Montage (Nye's redevelopment) - 116 E Hennepin Avenue

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Re: Nye's Redevelopment - 100 block of E Hennepin Avenue

Postby bapster2006 » February 14th, 2015, 11:33 am

This angle shows that there is about 15 feet between the future tower and the rectory of Our Lady of Lourdes, and the closeness of the Pinnacle tower to the site. Nye's to the left, rectory to the right.

ImageNye's tower site 2-13-15 by bapster2006, on Flickr

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 14th, 2015, 11:40 am

They said at the presentation it would be 36'

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » February 14th, 2015, 12:24 pm

Wow, my sense of distance is way off! I got a bunch of different angles though so I can take "after" shots when the whole thing is done in a few years.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 22nd, 2015, 12:42 pm

Kind of surprised nobody posted this yet: Preservationists says the new Nye's building is too tall. http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2015 ... yerise.php

I assume it's barely a roadblock at all. Some are worried going past the 10-story limit (which is an exception to a 4-story limit?) sets a precedent, but isn't one already set with the enormous towers surrounding this site?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 22nd, 2015, 2:02 pm

I never get this stuff.....either the developer is within their boundaries and can build the project, or it's not and they're asking for permission to exceed a preexisting guideline (a variance), which they may or may not be granted. I guess I didn't think this project was outside the realm of what's considered "normal" for the area, although perhaps if a historic designation was given to the area recently to try and maintain a certain look or feel, then I can see what the hub-bub is about. However, since the developer is willing to move and save the two most historic buildings on the parcel, it seems like they're doing quite a lot to "play nice" with the neighborhood.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » February 23rd, 2015, 9:48 am

Kind of surprised nobody posted this yet: Preservationists says the new Nye's building is too tall. http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2015 ... yerise.php

I assume it's barely a roadblock at all. Some are worried going past the 10-story limit (which is an exception to a 4-story limit?) sets a precedent, but isn't one already set with the enormous towers surrounding this site?
That author seems a little snide and unprofessional. There's not even a semblance of journalistic integrity there. Then again, it is city pages.

But seriously, it's hilarious for preservationists (which in this case really is just a cover for NIMBY) to say that a building of pretty much the same height as two that are less than a block away in either direction will somehow transform the neighborhood and set a precedent. Also LOL at the author calling a 35 story proposed building "gigantic."

These people who'd rather see nothing new ever built again so their own property values continue to rise are terrible.

Munch'n
Nicollet Mall

Postby Munch'n » March 16th, 2015, 7:07 pm

Meet me in Wells

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 16th, 2015, 7:53 pm

I've never heard of such a complaint. It's like saying I don't want the city to fix the sewer under my street because if they hit a gas pipe my home could blow up. If the church was damaged it would be fixed by the developer/GC, so what's the problem, or whats the REAL problem?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 16th, 2015, 9:49 pm

It's the oldest church in the city. It's not out of the realm of possiblity that the building could suffer irreperable harm. No, it shouldn't stop the project but the developer needs to demonstrate the god faith and resources to make any and all efforts to preserve and/or repair the church.

Of all the complaints about the project, it's frankly odd to focus on this one as unreasonable.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » March 17th, 2015, 7:03 am

If this is the biggest issue that could keep the building from being built, the developer needs to work with the church to come up with a solution. The church's complain isn't that the building shouldn't be built, it's that the construction process may cause damage to the historic church. All that's really needed is some added reinforcements for the church to minimize any damage that may be cause by vibrations during the construction. The developer could even offer a bit of cash to improve the structural integrity of the church.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 17th, 2015, 8:02 am

The church's complain isn't that the building shouldn't be built, it's that the construction process may cause damage to the historic church.
No, they definitely don't want the building to be built: http://ourladyoflourdesmn.com/news/news ... ious-jewel

They're having a little shindig Thursday night to start the fundraising. Protecting the integrity of the church's structure is a legitimate concern. Unfortunately, they're also whipping up the rhetoric about "character" and all of the other scare-words. "Iconic"

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » March 17th, 2015, 8:13 am

strongly opposed
iconic church
warp speed
violates the neighborhood plan
obliterates the zoning code
runs afoul

*eye roll*

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 17th, 2015, 8:35 am

It's the oldest church in the city. It's not out of the realm of possiblity that the building could suffer irreperable harm. No, it shouldn't stop the project but the developer needs to demonstrate the god faith and resources to make any and all efforts to preserve and/or repair the church.

