Red 20 - 20 6th Street NE

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
uncle phil
Metrodome

Re: Red 20 - (20 6th Street Northeast, former Totino's site)

Postby uncle phil » September 12th, 2014, 9:36 pm

Thumbnail size? You're not doing something right...they show up plenty big for me.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 12th, 2014, 9:36 pm

Thumbnail size you say?

MplsSteve
Nicollet Mall

Postby MplsSteve » September 12th, 2014, 10:29 pm

It definitely is not pretty. It's fine for infill, but it just looks cheap.
I live near by as well. Yes, it certainly does look cheap, but does it really look any different than about 80% of the rental that's being built in minneapolis right now?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 12th, 2014, 10:36 pm

Look at C4, one of the 3 bedroom units. The image is the same size, except it's a 2 story unit with three and a half times the square footage.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » September 13th, 2014, 7:02 am

They do get bigger if you click on them, what's funny is that they are all different sizes when you open them up.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » September 14th, 2014, 12:35 pm

I'd say $1,150-1,175 for a smaller 1 BR with in-unit W/D and a balcony, in this location, for new construction, is a pretty good deal. Especially since the building itself has more than zero amenities (workout, dog run, roof patio). Makes me wonder what one could legitimately charge for an ADU in a further-out neighborhood without access to heated underground parking.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » September 15th, 2014, 8:20 am

It definitely is not pretty. It's fine for infill, but it just looks cheap.
I live near by as well. Yes, it certainly does look cheap, but does it really look any different than about 80% of the rental that's being built in minneapolis right now?
I don't know why, but this one rubs me the wrong way more than some of the others. It may have to do with it simultaneously looking cheap and like it's a project from another era (it just smacks of late 90s, early 2000s projects to be for some reason). I'd definitely put the general looks of the project in the bottom quarter of projects I've seen recently.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 15th, 2014, 10:07 am

I'd say $1,150-1,175 for a smaller 1 BR with in-unit W/D and a balcony, in this location, for new construction, is a pretty good deal. Especially since the building itself has more than zero amenities (workout, dog run, roof patio). Makes me wonder what one could legitimately charge for an ADU in a further-out neighborhood without access to heated underground parking.
That is significantly cheaper than everything else that has hit the market in recent years. Those 1BRs are basically $2.00/sf. All other new construction is $2.25/sf and up. Nic on 5th and LPM are at least $2.50/sf or more. This is the cheapest new construction on the market right now in Minneapolis. Cheaper than Murals in LynLake too. Cheaper than Blue, which is like 6 years old.

Many of the new buildings don't have pools either, especially in North Loop. So the amenities here are in line with many of its peers, especially for non-Uptown.

This building is a winner based on location alone, though those streets could really use some calming. This is hitting the market with zero competition in that part of town. Perhaps they just don't think this area can pull the same rents as North Loop? That seems kind of silly to me. This is going to lease up very quickly. "Downtown" NE is fantastic and will only get better with the streetcar and additional development (700 Central, Superior Plating site, etc.)

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » September 15th, 2014, 11:27 am

I haven't been by to see the building lately myself, if anyone is able to grab a couple of pictures and post that would be superb. I do like the price point myself and when I move next year it will definitely be a place I look at.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » September 15th, 2014, 12:00 pm

This building is a winner based on location alone, though those streets could really use some calming. This is hitting the market with zero competition in that part of town. Perhaps they just don't think this area can pull the same rents as North Loop? That seems kind of silly to me. This is going to lease up very quickly. "Downtown" NE is fantastic and will only get better with the streetcar and additional development (700 Central, Superior Plating site, etc.)
Some units in the North Loop have about the same price point (or did before construction ended...I remember seeing some incredibly cheap units for rent in Dock Street Flats). And right in the neighborhood, there were a lot of advertisements for La Pompadour on Fifth Street by the railroad trench with one bedrooms starting at $1000 (they're all booked up until next July, apparently).

Northeast really is in a different pricing category than much of south Minneapolis. I've been casually browsing Craigslist and Padmapper with an eye to the greater Uptown area (really I suppose it includes Loring Park, Stevens Square, Whittier, the Wedge, CARAG, East Calhoun, and East Isles). Just about everything I've found is smaller, of poorer quality, and generally lacks amenities (parking often an extra fee, some utilities not included that I've never seen listed for a NE apartment, etc.) while still remaining about $100 higher than NE offerings.

I'm currently splitting a fairly updated two bedroom with a roommate just outside of "Downtown NE" on a quiet, leafy street with a 10 minute bus ride downtown (and at least as much transit access as much of Uptown, with the 2, 4, 6, 10, 11, 17, 61, and several express routes within a few blocks of my place), and arguably better bike access (I'll take biking across the Stone Arch or Central over most south Minneapolis routes any day). Despite the amenities, our unit rents closer to one of greater Uptown's one bedrooms. Based on estimates, we're paying no more than $1.00-1.15/sq. ft.

No doubt a combination of the area still being up-and-coming combined with the lakes and the city's preference for those areas south of downtown play into it all.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » September 15th, 2014, 6:15 pm

Last edited by bapster2006 on September 16th, 2014, 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 15th, 2014, 6:31 pm

Thanks for the updated pics!! Will save final judgement until it is complete. I like the street level very much.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » September 15th, 2014, 9:11 pm

Thank you for the pics! Don't get all up in arms... but I don't hate it.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 15th, 2014, 9:25 pm

Looks better that what I thought. The nice red color is what redeems it.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » September 16th, 2014, 7:30 am

You are welcome on the pics! After seeing it up close, I see how much is left to add, and I also think it looks decent and like the color.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 16th, 2014, 11:13 am

My one picky pet peeve, is the use of tan colored mortar in the stone... they do that to try to warm up the indiana limestone's natural cooler tone, but it ends up just looking checkered and busy (imo). which gives it an odd contrast to the simple metal top band, and simple bold red stucco. I'm thinking the retail bays and the density are huge gains for the neighborhood, and I don't think the building is nearly ugly enough to outweigh all that :)

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » September 17th, 2014, 8:57 am

I'm thinking the retail bays and the density are huge gains for the neighborhood, and I don't think the building is nearly ugly enough to outweigh all that

Keep on filling in them parking lots!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 17th, 2014, 11:29 am

I walk around the exterior of the building was not shocked by it. The Central Avenue side had scaffolding so that was off limits. I'm more impressed by the street level of this project than I was Nic on 5th. Once landscaping and trees are planted I think this will be a fine contribution to the area with its retail and filling another underdeveloped parcel.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » September 18th, 2014, 10:21 pm

My one picky pet peeve, is the use of tan colored mortar in the stone... they do that to try to warm up the indiana limestone's natural cooler tone, but it ends up just looking checkered and busy (imo). which gives it an odd contrast to the simple metal top band, and simple bold red stucco. I'm thinking the retail bays and the density are huge gains for the neighborhood, and I don't think the building is nearly ugly enough to outweigh all that :)
Geesh I though those were cement blocks and would be covered up with something else.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 18th, 2014, 11:54 pm

Geesh I though those were cement blocks and would be covered up with something else.
It's the same stone the Foshay Tower is made out of... but since on the Foshay, (and any other well executed exterior featuring Indiana Limestone) they use grey mortar, it looks seamless and nice...