Prospect Park Senior Living (Malcom and 4th St SE)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Prospect Park Senior Living (Malcom and 4th St SE)

Postby bapster2006 » April 6th, 2017, 3:54 pm

3033 University Ave SE. This is one massive project with the 10 stories on Malcolm and 4th St filled up. 295 units.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 196996.pdf

Anondson
IDS Center

Northeast (and Southeast) - General Topics

Postby Anondson » April 6th, 2017, 6:24 pm

I'm kinda liking this. Is there a good reason to lower the bike parking so much from the required bike parking of over 300ish to 60ish?

DanB
Metrodome

Re: Northeast (and Southeast) - General Topics

Postby DanB » April 6th, 2017, 6:35 pm

Happy to see this development going forward. An earlier set of plans where presented to Prospect Park around 2 months ago. The earlier plans had an additional car entrance off of Malcolm which I am happy to see removed and were a story taller. I believe the reasoning behind the bike parking reduction is that they are senior units so they figured residents would not be biking as much.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 6th, 2017, 8:43 pm

Well not with that attitude they won't be!

DanB
Metrodome

Postby DanB » April 6th, 2017, 11:15 pm

I never said I agreed with the bike parking reduction. On another note I wonder if the surface parking lot will be a problem with getting approval.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 7th, 2017, 7:54 am

I'm as big of a biking proponent as anyone, but remember that 172 of the 295 units (~60%) are either assisted living or memory care. It seems pretty reasonable to assume there will be less bike parking demand here than for other 295 unit buildings. Though it would be easier to support a 60% reduction than an 80% reduction.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » April 7th, 2017, 7:56 am

Even though this is steps from a light rail station, I think the surface lot is fine. You've got a daycare (which, realistically, will still have a good number of AM/PM dropoffs by car), the need for at-grade dropoffs for senior citizens, and guest parking. Balancing out the surface lot (all hidden but for 60' off 30th Ave) you've got... One curb cut for the whole development (2 for the entire block!), active entrances along 4th, entrances/plenty of windows along Malcom, and the daycare having an entrance along University. Most of the surface lot isn't much worse than old apartment buildings against an alley with some parking,

phop
Landmark Center

Postby phop » April 7th, 2017, 7:43 pm

Also a new retail node at the 30th and 4th intersection, interestingly.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

3004-3024 4th St SE and 3033 University Ave SE

Postby Qhaberl » April 10th, 2017, 8:03 am

April 13, 2017
Planning comission Committee of the whole

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 196996.pdf

"For the Prospect Park Senior Project, the applicant is proposing a building with two building masses. Along 4th Street and 30th Avenue, the applicant is proposing a six-story building. Along Malcom and University Avenue, the building is proposed to be 10 stories in height (approximately 115 feet in height) with a three story portion along University Avenue. The proposed building would have approximately 295 units and 348 beds: (123 independent senior living units, 118 assisted senior living units, and 54 memory care units) along with approximately 8,087 square feet of commercial space (6,235 square foot ground floor child care facility and 1,852 square feet of retail space)."

"In total, the proposed building has approximately 303,503 square feet of floor area (excluding underground parking area) and a floor area ratio of 4.26. The building is proposed to be clad in brick, four colors/ types of metal panels, burnished block and fiber cement panels. Currently, the applicant shows 153 parking spaces: 121 parking spaces in the garage and 32 spaces at grade. All vehicles would access the site from 30th Avenue Southeast."

Project site
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201704 ... a08726.jpg[/IMG]

Project renderings
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201704 ... 9cdade.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Qhaberl on April 10th, 2017, 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Prospect Park - General Topics

Postby grant1simons2 » July 31st, 2017, 8:49 pm

Pretty nice update to the senior living proposal

http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 202558.pdf

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Re: Prospect Park Senior Living (Malcom and 4th St SE)

Postby Qhaberl » August 1st, 2017, 6:47 am

Looks pretty nice. This area is absolutely densifying at such a quick rate, it's wonderful to see. I can't wait to see the prospect park area in five years. It is going to change just as quickly, if not quicker, then downtown East.

