Rafter - 333 Hennepin Ave E (290' - 26 stories)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
J2arkitekt
City Center

Re: Mortenson / USBank site - 333 Hennepin Ave E (~28 stories / 280 units)

Postby J2arkitekt » July 21st, 2017, 11:54 am

I am starting to think for some reason we just get bad/cheap finishes with horribly shielded (or unshielded) mechanicals.
Look no further than the International Energy Conservation Code. The requirements for solid wall, materials, etc. all vary by geographic zone, severely limiting cold climate locations. Some cities (Chicago, for example) have their own energy code that circumvents a lot of the restrictions. But that's the exception. Really energy efficient buildings are either less attractive and affordable, or more attractive and expensive. Land values and economics drive what can be supported. Rental rates in Vancouver, Chicago, New York, etc. support the expense, where most other locations cannot.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 21st, 2017, 11:56 am

And as for vancouver...I kind of feel like every residential tower in this area is better than any of ours:

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.2722247 ... 312!8i6656
Eh, they look pretty similar to LPM or Skyscape. Different people like different things, of course.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » July 21st, 2017, 11:56 am

Interesting...

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » July 21st, 2017, 11:58 am

LPM is decent, but has giant exposed mechanicals and catwalks on the top, which ruins the whole thing for me...If only they had shielded with another level of facade. LPM is by far the best newer building though...I think Nordhaus is turning out OK.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » July 21st, 2017, 11:59 am

And as for vancouver...I kind of feel like every residential tower in this area is better than any of ours:

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.2722247 ... 312!8i6656
Really? Only if you like walking past full-block sidewalk-adjacent fences and retaining walls.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » July 21st, 2017, 12:00 pm

Yes really, look at the buildings, I am not talking about the street level. And actually, now that I look again, I see beautiful landscaping and townhome type entries at the street level...so not sure what the problem is there? Also, I don't see any full half block parking podiums in that immediate area.

Brenns
City Center

Postby Brenns » July 21st, 2017, 12:10 pm

I don't like it, but it's not as outrage inducing as half the condo buildings in Dinkytown/Stadium Village, or the White Castle/Holiday cluster happening down the block. They did an adequate job addressing the lack of transparency along 4th, and if I hold my hand over the white/gray/orange tower part in the render, the streetscape along Hennepin looks fine.
It's blocky and uncreative, but I'll gladly take the housing density.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » July 21st, 2017, 12:12 pm

Given a choice between an architectural marvel with no street retail, curb cuts, and other anti-pedestrian design features and a lackluster tower that adds to the foot traffic of the neighborhood, I'll take the latter.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » July 21st, 2017, 12:14 pm

I don't know...I think that vancouver neighborhood looks very pleasant to walk in? Did you look? Anyway, doesn't really matter...looks good to me though, I'd rather walk there than most of treeless big one way street NE.

Lets hope this building turns out decent! I do like the added density, of course. I just hope we don't get anymore Nic on 5ths...I am by that one every day, and it is just awful. From the street and above.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » July 21st, 2017, 12:42 pm

It looks pleasant enough - but it sends a clear signal from the lack of street engagement: There's nothing to do here unless you're rich enough to live here, so you should go somewhere else.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » July 21st, 2017, 12:45 pm

Well i think that is preliminarily just a residential only area...so it is a bit different. And i kind of disagree with your assessment, because that area is surrounded by giant public parks and waterfront, and the Yaletown business district and transit station is a couple blocks over...but whatever. Just a nice residential area that also has public amenities, and there is nothing wrong with that, whether it is rich or not. It also happens to have many of the amenities that us urbanists like as well, but no, not on every single block. Great area, I would gladly have it in Minneapolis. Anyway, sorry, that is a bit of a tangent:)

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » July 21st, 2017, 1:22 pm

As someone who has never been to Vancouver, I can only go off what I see in the provided link

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 21st, 2017, 2:12 pm

condo buildings in Dinkytown/Stadium Village
You mean the apartments that were desperately needed for the area to mitigate a surge of students that desired living closer to campus? Or are we talking about the architectural features, which I can somewhat understand? In a way.

GILBball
Metrodome

Postby GILBball » July 21st, 2017, 8:10 pm

Feels like Mortenson usually has their ducks in a row. Think we can expect this to break ground quickly?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 21st, 2017, 10:13 pm

We'll see, given the construction labor shortage that's been holding up other projects, but I think so. They've been planning this for the whole time they were building the new USBank building.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Brenns
City Center

Postby Brenns » July 24th, 2017, 8:16 am

condo buildings in Dinkytown/Stadium Village
You mean the apartments that were desperately needed for the area to mitigate a surge of students that desired living closer to campus? Or are we talking about the architectural features, which I can somewhat understand? In a way.
:roll:
Yes, the architectural features, since the entire context of this conversation is "I don't like how this proposed tower looks." I frequently drive by the building on 4th St and 13th Ave, and I challenge anyone to argue the aesthetic merits of this monstrosity.

J2arkitekt
City Center

Postby J2arkitekt » July 24th, 2017, 9:53 am

I frequently drive by the building on 4th St and 13th Ave, and I challenge anyone to argue the aesthetic merits of this monstrosity.
Challenge accepted. The design of the building addresses the pedestrian experience with a permeable and transparent façade, canopies over the adjacent sidewalk, and ample bicycle parking. It uses durable exterior materials, including real brick at the first floor. It is parked internally, eliminating yet another surface lot from the area. It replaced a rapidly aging brick/wood three story walk up circa 1960-ish. Do I like the aesthetics of that building? Not really. I can appreciate its role in bettering the overall experience of the public as well as adding much needed housing for students.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » July 24th, 2017, 3:09 pm

As someone who has never been to Vancouver, I can only go off what I see in the provided link
I think you might be pleasantly surprised if you ever did visit. While the pictures might not convey it, I always found Vancouver to be very inviting and walkable, I always wished our areas had the street presence they do.

Brenns
City Center

Postby Brenns » July 25th, 2017, 11:32 am

I frequently drive by the building on 4th St and 13th Ave, and I challenge anyone to argue the aesthetic merits of this monstrosity.
Challenge accepted. The design of the building addresses the pedestrian experience with a permeable and transparent façade, canopies over the adjacent sidewalk, and ample bicycle parking. It uses durable exterior materials, including real brick at the first floor. It is parked internally, eliminating yet another surface lot from the area. It replaced a rapidly aging brick/wood three story walk up circa 1960-ish. Do I like the aesthetics of that building? Not really. I can appreciate its role in bettering the overall experience of the public as well as adding much needed housing for students.
I think you're missing my point. Functionally, yes, the building may be just fine and provide a strictly functional improvement to the neighborhood, but I'm not arguing that. The massing and material aesthetic of the 333 project was under debate, and I'm arguing that if I'm going to go after ugly buildings, there are worse offenders to get wound up about.
Internal parking and bike racks aside, the 4th & 13th building has almost no facade articulation aside from some clumsy entry bump-outs and material changes, and has what is easily the most obnoxious color scheme of any of the new cookie-cutter apartment buildings. This building will only become more of a dated eyesore over time - you yourself admit you don't like how the building looks.
Anyway - this is getting way off topic, so I'll stop there.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » July 25th, 2017, 11:52 am

Counterpoint: I love that building's yellow color scheme. Reminds me of a sunrise.