The Hub Minneapolis - 600 Washington Ave SE (284' - 26 Stories)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
TheUrbanGopher
Nicollet Mall

The Hub Minneapolis - 600 Washington Ave SE (284' - 26 Stories)

Postby TheUrbanGopher » May 26th, 2015, 1:16 pm

Adam Voge reporting that former Opus developers are planning a 27 story (!!!!!) tower somewhere in Stadium Village. Rendering looks to have it where Espresso Expose, Bun Mi, Big Ten & Village Wok are currently located.

http://finance-commerce.com/2015/05/har ... at-u-of-m/

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Re: Stadium Village

Postby FISHMANPET » May 26th, 2015, 1:28 pm

I met someone at a neighborhood bbq last week that was a member of the church that's tucked back there, she says a developer keeps trying to buy their parking lot on that block. Meant to post that in a rumor thread but we really don't have one, and now it seems relevant now. But the word I've always heard is that the owners of Village Wok own that whole building and they make good enough money that they don't want to put in the effort to sell the building or something like that. But I'd imagine if you roll over a big enough pile of cash anything can happen.

adam.voge
Block E

Postby adam.voge » May 26th, 2015, 1:31 pm

Adam Voge reporting that former Opus developers are planning a 27 story (!!!!!) tower somewhere in Stadium Village. Rendering looks to have it where Espresso Expose, Bun Mi, Big Ten & Village Wok are currently located.

http://finance-commerce.com/2015/05/har ... at-u-of-m/
Location confirmed.

And FISHMANPET, that church site and this one are the same. Developers have the Village Wok et al under contract, EDIT, but are still talking to the church.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » May 26th, 2015, 1:35 pm

If this actually happens (and I have serious doubts), Doran can go eat crow for selling his U of M properties and telling the media how overbuilt the area is.

TheUrbanGopher
Nicollet Mall

Postby TheUrbanGopher » May 26th, 2015, 1:36 pm

My initial quick take: Don't approve the tower unless there will be the same amount or a greater number of retail spaces that are present today. If it is just the Village Wok building, that is 6 retail spaces (the Big Ten sub shop counted separately). That bumps up to 8 if you include FedEx and Abdul's.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 26th, 2015, 1:44 pm

In support of the development (obviously), but that would be a damn shame to lose all of those small quick-service restaurant options.

Jamba Juice and a coffee shop (not necessarily that independent one) could probably return in the new building, but it's hard to see a way forward for little guys like Bun Mi, Abdul's, and Big10 (the sub shop). Maybe Big10 (the restaurant) finds another space nearby or the owners opt to retire...who knows.

I think you have to assume this deal includes the FedEx building, so yes, 8 retail spaces there today. Hard to see the new building including even half that once you account for lobbies, elevator banks, and all of the other modern trappings that take up space.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 26th, 2015, 1:53 pm

Eye spy with my little eye a parking podium...

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » May 26th, 2015, 1:58 pm

Yeah, obligatory "Why can't they just use the massive ramp behind them or take the light rail? Time to remove all parking minimums" post.

But really, another ESG design with a parking podium in one of the least car-dependent places in the city. I'm absolutely shocked.
Last edited by acs on May 26th, 2015, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » May 26th, 2015, 2:03 pm

The ramp behind is specifically used for the hospital. I highly doubt they will give up spaces for a development. I am sure more people use the light rail now, but the ramp is still very busy.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 26th, 2015, 2:05 pm

Jamba Juice closed around the beggining of the school year. Big 10 has a couple other locations, I'm sure the business could survive a closure for a while. The coffee shop is also technically a chain, with the other location being the Purple Onion in Dinkytown. The Big 10 restaurant and Big 10 sub shop are pretty inseparable, I can't see one coming back but not the other. Fedex is obviously a chain and could return if it wanted, and could probably fit in pretty well in with the 3 floors of office space, it doesn't really need a streetfront presence. Village Wok owns the buildings so they'll be sitting on a fat stack of cash, they can do basically whatever they want.

