Upper Harbor Terminal

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
kiliff75
Nicollet Mall

Re: Upper Harbor Terminal

Postby kiliff75 » August 16th, 2018, 8:30 pm

Reminds me of the giant cement grain elevator next to surly, seems pretty cool.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 16th, 2018, 9:03 pm

These 1970s foam covered bubbles are not that interesting and in poor shape. The 'Port of Minneapolis' was a 1960s boondoggle that deserves to be stricken from the record.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » August 16th, 2018, 9:10 pm

Yes let's erase history that sounds like a good idea.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 16th, 2018, 9:42 pm

I have no emotional attachment to this terrible/ awful land-use. What's next, preserving the asphalt plant to the south?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » August 17th, 2018, 8:21 am

I have no emotional attachment to this terrible/ awful land-use. What's next, preserving the asphalt plant to the south?
Asphalt is the 'terrazzo" of 70's.

hoffm83n
Metrodome

Postby hoffm83n » August 17th, 2018, 8:56 am

i wish they planned to preserve even more of the industrial stuff but this still looks great. repurposing industrial areas works incredibly well for music venues. see ferropolis, NDSM, half of Berlin.

gopherfan
Nicollet Mall

Postby gopherfan » August 17th, 2018, 12:04 pm

The Levitt Pavilion SteelStacks in Bethlehem, PA should really be the precedent for this project! They did a really good job of letting the public get up close and personal with it. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Levit ... 75.3680992

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » August 19th, 2018, 7:10 pm

I'm trying to figure out how the people on the lawn section behind the suite tower building are going to see the stage. Presumably there is going to be some pitch to the lawn and the building doesn't appear to have a 40' high gap in it more like 20'-25'. I have a hard time figuring how the people at the middle to back of the lawn aren't just going to be looking right at the backside of the building. I also don't see any big screens in the rendering but that's something they could add easily.

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » August 19th, 2018, 8:56 pm

I'm trying to figure out how the people on the lawn section behind the suite tower building are going to see the stage. Presumably there is going to be some pitch to the lawn and the building doesn't appear to have a 40' high gap in it more like 20'-25'. I have a hard time figuring how the people at the middle to back of the lawn aren't just going to be looking right at the backside of the building. I also don't see any big screens in the rendering but that's something they could add easily.
I'm wondering the same thing. Doesn't seem like you can see the stage from the lawn. However, there are two giant screens on the back of the structure (one on each side) in the rendering. So that looks like it's part of the plan. The structure seems to unnecessarily cut the space in half.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 20th, 2018, 8:35 am

If you look closely at the rendering, the first balcony that spans across the lawn doesn't happen until the third level (there's a balcony along the side at the second level). So I think the sightlines would probably be fine -- it would be comparable to sitting under the balcony at a theater.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 1st, 2019, 2:32 pm

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 14th, 2020, 8:33 am

Criticism of the latest plan as retreading mistakes of the past, housing by highways and industry by parks.

http://www.startribune.com/new-plans-fo ... 568774252/

I still feel city’s policies of avoiding new tower near green space, lakes, the river and creek, are misguided and likely led to an outcome of proposed 15 story residential adjacent to I-94 and industry with surface lots by the new park.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » January 11th, 2021, 11:57 am

This is open for comment until 1/15. The debate about the site has gotten testier. Some activists are trying to turn it into a George Floyd Square like area with only BiPOC and ADOS having control and benefiting from it. The activists appear to be using the Environmental Review as means to try and get their demands. We may see this type of activism in other project in our post-George Floyd world.

One of the activists who is on a UHT related Committee got into an argument with a CM's on FB about all this to my dismay since that is no way to solve our differences.

https://mncenter.salsalabs.org/studyuht ... T0bsATfJIg

http://upperharbormpls.com/

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 11th, 2021, 12:12 pm

Some activists are trying to turn it into a George Floyd Square like area with only BiPOC and ADOS having control and benefiting from it.
You know you're allowed to visit and benefit from George Floyd Square? Let's maybe not go full talk radio and compare it to a "no go zone"

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » January 11th, 2021, 12:25 pm

Some activists are trying to turn it into a George Floyd Square like area with only BiPOC and ADOS having control and benefiting from it.
You know you're allowed to visit and benefit from George Floyd Square? Let's maybe not go full talk radio and compare it to a "no go zone"
I should elaborate among the demands are for it to be 100% affordable housing, 100% Northside/ businesses and permits for the proposed park shouldn't be given to the venue. They also stated the park should not be built unless MPRB can ensure it will serve the BIPOC community. Additionally, they are concerned about non-BiPOC folks coming to concerts and making the space unwelcoming to the BIPOC community. There were additional ones.

By benefit, I don't mean that others aren't able to visit. But, that primarily they want the benefits and control to be within their community.

I think much of this is already in the draft plan in spirit at least. The whole thing is honestly confusing. I'm hoping they can find a compromise.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » January 11th, 2021, 12:41 pm

I dont think those demands are realistic. I do think a compromise can be made and from what I understand there is a push for a middle ground in the proposal to at min have it not be a place for people from maple grove drive in for a concert and drive out.
Also the space as is doesnt bring any value to the area(I could be wrong on this).
This whole thing seems like it could be a great opportunity for a part of the city that has for to long never had any major investment, maybe do what the midtown building did for midtown do for the north side.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » January 11th, 2021, 12:47 pm

Can anyone bring context for the Environmental Review (AUAR) ? It is scheduled to be completed after the Council votes on the draft plan. It was scheduled by the Collaborative Planning Committee I believe.

CalMcKenney
Metrodome

Postby CalMcKenney » January 13th, 2021, 2:06 pm

I'm happy to see that the developers and city are engaging with the community to ensure this development actually benefits them. That being said, this is without a doubt a great investment in an area of the city that desperately needs it - and would also benefit all Minneapolis residents. We have to avoid becoming a city that consistently gets in the way of progress. Great cities work through objections to build great projects that will benefit the city as a whole and make the city more attractive to new and existing residents. I hope we can do so on this project. I actually drive by this exact spot somewhat frequently and it always feels like a travesty that our riverfront and our city's greatest asset remains mostly neglected.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » January 14th, 2021, 1:54 pm

Tomorrow 1/15 is the last day to comment on the draft plan.

http://upperharbormpls.com/draft-coordinated-plan/

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » January 28th, 2021, 9:13 am

Looks like they got their delay and will keep pushing for their goals.
""The City needs to take seriously concerned community voices to make sure Upper Harbor Terminal does not become a repeat of the history of environmental and economic pain in the North Side," she said."
https://www.startribune.com/vote-on-min ... 600015890/