Prospect Park - General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
DanB
Metrodome

Re: Prospect Park - General Topics

Postby DanB » February 8th, 2017, 10:56 am

Unfortunately they just had paper copies at the meeting.

Serafina
Block E

Postby Serafina » February 8th, 2017, 2:43 pm

I've heard a lot of excitement in the neighborhood over the senior housing plans.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 15th, 2017, 10:48 am

Minor subdivision proposal for some of the old grain elevators. Wall Development Co.
http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 195722.pdf
"The intended buyer is Midwest Climbing LLC, which plans to construct an indoor climbing facility."

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » March 28th, 2017, 8:04 pm

2813 SE 4th St, Minneapolis, MN 55414

Anyone think this will be devoloped soon. It is the last remaining plot near the station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanB
Metrodome

Postby DanB » April 7th, 2017, 8:55 am

Proposed Street layout (page 38) and development plan for Malcolm Yards (the area north of the transitway and west of Surly). Of particular interest is this statement about the southeastern portion of the lot:

"Wall has a signed MOU with a specialty grocer, who proposes 50,000 SF of grocery and restaurants on the ground floor. Plans call for a 12-story market rate housing to be built above. "(Page 15)

Also a greenway connecting Surly to 29th Ave SE.

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 197004.pdf

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » April 7th, 2017, 9:38 am

Proposed Street layout (page 38) and development plan for Malcolm Yards (the area north of the transitway and west of Surly). Of particular interest is this statement about the southeastern portion of the lot:

"Wall has a signed MOU with a specialty grocer, who proposes 50,000 SF of grocery and restaurants on the ground floor. Plans call for a 12-story market rate housing to be built above. "(Page 15)

Also a greenway connecting Surly to 29th Ave SE.

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 197004.pdf
Pretty sure thats referring to the Fresh Thyme going in currently. No way another grocery chain would sign on to a development next door.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 7th, 2017, 9:58 am

That's coming directly from Wall though. I was taken back from the Harris Building becoming a food hall with construction starting in Spring.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » April 7th, 2017, 10:02 am

Yeah the language is pretty explicit that they're talking about a 12 story tower above a 50k sqft grocery on Block 4 - an MOU with Wall, not the RISE building under current construction.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 7th, 2017, 10:12 am

Weird that it would be another specialty grocer next to Fresh Thyme, though. I wouldn't have been surprised by an Aldi or something, but another high-end grocery seems like it might be splitting the market a little too much.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 7th, 2017, 10:20 am

Wall also said there will be 700-800 units in these blocks. So adding that to the additional 600 or so units proposed/under construction, there's going to be a lot of people. Plus regional draw and lots that will bring even more people. Depends on the grocer though.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » April 8th, 2017, 7:46 am

If everything proposed in the area gets built it will be interesting to see what the Teamsters do with their building. I would imagine at some point a developer would by and make them say no to a really big offer.

nerdljos
City Center

Postby nerdljos » April 8th, 2017, 5:14 pm

Given the other plans for Green on 4th and whatever Aeon comes up with (plus the senior living place), and all the students living in the area, an Aldi or something in that price range would be great. Looking at the whole of Prospect Park, there's a huge amount of housing growth that's happened and been planned in the past 5-10 years, and looking further to East Bank and Stadium Village, there are essentially only convenience stores in the immediate area that offer some options, but not the full range of a grocery store. With all that's happening, two grocery stores will do just fine.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 9th, 2017, 11:19 am

A full grocery more central to Stadium Village or Dinkytown would be much better than a second one here, I'd think. Even with the buildup this area is limited by geography, and the second grocery store wouldn't be very visible or even particularly accessible, especially compared with Fresh Thyme, which is right across the street from an LRT station and has frontage on University. I'd also venture to guess that Prospect Park is the type of neighborhood where a certain segment of the population will remain loyal to Seward Coop regardless of whether there's a closer store.

Long ago there was a plan for a Mississippi Market in what is now the 2700 University apartments. If there was ever a marker for a second grocery store in the area, that'd seem to have been a much better location. Still right across from an LRT station, right on University, and with hundreds of apartments already in walking distance.

So the Fresh Thyme, I predict, will be pretty successful. Maybe a place like Trader Joe's, which is kind of a unique offering, would work well as a second grocer in that north Prospect Park area. I don't really think this is the best place for an Aldi or Kawalski's, though.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 9th, 2017, 7:16 pm

Is Granary Road on any particular timeline to become reality? This development up Malcolm brings a bit of interest to get the ball rolling.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 19th, 2017, 5:23 pm

Serafina
Block E

Postby Serafina » April 24th, 2017, 9:02 am

Another development happening in Prospect Park is that United Properties is apparently buying the Tierney building as well as the building next door housing Four Star Auto and Great Brakes, looking to put in specialty retail along the stretch.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » April 24th, 2017, 9:21 am

Re: post 96

What is the address. Only specialty retail? I am hoping they are planning on building residential units above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Serafina
Block E

Postby Serafina » April 25th, 2017, 1:14 pm

It's at 3300 University Ave. SE. I don't think anything will be happening there too quickly, but I'd be surprised if there weren't some housing there as well. Unlike the development north of University, and even though it's still in the innovation district, it borders on Tower Park and the historic district so I expect there to be more neighborhood opposition to height here.

It looks like DanB had already started a new discussion about this property that I missed earlier.

Serafina
Block E

Postby Serafina » April 25th, 2017, 1:21 pm

The Planning Commission also apparent almost killed the Malcolm Yards proposal yesterday following a staff report recommending denying the move from "Industrial" to "Transitional Industrial" for the site, but there was vigorous neighborhood support of it at the meeting.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 25th, 2017, 1:22 pm

The staff stated that the development could go forward without changing the SEMI plan. They want to see development on the site before changing it.