So you're left with Bun Mi and Abdul's that would have no where to go if these storefronts closed. Bun Mi seems busy enough that they're doing pretty well, if they needed to move down to, say, where Papa John's used to be, they'd probably be able to afford it (though lose some of the foot traffic). Abdul's, that's just such a weird space. I'd be curious to know the history of how it got carved out of the FedEx building (I know it was Village Pizza before, and before that a coffee shop, but I don't know beyond that). I'm guessing you couldn't build a space like that these days. Or maybe you could, and stick it in some alcove along Harvard St or something.

As for parking, the lot behind is owned by the hospital, they probably wouldn't want to share. Not sure exactly what the parking minimums would be for this, as this site has a patchwork of zonings. The sites specifically look to be C1 (the 2 story building) and C2 (the Fedex/Abdul building), and maybe some R6 in the back, as well as University Overlay, Pedestrian Overlay, and we don't really know what the mix would be. I know University Overlay starts with a half space per bedroom, but that can easily reduced by 70% or something. But it's complicated.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 26th, 2015, 2:10 pm

Overall I'm going to hold my judgement until I see full renderings and plans. But I know for a fact this is going to have some large opposition to it. I would like to see Bun Mi, Village Wok, and Espresso Exposé make an agreement with the developer to move in when ready. Similar to Sally's

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 26th, 2015, 2:39 pm

Agreed on the retail space requirement, though maybe asking to replace all 8 is a bit much. Maybe it's not a huge deal to have a bunch of parking, but this whole podium + spaces right against the street on levels 2-4/5 is pretty frustrating. There's no way to configure the parking to get residential units facing the street instead?

Also, what church are we talking about? Isn't the building on the east side of Harvard (across from Grace Lutheran) a dental frat building? Or is it now a church?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 26th, 2015, 2:48 pm

Grace Luthern owns the parking lot across Harvard, that's the property in play, not the church itself.

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » May 26th, 2015, 2:48 pm

As FISHMANPET outlines most of the current tenants could be accommodated in a new building or have a financial interest in the project proceeding, so I'm not really sure where the effective opposition is going to come from.

To be sure, there will be people who claim the building is too tall, or out of context, or whatever, but this is so far from the actual center of any SFH neighborhood that it will not really be taken seriously.

As for parking requirements, given the proximity to a transit stop, and the potential new regulations to reduce parking minimums elsewhere in the city (University District is currently exempted) I would be surprised if they could not make a successful variance to reduce them.

But let's face it, many of the people that would live here have family money to support their lifestyle, and they will probably choose to pay the $120/month to shelter their car so they can drive home to suburbs on the weekend and do their laundry.

Or, the views being what they will be from here (especially good to the west) it might attract actual professionals. As we've seen downtown and the North Loop, where there are no parking minimums, developers are building a space per unit in many places.

In short, the constraints and possibilities on this one are mostly private, not public.

Also I would comment that Doran has been more invested in the Dinkytown market and only developed one property over here.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 26th, 2015, 2:53 pm

Yes, it would be interesting if perhaps the upper 8 floors of a proposal like this were seriously targeted to a professional demographic, meaning one bedroom units with a higher level of finish and perhaps an exclusive elevator bank serving them.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 26th, 2015, 3:07 pm

If this actually happens (and I have serious doubts), Doran can go eat crow for selling his U of M properties and telling the media how overbuilt the area is.
Others said it above, but at first glance this project might not be student housing. You could definitely sell non-students on that location if you wanted to.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 26th, 2015, 3:08 pm

A former coworker of mine has always wanted a rooftop bar in this area, though 27 floors may be a bit too high for that... But Big10 can operate on the top floor if they want.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 26th, 2015, 3:09 pm

I'm sure there are plenty of faculty that would love to completely decimate any notion of work-life separation, and by extension project that onto their grad students.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 26th, 2015, 3:15 pm

Not even just faculty, I could see downtown office types springing for it. I wouldn't have been able to afford it by a longshot my first year out of school, but graduating early, almost all my friends still lived on campus my first year in Loring Park and I spent most weekends in Dinkytown. I guess a bunch of 22 year old Carlson grads maybe wouldn't do much to make it appealing to non-students, but who knows. Depends what the unit layouts are.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Opus Stadium Village Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » May 26th, 2015, 3:19 pm

I bet they'll all be 4-bedroom units with Jack-and-Jill baths.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.