Montage (Nye's redevelopment) - 116 E Hennepin Avenue

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Re: Nye's Redevelopment - 100 block of E Hennepin Avenue

Postby exiled_antipodean » April 12th, 2015, 2:15 pm

Minneapolis doesn't ban advertising murals.
They make it harder. A mural is still defined as "A work of graphic art painted on a building wall, which contains no commercial advertising or logos, and which does not serve to advertise or promote any business, product, activity, service, interest or entertainment." (Minneapolis code, 520.160)

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 12th, 2015, 9:50 pm

I remember this was an issue in the Diamond Lake neighborhood where a third party was leading a mural, and the city had to weigh in on if it was legal to have a mural of sea life on the side of a fish store.

Meanwhile some murals near me have a street scene including business names. A neat time capsule.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » April 16th, 2015, 7:59 am

The Planning Commission COW looks at this today.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 29th, 2015, 10:11 am

The Minnesota Twins are saying goodbye to Nye's: http://m.twins.mlb.com/news/article/121 ... naise-room

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 29th, 2015, 12:24 pm

So the project is a fairly sure thing, even if the height/scale isn't determined? I suppose Nye's could leave AND the developer not build his project, but the fact that Nye's is going and going soon seems to suggest that the development -- whatever it becomes -- is imminent.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 29th, 2015, 12:33 pm

The owner of Nye's is a partner in the development. They've said from day 1 that Nye's was closing this summer no matter what.

They haven't applied for anything yet. Alterations to the two historic buildings will be voted on by the HPC, as will the new structure itself since it sits in a historic district. Hard to say how the HPC goes on this one since they are preserving those buildings...sort of.

Then the project itself goes to the Planning Commission, which will likely vote in support. Their decision will almost certainly be appealed by the church, forcing a vote by the full city council. It sure seems like the project has the full support of CM Frey, but that could change depending on the willingness of the developer to make certain improvements, concessions, etc. to address CPED staff's concerns. The 5-story blank wall showed on the most recent plans was a big concern of staff, so they're probably working on solutions to that right now.

Daboink
Metrodome

Postby Daboink » June 18th, 2015, 4:18 pm

I just still do not understand why anyone thinks this is too tall considering what stands across the street...
New bits from the Strib:
http://www.startribune.com/real-estate- ... 308269131/

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » June 18th, 2015, 4:44 pm

I can't believe they would push for LESS underground parking and not more. Do they want to look out at more floors of cars or people? NIMBY's aren't rational beings though.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 18th, 2015, 5:10 pm

Less underground parking in this situation is actually something I'd agree with. If you're doing more you have to dig deeper. That means for time pounding and shaking the earth next to the oldest church(?) in Minneapolis.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 18th, 2015, 5:58 pm

Less underground parking in this situation is actually something I'd agree with. If you're doing more you have to dig deeper. That means for time pounding and shaking the earth next to the oldest church(?) in Minneapolis.
Grant is correct, in that there is very shallow bedrock in this area so you would have to do a lot of demolition which would cause heavy duty vibration that would damage the church. Normally I would agree with more underground, but in this case it is not a good idea.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 18th, 2015, 7:48 pm

I don't know what to take away from this: the project isn't cancelled but there's a lot going against it...

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » June 19th, 2015, 9:04 am

I just still do not understand why anyone thinks this is too tall considering what stands across the street...
New bits from the Strib:
As has been proved time and time again in this city, when the NIMBYs start freaking out, facts don't matter - even undeniable, giant, tall facts.

At 401 Oak Grove a tower was proposed in a very similar situation - literally in the shadow of tall towers.

NIMBY response to the new tower proposal being consistent with existing buildings? "Those tall building should never have been built so they don't count and aren't a part of the discussion."

<derp>

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » June 19th, 2015, 12:27 pm

New bits from the Strib:
Has any project ever not been met with "it's too big?" It doesn't feel like it.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 19th, 2015, 1:24 pm

420 E. Hennepin?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » June 19th, 2015, 1:24 pm

New bits from the Strib:
Has any project ever not been met with "it's too big?" It doesn't feel like it.
The Superior Plating site, in this same neighborhood, as well as 420 Hennepin, also in this neighborhood, were both met with "It's not big enough."

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 19th, 2015, 9:42 pm

This project IS rather ungainly on the site. Height fetish aside.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

diddy
Block E

Postby diddy » June 24th, 2015, 3:27 pm

Rift Magazine just posted this on Facebook: "Cannot verify, or deny, but it seems that Nye's Polonaise may remain open until January 2016." Anybody hear anything about this? Can't say I'm surprised considering the development is delayed.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 24th, 2015, 3:35 pm

I think that from a dollars and cents point of view they would be crazy to close Nye's until they have a solid plan approved by the city and with full financing and no lawsuits to slow it slow. I'm sure that business as picked up some with people wanting to get a last meal in before they close. Not to mention the big last New Years @ Nye's celebration that they could hold and milk for some good money. They are on the river for the fireworks downstream. Think it would definitely be a smart move on their part with things in the air as it is now.

Better to get it out there so people don't just assume that they may already have closed. Better to have some direction so people know that if they want to head there, that it will be there thru 2015!
Last edited by Wedgeguy on June 24th, 2015, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbaur31
City Center

Postby dbaur31 » June 24th, 2015, 3:36 pm

Rift Magazine just posted this on Facebook: "Cannot verify, or deny, but it seems that Nye's Polonaise may remain open until January 2016." Anybody hear anything about this? Can't say I'm surprised considering the development is delayed.
I was at Nye's yesterday and a waitress said the same thing. She was very clear that she didn't really know anything, but she said that January is what she heard.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » June 24th, 2015, 3:36 pm

This month I was sitting at their sidewalk tables having a drink and making chit chat with a lady that helps run the place and she had remarked they don't have plans to close any time soon. In fact, she said she's tired of people constantly asking. I can see her being bombarded with questions.