The Green on 4th - 2901 4th Street SE

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
Unity77
Landmark Center

The Green on 4th - 2901 4th Street SE

Postby Unity77 » June 4th, 2012, 11:16 pm

Mod note: Updated project plans and new developer - viewtopic.php?f=20&t=79&start=60#p124740

* Proposed
* 250 units
* Mixed-income rental housing (20% affordable)
* Located at the Prospect Park LRT station

http://www.tcgmn.com/blog/2012/09/the-c ... eser-site/

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Re: Prospect Park Station - 2901 4th St. SE

Postby nordeast homer » June 5th, 2012, 10:27 am

Isn't this the group that just had a development in Richfield foreclosed on?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 18th, 2012, 8:19 am

Yes it is the same group!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 19th, 2012, 12:37 pm

Saw this small rendering of this one on the Finance and Comm website

The Cornerstone Group, which hopes to build a 250-unit, mixed-income housing development at 2901 Fourth St. S.E., Minneapolis, received a $1 million loan from the Hennepin County transit-oriented development fund. The project is near the future Prospect Park/29th Avenue Station. (Submitted rendering: The Cornerstone Group)

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 19th, 2012, 12:47 pm

That looks more like it's in Miami than an industrial wasteland. Optimistic for this project though. That could be a neat little node around that station if things work out.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 19th, 2012, 1:00 pm

That looks more like it's in Miami than an industrial wasteland. Optimistic for this project though. That could be a neat little node around that station if things work out.
I see why you say that....the trees look like palm trees at first, but palm trees don't have branches and those things do. I think they're just odd sketches of typical MN trees and that IS then Minneapolis. This project has really fun potential -- so I'm hoping to see something that people can point to when it's all said and done!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 19th, 2012, 2:23 pm

I see awesome potential for that area, and this building seems to have some could be cool features, but it would totally be an island for a while :/ There are a lot of weird surface lots and commercial buildings in that area, total mish mash

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » June 20th, 2012, 7:35 am

I see why you say that....the trees look like palm trees at first, but palm trees don't have branches and those things do. I think they're just odd sketches of typical MN trees and that IS then Minneapolis. This project has really fun potential -- so I'm hoping to see something that people can point to when it's all said and done!
It's tough to get the "wispy tree look" down pat...

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 20th, 2012, 9:35 am

The one major negative for this station is that there is a big parking ramp diagonally across the street from where this building will be going (if I understand it's location correctly).

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » June 20th, 2012, 12:26 pm

It's also right by the leading Surly site as well. I don't know if that's a good thing or bad though...

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 20th, 2012, 12:40 pm

What is the leading Surly site? Kind of a random location for a taproom, though I guess the area could change quite a bit in two or three years.

twincitizen

Re: Prospect Park Station - (2901 Fourth Street Southeast)

Postby twincitizen » September 10th, 2012, 2:17 pm

http://www.tcgmn.com/blog/2012/09/the-c ... eser-site/

Check out the image attached to this story. The caption says it was provided by PPERRIA (the neighborhood organization).

Say it ain't so... a Minneapolis neighborhood group that actually desires height and density?! :o

mulad

Postby mulad » September 10th, 2012, 2:27 pm

Of course, that's currently a commercial/industrial area. Hard to say how things would go on the other side of University. ENL House and a few other projects have happened right along University itself, but I suspect the neighborhood would fight larger structures encroaching on the heart of Prospect Park. There seems to be ample opportunity to redevelop closer to the station, so it probably won't matter for a while.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 10th, 2012, 4:09 pm

They said 200-250 units for this development but that picture shows an entire neighborhood worth of redeveloped sites.....unless each buildings holds no more than 20-25 people, or this project will be done in multiple phases STARTING with 200-250 units for Phase I. The gazebo in the foreground of what appears to be 10-12 10+ story towers is really thowing me off the scale of this project!

If that picture is their vision, I'd pessimistically wager $100 that the vision never comes even close to fruition -- this city doesn't do tall AND large together (with the exception of the Cedar-Riverside area).

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 10th, 2012, 4:18 pm

If that picture is their vision, I'd pessimistically wager $100 that the vision never comes even close to fruition -- this city doesn't do tall AND large together (with the exception of the Cedar-Riverside area).
What's there to prevent this from happening? I mean, if you think about it, this would be a huge win for the single-family neighborhood right next door. Due to the way the streets are set up, they'd get almost no extra auto traffic but put themselves within walking distance of a ton of new amenities, and there wouldn't be any shadowing/other ridiculous concerns to worry about. They can have their cake and eat it, too.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 10th, 2012, 5:55 pm

I don't think it would happen (assuming the total scale of that photo is closer to 1000 units) because large projects like these are a.) highly risky, b.) difficult to finance, c.) at the whim of NIMBYs, and d.) are planned in multiple phases but usually end up with only one phase. I'm just not going to hold my breath for this thing to be built out in its entirety.....but I'd love to be wrong about that!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 11th, 2012, 1:28 am

The gazebo in the foreground of what appears to be 10-12 10+ story towers is really thowing me off the scale of this project!
Bwahaha... please tell me you realize this is the witches hat water tower, not just some random thing the artist drew in. I for one could see it happening, the area has great potential, and I'd rather have the developer draw big, get it approved by the neighborhood and scale back if they HAVE to rather than never draw big in the first place.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 11th, 2012, 1:32 am

Also, I think the drawing is something that the neighborhood had hired out completely independently of this development, as a neighborhood plan. The info in the article pertains to what cornerstone is going to do on just one of the lots.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 13th, 2012, 1:11 am

I'm not sure where people are getting the NIMBYs from. There is literally nothing back there right now except warehouses, parking lots, the U of M transitway and the old mills. To get to the nearest single-family homes you have to cross University and go beyond a wall of existing apartments and other buildings. So it's not like this would be right in the middle of the neighborhood.

Agreeing with enfangor, I don't think an apartment boom in that area is all that unrealistic. The U of M is a few minutes away, there will be LRT access to either downtown and for car drivers I-94 and 280 are right up the street. Honestly, if there is any area that could see a huge boom in housing/retail from the central corridor this could be it.

tabletop
Nicollet Mall

Postby tabletop » September 15th, 2012, 8:56 am

Ok. I think the NIMBY comes from Prospect Park on the south side of university being designated a historic district but on the north it seems to be fair game. I'm all for the right kind of development, but I fear that a large scale development will displace lot's of jobs from inexpensive work spaces for people who will have expensive jobs and still drive to work. Where as I could see a lot of folk working in the auto repair shops and metal plating facilities there commuting to work by transit because it's convenient. I see the industry as a positive, it brings job's. Build on the empty lots, but leave the dynamic of the area alone. We need warehouses, shops, yards and facilities and the beauty of the area is that it is right in the middle of everything instead of in maple grove. KEEP THE INDUSTRY