Prospect Park - General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
twincitizen

Re: Prospect Park - General Topics

Postby twincitizen » August 3rd, 2019, 1:38 pm

I went to the Tame Impala concert at Surly’s outdoor venue (amazing show BTW) on Tuesday and was blown away by the entirely-from-scratch neighborhood taking shape here. We took the train of course, and walked along 4th from 29th to Malcolm. Things are happening!

alexschief
Rice Park

Postby alexschief » August 19th, 2019, 12:00 pm

Here's the view from University. You've got to wonder how long the Teamsters will stick around in their building. I'm sure they could move elsewhere with little trouble, but they could also follow the Sons of Norway example and make a home for themselves in a new development. Either way, the precedent for 10-15 stories has pretty clearly been set. Given that the Teamsters site would be narrower and smaller, redeveloping it might lead to a taller building.

The Teamsters building is pretty interesting if you hold your hand out to block the ground floor parking. It'd be fun if the architects of a future tower on the site borrow the white fins motif.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 19th, 2019, 12:33 pm

alexschief
Rice Park

Postby alexschief » September 18th, 2019, 11:51 am

Again per Robin Garwood, The Louis is done. I hadn't known it was so close, since they only recently put on the facade, but I guess they did that almost last. I was concerned about the small, square windows on this one, and it doesn't look good in the grey areas, but there is enough variety in the facade with how the windows are treated that I ultimately don't mind.

This project is across 30th Ave SE from the Green On Fourth, and as I wrote above and on the previous page, it's the third building in this area, with two more under construction and the Malcolm Yards project yet to start (to my knowledge). There's also the Ruffridge-Johnson Equipment Co. industrial parcel on the other side of the block from The Louis that is developable and the aforementioned Teamsters building across the street. More multi-family density on the way, and plenty of potential for more.

The only downside is that The Louis and neither of the two buildings under construction have retail space. While there remains unfilled space in The Link building, it's maybe hard to see more retail getting built here, but hopefully these new residents begin to improve the market outlook for the area. A retail space on the University side of a Teamsters redevelopment would be a must, and a Malcolm-facing retail space in a future Ruffridge-Johnson redevelopment would also be nice to see.

Return to “Minneapolis - North, Northeast, and Southeast / University of Minnesota”