Red 20 - 20 6th Street NE

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Totino's Apartments

Postby woofner » February 1st, 2013, 2:20 pm

Pick one 25' curb cut. You don't need both, and a city that cared about walkability wouldn't allow both. I'd suggest keeping the one on 6th.

I agree about the balconies, both that they smudge an otherwise handsome if banal building, and that most people just want a balcony and don't care if it's ugly. Still it seems like you wouldn't be cutting into square footage much by recessing, is it really that much more expensive?

I hope you all will join me in eating a party pizza in honor of the Totino's building. We each will eat our own rather than share one, of course.
"Who rescued whom!"

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » February 1st, 2013, 3:32 pm

That little segment of 6th St. is a perfect example of something that should have been closed off to create a plaza like amenity for this project, it's tenants, and the neighborhood. Like I've repeatedly stated, this part of NE is dominated by wide streets. Anything to reduce their prominence on the landscape will help the area.

Maybe in the future something like this or what they did with the MoZaic ramp entrance could happen. It eliminates the need for a street and creates a pedestrian zone, but still allows access for the few vehicles that will need access to the ramp.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 1st, 2013, 5:28 pm

That little segment of 6th St. is a perfect example of something that should have been closed off to create a plaza like amenity for this project, it's tenants, and the neighborhood. Like I've repeatedly stated, this part of NE is dominated by wide streets. Anything to reduce their prominence on the landscape will help the area.
You've made this argument before, and coincidentally, 6th Street is the only instance where I could actually support your argument for closure. The other cross streets certainly could be narrowed up some, but they do all serve as part of the connecting fabric of this part of town.
Pick one 25' curb cut. You don't need both, and a city that cared about walkability wouldn't allow both. I'd suggest keeping the one on 6th.
Agreed, obviously conflicting with my above consensus that 6th could be closed.
I hope you all will join me in eating a party pizza in honor of the Totino's building. We each will eat our own rather than share one, of course.
How decadent!

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » February 18th, 2013, 2:28 pm

Downtown Journal has an article with a proposed timeline for this development:
http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/pl ... king-shape

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 18th, 2013, 3:29 pm

SO. FAR. AWAY.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » February 19th, 2013, 11:30 am

Quick question on this one. What happens to Red Stag's parking? Currently they have signs up that they the lot at 1st Ave and 6th St is for their patrons. Will they fall below requirements when this is developed?

Avian
Union Depot

Red 20

Postby Avian » April 14th, 2013, 6:27 pm

It will be called Red 20.

StarTribune Story

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 14th, 2013, 7:16 pm

Egh. What's more disappointing, the copious use of hanging balconies or the repellent name?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 14th, 2013, 7:41 pm

For me, it looks like a blander (and cheaper) looking version of the Velo apartment project. I guess the name originates from being the 20th copy of the same design , but in red. That said, the red color and the street level retail are actually the two qualities of the project that stand out as a positive so I give it a grade of "pass".

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Red 20

Postby seanrichardryan » April 14th, 2013, 9:18 pm

Passing is a D. 'Cs get degrees' shouldn't be our architectural model.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » April 15th, 2013, 12:07 am

I wouldn't be too quick to condemn. The same developer gave us Phoenix and 710, 720 and 730 Lofts. All interesting projects. Sure, nothing groundbreaking, but solid and effective infill. The windows are near floor-to ceiling (or at least floor-to-6'8" :) ), which is very desirable. I'm really pleased about the small-scale retail.

Was someone expecting a Cesar Pelli building on this otherwise piece-of-crap site?

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

helsinki
Landmark Center

Postby helsinki » April 15th, 2013, 2:21 am

It is certainly desirable infill.

What I don't understand is why the architects couldn't manage to save at least the facade (as was done with the Penfield in St. Paul). Yeah, it's not the Parthenon. But the weathered brick definitely has more character than fake stone panels will have. Hopefully they re-purpose that brick. Modern bricks are made in cleaner gas, not coke, fired kilns and have a much more artificial look as a result. Just my opinion.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 15th, 2013, 8:06 am

^I totally agree, and was thinking the same thing. I actually like the existing building and saving the facade would have been a smart move for the developer and an homage to the once Totinos building.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 15th, 2013, 8:15 am

Yes, I agree with both Helsinki and Min-chi-bus. That would have given it some nice context to the history of the area, and give the project a better sense of being distinct and unique.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 15th, 2013, 8:56 am

Passing is a D. 'Cs get degrees' shouldn't be our architectural model.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 15th, 2013, 9:39 am

I'm just hearing the same thing from the complainers as in the 222 thread. Sure this building is simple; stone base, red brick, nothing crazy in height, and simple geometrics. I can't think of something better for something in a neighborhood like this. Plus plenty of retail to get the neighborhood jump started, hopefully enough to get projects like 7XX Central started, and the Superior Plating site. Central and Hen are both HUGE roads at this point, and if we can get enough people living and walking around over here then maybe something can be done to improve the hood and make it into a neighborhood. The use of balconies is a personal qualm with aesthetics, and yes they should have preserved the Totino's building, but this should be a well put together solid project in a neighborhood that needs it.

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Re: Red 20 - (519 Central Ave NE, former Totino's site)

Postby dmdhashw » April 15th, 2013, 10:12 am

I think it would've been cool if they could retain the Totino's mural that is on the side of the building and incorporate it into some sort of courtyard or pocket park, but otherwise I don't see much worth salvaging. I'll have the memories of having dinner there with my mom on her paydays, and that is all I need.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » April 15th, 2013, 10:13 am

I don't care for "Red 20". Is Red 5 still standing by?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 15th, 2013, 10:16 am

I say let it be built. It does add density, and the street level is pretty good and pedestrian friendly . But it could have been better with just a little more effort on the developer's part. It's clearly a conservative "play it safe" project with a priority of keeping construction costs to a minimum. I guess you can't have too many expectations with that mentality. :|
Last edited by John on April 15th, 2013, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 15th, 2013, 10:21 am

This is a wal-mart style development according to the StarTribune comments section.