Of all the complaints about the project, it's frankly odd to focus on this one as unreasonable.
Seems unreasonable to me -- seems like a BIG stretch to assume all of these things. There's more to it than just a concern, I feel....

P.S. I'm an active Christian, and was raised Polish-Catholic, so it's not like I have an agenda against the church.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 17th, 2015, 8:40 am

Cant the developer just put in a large insurance plan for the church, but at the same time hire a group to look at their foundation? And maybe work on putting in some supports in it?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 17th, 2015, 8:42 am

I wish I too was able to assume that everyone's words were 100% genuine and in no way bely some kind of hidden agenda.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 17th, 2015, 9:31 am

I wish I too was able to assume that everyone's words were 100% genuine and in no way bely some kind of hidden agenda.
You should try it sometime. Assuming good faith on the part of others makes one's life much happier.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » March 17th, 2015, 9:34 am

Whether or not those people's motives are 100% genuine doesn't matter...and they probably aren't in some cases. The point is, the possibility of damage from construction is real here, and shouldn't be discounted as just more "nimbyism". As many have said, there are ways to circumvent this or at least greatly reduce the chances of damage...and that is what should be presented to the public and the church. I wonder if there were many issues with the other large construction around the church in the late 80s. I think this tower would be a little bit closer?

Totally agree with what David said. Of all of their reasons to be against this, that one isn't the one to pick apart.
Last edited by mnmike on March 17th, 2015, 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 17th, 2015, 9:36 am

Even when it's provably categorically false? No thanks, I'll pass.

Is this a quote from a group that wants to make sure the structure of their building is protected (which is a legitimate concern but one that can be worked with) or one that is willing to throw whatever they can at the wall and hope some of it sticks?
A thirty story apartment tower is currently proposed for the Nye's property. The Church of Our Lady of Lourdes is strongly opposed to this development for several reasons, including the negative impact that construction would have on our historic and iconic church. This development is moving ahead at warp speed without due and prudent consideration for the interests of the neighborhood, including the community of Our Lady of Lourdes. The proposed development at the Nye's site violates the neighborhood plan, obliterates the zoning code, and runs afoul of the clear guidelines for the historic district in which Lourdes and Nye's are located. It is time for parishioners and friends of Our Lady of Lourdes to come together to protect our historic church, faith community, and our neighborhood. We will gather on the Feast of St. Joseph, Protector of the Church, to celebrate our community, to share important information, to listen to you, and to raise funds for the protection of our Precious Jewel.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 17th, 2015, 9:41 am

The structure should be protected, but the church has basically come out yelling "We don't want to be a constructive part of this process." If I were more spiteful I'd say there should be a crew jack hammering boulders right next to them until the church collapses, but that's mean.

If they came out and said they have concerns about the structure of the building that'd be fine, and even if they went so far as to say "we don't think construction can happen in a way that protects the church" and used that to say they were against the building, that'd be fine and genuine.

But when they say "here's 20 reasons we are opposed" and none of them even include the structure of the building, I have to wonder if their true motive is protecting the church, or just opposing the development because they don't like it.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » March 17th, 2015, 9:44 am

The structure should be protected, but the church has basically come out yelling "We don't want to be a constructive part of this process." If I were more spiteful I'd say there should be a crew jack hammering boulders right next to them until the church collapses, but that's mean.

If they came out and said they have concerns about the structure of the building that'd be fine, and even if they went so far as to say "we don't think construction can happen in a way that protects the church" and used that to say they were against the building, that'd be fine and genuine.

But when they say "here's 20 reasons we are opposed" and none of them even include the structure of the building, I have to wonder if their true motive is protecting the church, or just opposing the development because they don't like it.
What are you talking about? They have clearly listed that as one of their main reasons. As noted in the entire story from WCCO. Again, not saying some of their other reasons aren't plain dumb....but, that one is valid.
Last edited by mnmike on March 17th, 2015, 9:46 am, edited 3 times in total.