7 Corners Tower (Grandma's Saloon site)

Historical Topics - Archives
Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

7 Corners Tower (Grandma's Saloon site)

Postby Minneboy » April 21st, 2014, 11:31 am

Not sure how valid this is as it doesn't give a lot of info. I'm guessing where Grandma's used to be? Again sorry but thought I'd post this anyway. http://www.humphreys.com/portfolio/wash ... ave-tower/

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: New tower

Postby David Greene » April 21st, 2014, 11:32 am

That's pretty hideous.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » April 21st, 2014, 11:33 am

Not sure how valid this is as it doesn't give a lot of info. I'm guessing where Grandma's used to be? Again sorry but thought I'd post this anyway. http://www.humphreys.com/portfolio/wash ... ave-tower/
I'm fairly certain this is old news and isn't happening to this scale anymore.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 21st, 2014, 11:35 am

Yeah, that was a proposal for the grandma's site, but that's got a brand new apartment on it. This isn't happening ever. And that's not even downtown, it's 7-corners, which would be University area.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » April 21st, 2014, 11:37 am

The more I look at other projects on the website I'm under the belief this was possibly the one of the original proposals for the site. Then again I could be wrong. I rather like it. It has a nice 1990's Ramada Inn feel to it.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » April 21st, 2014, 11:39 am

I always thought the 7 corners area is part of downtown.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 21st, 2014, 11:47 am

I guess it's kind of a grey area, because it is so close to downtown, and I think the Courtyard Marriot bills itself as Courtyard Marriot Downtown Minneapolis. The thread for 7west (what was built on that site) is in the UofM section here, but it's student housing so it made sense there. If it was for general population maybe the thread would have ended up somewhere else. But then again it's right across the street the UofM campus, and there's a strong student influence in that neighborhood, which is the reason the neighborhoods around campus are part of the UofM subforum and not Downtown or General Minneapolis.

As for the building, those spiky towers look really bad to me. I'm usually pretty forgiving of architecture, but sloped roofs on urban buildings always looks suburban to me, and even if they're only hinting at sloped roofs with those parapets, it still turns me off to the whole design.

For those that don't want to peruse the architects site, they also did the Grant Park building, which is only marginally better than this, though I think that's a function of age. They also did the Carlysle, which looks great, but maybe in 10 years I'll think that's a turd, and 20 years after that it will be great again.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 21st, 2014, 11:56 am

I'm glad this was never built. Terrible design.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 21st, 2014, 12:41 pm

I was thinking this belongs in Vegas.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » April 21st, 2014, 1:00 pm

I was just thinking to myself, "Monday's seem like a good day to announce development plans, better check UrbanMSP." And then to open it up and see a thread title of "New Tower" I was very excited. What a let down.

Old plans floated awhile ago.
Does look like it should be with the Venetian resort.
Grant Park is one of my favorite residential towers! Behind Carlyle, or course.