The Link at Prospect Park - 2929 University Ave SE

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
GILBball
Metrodome

Re: The Link at Prospect Park - 2929 University Ave SE

Postby GILBball » February 17th, 2018, 5:42 pm

Also the low rise portion that opened a few months ago is apparently not leasing well, like 12 units leased so far. Let's hope that picks up when it's finished.
I think some of these projects that are near-ish to the U might have problems like this for a while. With the projects over here, even though they're about as close to campus as stuff in the Mill District, it feels like they are student-oriented (are they?) which could really hurt lease up. Not a ton of adults/families/seniors/whatever want to live in "student housing" and students don't really move into new apartments during the school year.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » February 18th, 2018, 11:02 am

Also the low rise portion that opened a few months ago is apparently not leasing well, like 12 units leased so far. Let's hope that picks up when it's finished.
I think some of these projects that are near-ish to the U might have problems like this for a while. With the projects over here, even though they're about as close to campus as stuff in the Mill District, it feels like they are student-oriented (are they?) which could really hurt lease up. Not a ton of adults/families/seniors/whatever want to live in "student housing" and students don't really move into new apartments during the school year.
Agreed. No student is going to move in during the school year. They will have already had a lease by the time the first semester started, and not many mid year transfers to take leases now.

jmoney
City Center

Postby jmoney » February 20th, 2018, 8:06 am

The majority of The Link is going to be student housing. I highly doubt professionals/families/seniors need a fully furnished 3 or 4 bedroom or want to live with a bunch of undergraduate students.

jmoney
City Center

Postby jmoney » February 23rd, 2018, 11:33 am

Fresh Thyme had a chance to knock this one out of the park. The southeast corner of the store looks to be where they are going to put the community room. It looks much more like an employee break room from the street than a community room.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » February 23rd, 2018, 12:21 pm

Fresh Thyme had a chance to knock this one out of the park. The southeast corner of the store looks to be where they are going to put the community room. It looks much more like an employee break room from the street than a community room.
Their Saint Louis Park store on Excelsior has the break room on the corner. The next development they're attached to, this needs to come up in the planning meeting.

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Postby karen nelson » February 24th, 2018, 6:48 pm

The majority of The Link is going to be student housing. I highly doubt professionals/families/seniors need a fully furnished 3 or 4 bedroom or want to live with a bunch of undergraduate students.
There are lots of empty nesters that want out of a house, want to be in city but still want lots of room and have the money for it. And there of plenty for folks who just want to be in the cities and see apartments and condos on map around PP and Westgate and Raymond LRT as good central locations or people who used to live in single family homes in the neighborhood and want to stay nearby. Developers in the area see good demand for large apartments from these types.

But if the place gets over run with undergrads...

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Postby karen nelson » March 6th, 2018, 12:30 pm

Any word when the Fresh Thyme will be opening?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 6th, 2018, 12:46 pm

April 1st, I heard, though I can't remember where.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

jmoney
City Center

Postby jmoney » March 8th, 2018, 1:04 pm

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/licensing/WCMSP-208834

I think it is sometime in the middle of April. They haven't started stocking the place yet. They actually just put up the sign this week. Anyways no on site taproom like the Milwaukee location. Two thumbs down!

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » March 8th, 2018, 1:50 pm

The store manager came to the last Seward Neighborhood Group meeting and said the soft opening would be April 11.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

transplant
Metrodome

Postby transplant » March 9th, 2018, 12:14 pm

I think the tower portion is targeting young professionals and not so much students. It is mostly one and two bedrooms with nicer finishes and a much higher price point. It also does not have lockable bedrooms. The low rise is definitely for students. From what I heard just last night the tower is actually doing well and in high demand. The low rise is slow going but probably will pick up in the summer/ fall for the reasons already discussed.

jmoney
City Center

Postby jmoney » March 26th, 2018, 10:18 am

They opened the parking lot on Friday. I didn't realize that they have parking underneath this building. They also started stocking the shelves so they are definitely getting pretty close. I planned on checking out the inside sometime this week. It looks like they just have to finish cleaning up around the outside. Hopefully the city has them repave the east most road because it was destroyed.

JDsemblance
Block E

Postby JDsemblance » March 27th, 2018, 10:28 pm

said the soft opening would be April 11.
Accurate. They'll be open for a few hours (4 to 7, I believe?) to test out their systems and hook up friends/neighbors with free food and just get people inside. I think hard launch is the next day.

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Postby karen nelson » March 28th, 2018, 10:49 am

I suspect this will be a very busy store - it is reasonably priced, complete grocery store that is produce centric - but still not a huge store.

I shop at the one in Vadnais Heights on way home from work and it's never that busy, I'm guessing this one will be much busier.

Whoever made this happen, glad they did.

blo442
City Center

Postby blo442 » April 11th, 2018, 7:31 am

Fresh Thyme is open! Went to check it out for the grand opening this morning, first impressions are:
This is fantastic for the neighborhood and the U. As a student, I will definitely do a good portion of my shopping here because of the convenience. It is a little confusing to get to the store from the light rail because the main entrance faces a parking lot in the back of the building. Honestly, though, it's a minor issue compared to finally having a grocery store within a ten-minute transit ride from campus.
Prospect Park itself just got a lot more walkable and urban. With this store plus all the other development going on in the area, this is going to be a very nice place to live soon.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 12th, 2018, 6:04 pm

Random thought, but it's interesting they didn't go with a University Avenue address for Fresh Thyme. Who sees 24 30th Ave SE and has any clue where that is?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 13th, 2018, 10:33 am

I see your point, but I think the post office decides addresses, not developers, right?

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 13th, 2018, 10:48 am

Or is it based on where your entrance is?

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » April 13th, 2018, 11:19 am

I thought you could choose any street where you have an entrance? If I recall, the Walker changed theirs from Hennepin Avenue to Vineland Place after their new addition (why they'd do this, I'm not sure...maybe because people driving using Google Maps will be guided closer to their parking?)

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 13th, 2018, 1:02 pm

At least where I work, the head building official assigns addresses and communicates that with the post office. I'd assume the developer or Fresh Thyme simply didn't request a University Ave address; which I agree, that seems like an odd oversight