The Green on 4th - 2901 4th Street SE

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Prospect Park Station - (2901 Fourth Street Southeast)

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 15th, 2012, 11:43 am

I see what you are saying, and I like that you think outside the box and go against the grain, but maybe instead of keeping the low-paying industrial jobs and their under-developed warehouses maybe keep the "dynamic" of the area by offering a mix of uses and transforming the industry aspect into something higher-tech, like a bio-med district.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 15th, 2012, 1:44 pm

There's a lot of empty industrial buildings, I don't think we need to be worried about displacing thing yets.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 15th, 2012, 6:17 pm

The area we're talking about isn't a hot-bed of industrial activity, nor has it ever been. Once upon a time, there were a number of active grain elevators and some supporting, related businesses, but it's not as though we're forcing them to shut down an auto plant so that condos can be built. This is grossly underutilized land, and has been for many decades.

hoffm83n
Metrodome

Postby hoffm83n » July 15th, 2013, 12:24 pm

most of the building has been demolished

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 15th, 2013, 1:02 pm

Wait... so has something been promoted/approved for this site? Or are they just prepping it for things to come?

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » August 8th, 2013, 2:15 pm

Anyone know when they are going to start this project? I see they've done some demolition, but maybe that is for the surly project....

mulad

Postby mulad » August 8th, 2013, 2:24 pm

The Surly project is a block north of the UMN transitway and had been leveled (aside from the flat foundation) a couple years back.

The site of this project was completely wiped out when I last went by.

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » August 8th, 2013, 2:31 pm

So, the recent demolition between the transit way and overflow cafe must be for this new prospect park station?

mulad

Postby mulad » August 8th, 2013, 2:48 pm

Yes, between 4th Street and the Transitway, east of 29th. The Surly site is to the right in this map, northeast of the corner of Malcolm & 5th St SE.

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » August 14th, 2013, 12:26 pm

Thanks for the map. So the surly site is on the north side of the transit way? Someone told me that it was going to be partly in the city of St. Paul.... Like a corner of it.

I wonder what will go in the site just to,the north of overflow cafe, south of transit way?

There seems to be some recent demolition and grading.

Lastly, there seems to be some construction project going on 4th street just to the west of 29th...Amy ideas as to what that is?

mulad

Postby mulad » August 14th, 2013, 2:13 pm

That's supposed to be a zoomed-in view of the UrbanMSP project map -- there should be icons to click on to answer at least some of your questions. They might not show up if you're using a smartphone/tablet.

Yes, the eastern edge of the Surly site will be right on the border with Saint Paul -- I'm not sure if it will technically be in both cities or not. The border between the cities is just along the right edge of the map: Emerald Street, the sidewalk to KSTP, and the KSTP tower are all pretty much right along it.

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » August 14th, 2013, 3:06 pm

Omar came to a Prospect Park community meeting, and confirmed that the property and building will straddle the municipal border.

file that one away for a pub quiz!

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » August 15th, 2013, 3:22 pm

Well, that site is looking like its ready for construction. Ill keep my fingers crossed that a grocery store is put in there or 2700 university site (yes I live in prospect park!)

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 15th, 2013, 10:34 pm

For what it's worth, there's a new "market" in the ENL House building, just west of the witch's hat. I tried to check it out twice but it closes relatively early. Looking at the pictures online it's definitely not a full grocery store, though.

MSPhusker
Block E

Postby MSPhusker » November 26th, 2013, 5:00 pm

I was at the focus group led by the Cornerstone Group for this project. It was pretty interesting. Lots of neighbors from Prospect Park participated and seemed to approve of the project. There will be two phases with a nice park or grassy area in the middle. The buildings will contain 1, 2, and maybe 3 bedrooms (I forget on this one). They did ask about the what we thought about micro-units, so there is a possibility of that. Looks like a nice project, but still a little ways off from starting to build.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 26th, 2013, 9:41 pm

Awesome! thanks, definitely looking forward to projects in this area!

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » March 24th, 2014, 11:23 am

There seems to be some construction activity on this site. It was recently fenced in and now I see a small amount of building supplies as well as contractors vehicles. Perhaps these are for the Habitat for Humanity building which is across the street?

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 25th, 2014, 9:57 am

There's a lot going on right now in Prospect Park, and I guess this is probably the place to post about it?

Anyway, starting over at 27th Avenue, Metro Park East has pretty much taken shape. One thing I really like is that the two buildings are placed as if 27th Avenue continues between them (it doesn't, I don't think), so there's a nice wall effect that looks through to the old silos. Meanwhile, that wall effect could be boosted if the old print shop on University and 27th is re-developed. I noticed yesterday that it is all boarded up, possibly for demolition?

As Prospect Pete said, the Prospect Park Station development is pretty much cleared. It looks like something is supposed to start soon, but who knows.

The building that burned down a few months ago along University is now a flat lot very close to the new Prospect Park LRT station. I thought I remember somebody saying the owner also has adjacent property and wants to use this for parking, but in such a prime location that can't be forever.

In addition, the old computer repair shop that looked like it was housed in a pole barn is empty now with the parking lot roped off. This is the kind of random little business that is hard to lose, but its space is prime for redevelopment. Again, not far from the Prospect Park LRT stop.

The giant space literally right next to the Westgate LRT stop still sits empty. However, it's hard to imagine it stays that way once the train starts. This could be the most prime location for TOD in the metro right now (I'm biased, but I'd rather live here than Hiawatha and Lake). Nearby, I don't know for sure, but the Wells Fargo doesn't appear to use the second building along Emerald Street anymore. This is another prime location less than a block from LRT.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 25th, 2014, 10:28 am

That 2700 University site is confounding. The line is going to be running in 80 days and still nothing. I can't imagine they'd have a hard time attracting top-flight rental rates here, next to Prospect Park and some pretty spendy condos, just minutes from the U and Downtown.

Although, I think the more time that passes, the better the eventual development will be. The previous proposal was pretty underwhelming. Only 5 stories and unknown retail component. Once the line is running and some of the nearby under-construction stuff has opened, I'd have to agree...this is the premier ready-made TOD site in the entire metro (downtown parking lots aside). Hopefully a grocery store!

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » May 20th, 2014, 11:03 pm

This parcel of land has been fenced off for some time now, and more recently has had some construction supplies stored on it (perhaps for the Surley site or Habitat for Humanity site across the street).
Now at the west end of it I noticed that there are garden plots going in for an urban garden. I guess this project won't be launching for a while, which is too bad, it's such a great site just a stones throw from the prospect park green line platform.
Anybody have any intel on this?