DanB
Metrodome

Postby DanB » September 12th, 2017, 8:07 pm

Project is going to the Planning Commission on October 2nd.

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » March 15th, 2018, 12:07 pm

The senior living project now has a name: The Pillars of Prospect Park
http://oppidan.com/properties/senior-ho ... spect-park

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Postby karen nelson » March 15th, 2018, 12:14 pm

That is going to be a very nice place to be a senior -, across the street from a grocery store, a nearby a new park, Surly's nearby, light rail...

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » March 16th, 2018, 6:51 am

Don't forget the liquor store at the grocery store!

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Postby karen nelson » March 16th, 2018, 9:50 am

;)

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Re: RE: Re: Prospect Park - General Topics

Postby karen nelson » April 16th, 2018, 8:33 pm

The senior living project now has a name: The Pillars of Prospect Park
http://oppidan.com/properties/senior-ho ... spect-park
That seventh floor roof deck area should be very nice.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » April 17th, 2018, 6:54 am

Have they put fences up around the old business yet? Have been out of town for a few months, so wanted to know what was new.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » May 11th, 2018, 9:26 am

Such shoddy reporting... the article lists the church address (22 Malcolm Av. SE) only in the article. So anyone wanting to really know where this is being built, can't really understand that from it. I wrote the author and provided an aerial image from their presentation deck. So lazy.

Oppidan bringing senior care center to Prospect Park neighborhood

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Postby karen nelson » May 19th, 2018, 2:22 am

So the bike parking reduction seems very short sighted to me if it is for whole plan. The assisted care and memory units will not just have residents, they will need a fair amount of employees. The day care - will have employees and parents dropping off kids via bikes, as well as the residents and senior residents getting tons of visitors.

This development is right off the U of MN transit way which brings easy bike access to campuses, to the downtown Mpls, river front via Dinkytown Greenway and easy access to St. Paul, such as Como Park, not to mention all the businesses within easy biking distance
And then there is whole Green Fourth meant to encourage peds and biking,, correct? And won't residents be getting a fair amount of deliveries from local restaurants etc, down we want to encourage that to be on bike also.

I live in condos nearby that have lots of 50-60 year old owners, and maybe 30 percent of units are graduate students rentals. The bike parking needed in our units is getting out of control. Almost every car park space in underground parking has multiple owner bikes and then public racks in corner of garages.are full and we need more. We have no retail, employers, just residents.

And on the senior residents and biking, I think people are missing what tech will do for biking popularity in next 10-15 years, ebikes in particular.

I'm in my 50s and a typical out of shape, overweight American but I'm now ebiking from near this development to my workplace in Oakdale because of a pedal assist ebike that makes the commute faster and makes it possible to arrive at workplace (without showers) as not a stinky mess (coming home I can get more of a workout). And the amount of biking I am eagerly doing all over town to retail, parks, restaurants is such a contrast compared to what I did with my regular bike.

I'm in a FB group for other owners of the same brand of ebike that is loved by boomers and in that FB group fairly disabled, older people post again and again how these pedal assist ebikes have gotten them biking again after decades of not,. and have much improved their health, with some even ditching the ebikes eventually for regular bikes.

Battery tech is getting 15 - 20 cheaper every year, so how cheap and light might super comfortable, stable, ebikes that can easily haul heavy loads, haul kids to daycare etc, be in 10 years? And other tech for bikes is getting better (one start up is now 3D printing super light weight carbon bike for about $300, and we'll get improved weather protections for bikes also )

Only saving grace for this lack of bike parking will be that even the small amount of underground car parking they have may not be needed with ride-hail popularity and eventual cheap ride-hail autonomous vehicles, so that car parking will be available for bikes and bike parking.

Place should have tons of bike parking for employees and visitors at grade and tons of below grade resident bike parking and have good set up for retail deliveries and ride-hail car drop offs.