Gould Apartments - 501 15th Ave SE

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
Silophant

Re: Gould Apartments - 501 15th Ave SE

Postby Silophant » February 8th, 2015, 5:36 pm

I like the way that turned out. There's a lot of older apartment buildings in Dinkytown (and all over the city, of course, though the economics are different away from campus), that could benefit from that kinda thing being built on their surface lots.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » February 9th, 2015, 9:23 am

^I agree, though seems like something like this would be even less likely to work on a non-corner lot. Maybe I'm wrong. I would love to see some of the alley entrances with ugly surface parking right behind beautiful brick/stone apartments get this treatment. Restricts the view to alleys which are typically not-so-nice looking.

Not to give the anti-ColfaxLander crowd too much credit, but this is basically what one of them proposed as a solution to demo'ing those 2 houses. Could it have worked there? Maybe. Though I doubt the 2 houses would have flown as single-family homes like they wanted to revert to (which would have been fine with me). Wonder which areas of the city this actually would pencil out for?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 9th, 2015, 9:36 am

Yeah, it does sort of require that the parking lot have street frontage. I was thinking mostly of the two north corners of the 15th and 8th intersection.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 9th, 2015, 11:14 am

Have they updated the older buildings at all? I walked by a few weeks ago and they still looked pretty crummy (from the outside).

sedluhs
Block E

Postby sedluhs » February 13th, 2015, 8:54 am

My D lives in one of the old 3rd floor units. So far the renovations to the older buildings have just been what was required to tie them in to the new structure.

During construction of the new building, the old balconies/fire escapes were removed and the rear doors to the units were blocked off. Temporary fire escapes were built on the sides of the old buildings. Now that the new building is complete the old units have new doors that access the halls of the new building. I expect they'll start renovations of the old buildings when the weather improves this spring.