybe 1 to 2 stories high and slopes up over a distance around 200ish feet (guesstimate) to be 65 to 75 feet tall at Malcolm with a glass wall going up the entire height along Malcolm. Surface parking on northern portion of site. Property intended to be bounded in future by extended 30th Ave SE to the west and a new east-west street to the south. Not sure on cost yet but they claim financing is secure. Building looked pretty good and should be dramatic from the street. Committee supportive of project. Square footage was around 60ksf if I remember correctly. Apologies on length and the bad description.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 8th, 2017, 12:04 am

Man, I though the deal that was struck with the Prospect Park North/Towerside/whatever plan was that as long as the redevelopment stayed north of University and didn't impinge on the SFHs, the SFHowners would be cool and be the one non-downtown neighborhood group in the city that doesn't whine about buildings taller than 30 feet. The senior development sounds great - harder to have it morph into more student-focused housing like RISE seems to have done. That would be the 3/4ths of that block that isn't the Teamster's building, then?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

DanB
Metrodome

Postby DanB » February 8th, 2017, 1:20 am

Yes it is the 3/4 quarters of the block around Teamster.

I will say in defense of Prospect Park that although some weren't pleased at the height of the senior development (the main concern being the difference in height with the east side of Malcolm) they still said they would support the project. Also, Prospect Park has been pretty good at supporting projects north of University Ave (RISE and Green on 4th being examples of this).

Admittedly projects like the 48 unit Erie apartments (also presented today) aren't well received.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 8th, 2017, 9:35 am

Is there a link?