WaHu Student Housing - 1000 Washington Avenue SE

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: WaHu Student Housing - (1016 Washington Avenue Southeast

Postby seanrichardryan » December 18th, 2014, 11:46 pm

I think that hall is for access to the lone window.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » December 19th, 2014, 12:11 am

I also like how they all have you entering into the center of the kitchen instead of a living space. I suppose that makes it easy to "prepare" the delivery pizza and Chinese - I know college students don't really cook - but still, it's a pretty horrible layout. Even as dorms these are laid out really strangely.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » December 19th, 2014, 12:16 am

Once the new apartment shine rubs off on here, what are they going to do? I don't see these units aging well. This is the kind of pack and stack ghetto in the sky that NIMBYs rail against. I thought these were going to be marketed at more than just students, but that's clearly not going to happen with layouts like this.

nBode
Union Depot

Re: WaHu Student Housing - 1000 Washington Avenue SE

Postby nBode » December 20th, 2014, 1:53 am

what. the. heck. I'm so confused because I can't see how anyone could seriously design such terrible layouts. What?..

NE_love
City Center

Postby NE_love » December 22nd, 2014, 1:07 pm

I don't see any pointless hallways-they make better use of the sq/ft.

*EDIT: The three bedroom is weird...*
I would like to say that these are poorly executed. Almost every student housing project going up, or completed over the last few years has private bathrooms to each bedroom. It is an amenity and due to the fact that is so common, it appears to be what the people want. If you are home you use your bathroom. If you have a guest, they use your bathroom.

Due to the building type and and program requirements, you end up with a rectangular shaped unit with the need to put the number of bedrooms and the living space on the glass. Keep in mind for ever corner unit where you have the opportunity to modify this, you have a good run of units making up the majority. The circulation space circled in the 3 and 4 bedroom units is necessary to get to the parts of the unit.

The hallway-to-window is unforgivable in the 2 and 4 bedroom units. It is unusable space! I can only imagine it is the result of trying to create some articulation in the facade and/or the angles created by the building form.

There seems to always be a weak link to these projects. At least the exterior rendering look nice...

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » January 30th, 2015, 10:47 pm

This is now topped out.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 8th, 2015, 5:33 pm

ImageP2080054 by streetsmn, on Flickr

ImageP2080055 by streetsmn, on Flickr

ImageP2080057 by streetsmn, on Flickr

ImageP2080058 by streetsmn, on Flickr
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

kiliff75
Nicollet Mall

Postby kiliff75 » March 25th, 2015, 6:59 am

This has been topped out for a few weeks, I really like how they broke it up into several different buildings on top of the podium...gives a very nice canyon effect down Huron that looks more impressive because it's not just one long building.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 16th, 2015, 9:58 am

With this one getting closer to completion, I was thinking about all of that retail space about to open up. According to a 2013 Minnesota Daily article, "WaHu is planned to have 27,000 square feet of retail space, including 60-foot-wide patios for restaurants." I'm not sure that space has been broken out into units yet, but the average Walgreens store is 14,530 square feet (including back rooms), so there will be some space here.

Anybody want to speculate with me?

• I would assume they'll be looking for at least one full-service restaurant, so who knows what that could be. A convenience store seems kind of unlikely, however, with CVS and Walgreens right down the street.

• If they do go full-service restaurant, I'd imagine the two most likely options would be a new chain restaurant or poaching an existing local restaurant. Campus Pizza just closed. What about Stub and Herbs moving and that corner lot being redeveloped? (Full disclosure: I have no idea if this is a historic building or if the whole vibe of the restaurant is based on its current building/location. I'm just blindly speculating.)

• What about a coffee shop? I believe there are only two Starbucks on campus, and neither are very close. Dunkin Donuts is also apparently opening 10 Minnesota locations, including Minneapolis. This seems like a pretty good spot for one of them. Source: http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/ta ... 82881.html

• Chipotle knockoff Moe's is expanding in Minnesota. There isn't a Moe's anywhere near campus, but this location is a bit removed from the heavy lunchtime foot traffic. Source: Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... nsion.html

• What about Panera? There's no indication they're expanding or interested, but the closest Paneras are in Rosedale and Highland Park, and this would be a pretty great location for a place like that.

Any other ideas?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 16th, 2015, 10:03 am

The nearest Starbucks is only half a block farther away than the Walgreens you mention; I doubt a Starbucks would be necessary (though it would probably do well).

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 16th, 2015, 10:11 am

There's a Caribou Coffee in the strip mall with Burger King, but it's not like two coffee shops across the street from each other is unheard of either.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » April 16th, 2015, 10:44 am

I doubt we see Stub and Herbs move. The bartenders wear shirts that say "Your Grandpa drank here." Or something along those lines.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » April 16th, 2015, 10:53 am

I wouldn't be surprised if Espresso Royale ever wanted another University location as the one in Dinkytown is ALWAYS packed.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » April 16th, 2015, 11:43 am

There used to be one in Stadium Village on the block just east of Moos Tower. I went there all the time before I graduated in 2007, not sure when exactly it closed, but it was never particularly crowded. With more housing in Stadium Village now they could perhaps do better, but I'd be surprised if they went for it.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » April 16th, 2015, 11:44 am

There's a Caribou Coffee in the strip mall with Burger King, but it's not like two coffee shops across the street from each other is unheard of either.
There's also Overflow three-ish blocks to the east.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 16th, 2015, 11:52 am

Are you talking about the ridiculously narrow coffee shop on the same block as Espresso Expose?

Also, east of Wahu is no mans land :D

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 16th, 2015, 12:15 pm

Are you talking about the ridiculously narrow coffee shop on the same block as Espresso Expose?

Again what is now and what is in the future will make all the difference. While we have nothing there at the moment. we do have two LRT stations near by that could help make the area a target for redevelopment. Just looking at Stadium Village, who 10 years ago would have expected the number of housing units that have come to pass. The market and life style of students have changed a lot. The area near the 29th street station will slowly continue to improve and more housing to the east may bring more possible customers their way. The biggest redevelopment area is basically across University from them, next to the stadium LRT station where the old hotel is still functioning. You also have a hotel that is being built next door to the Wahu that will bring patients and families within close walking distance of the shops in the area.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » April 16th, 2015, 1:17 pm

That's the one.

Also, in defense of the area east of WaHu, it DOES have Caspian Bistro. Which has an awesome market, the best spot for feta and pistachios that I've found.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 16th, 2015, 3:38 pm

There's also Overflow three-ish blocks to the east.
I don't think the Caribou, Overflow or even the other Starbucks would prevent a new coffee shop — even another Starbucks — from opening here.

Of those three, only the Caribou would directly compete for business. But Caribou is usually full, and plenty of people prefer Starbucks. Considering the couple hundred new students who will be living in WaHu, plus the adjacent light rail stop, I'd think another coffee shop would do just fine.

up north
Block E

Postby up north » April 16th, 2015, 4:33 pm

Arby's!