Manufactured Housing/N. Minneapolis Revitalization Efforts

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
rlatta
Block E

Manufactured Housing/N. Minneapolis Revitalization Efforts

Postby rlatta » July 24th, 2017, 4:19 pm

Hi all,

New guy here. I have a couple of questions about some northside revitalization efforts:
1. Any updates on Sm+rt homes? I first read this spring about last summer's installation of a new modular bungalow at 4309 Irving Ave S. The articles I read signaled their hopefulness in building and installing many more homes in the area. But after last summer's extensive press on the initiative, I haven't really heard anything about it.

2. I heard about another initiative that took place in the early 2000s, in which a developer tried (and failed, due to several construction and design issues) to place multiple manufactured homes in and near the Hawthorne neighborhood. A city planner told me it was called 'Hawthorn Homestead', but didn't give me much other information.

The goal of this thread is me hoping to learn about the successes, failures, and future of manufactured and modular houses in the cities.

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Manufactured Housing/N. Minneapolis Revitalization Efforts

Postby David Greene » July 25th, 2017, 8:44 pm

I know "manufactured housing" has a specific definition but it's relevant to recall that a good amount of our housing stock came from kit homes sold by Sears, Montgomery Ward and others.

Over the weekend I discovered that all of the building permit cards from the city are online via the Hennepin County Library system. It's a great way to identify the builder of a house and work done on it through 1970 or so. Most cards are very incomplete but still contain useful information.

I've been fascinated by the Lustron houses on Nicollet too.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Re: Manufactured Housing/N. Minneapolis Revitalization Efforts

Postby VacantLuxuries » July 25th, 2017, 8:48 pm

I think this falls more under North Minneapolis revitalization than manufactured housing, but 17 of the vacant lots the city has been holding onto were just approved to be sold for new SFH construction.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/meeting ... MSP-201821