Soccer Stadium in Minneapolis (cancelled)

Historical Topics - Archives
Didier
Capella Tower

Re: Farmers Market Soccer Stadium

Postby Didier » February 18th, 2015, 2:09 pm

Based on the most recent article, the opposite is true. MLS views Minneapolis as the one sure thing among the three candidates and is leaning toward awarding us a team this spring while it figures out the other expansion city.

Here's the article.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/02 ... sota-miami

I also posted the article in the Major League Soccer in Minnesota thread in anything goes, since it's not really about the stadium.

The logical conclusion would seem to be MN United joining forces with the Vikings and playing at the NFL stadium. That way MN United could keep their team and fan base, nobody would have to lobby for a new stadium, and the Vikings could get the summer tenant they so covet. Reading the tea leaves, though, that doesn't seem likely.

It's hard to be optimistic about MN United. Wouldn't you think they'd need to start the dialogue about public funding already? It's going to be tremendously unpopular. Unless there's some low-key way that either Hennepin County or Bloomington can rubber stamp a smaller subsidy, time is running out. I guess if we're being optimistic, maybe MN United can get a handshake agreement with the county and can make it official once MLS makes its decision.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Re: Major League Soccer in Minnesota

Postby HuskyGrad » March 2nd, 2015, 1:43 pm

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/02 ... technology

Comments from the commissioner.
On Minneapolis: "There's enormous momentum in that market. They've got a great NASL team (Minnesota United). There's a really cool dynamic happening in the downtown area. There's a ton of millenials who are moving in there. There's a lot of corporations and young people, particularly people from many different countries, who are moving to that part of the country, so we think Minneapolis would be a great market."
No mention of the Vikings. :D

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 2nd, 2015, 9:42 pm

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » March 3rd, 2015, 1:08 pm

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » March 5th, 2015, 8:56 pm

McGuire, despite rebuff, continues pursuit of franchise, new soccer stadium

http://www.startribune.com/politics/sta ... 78301.html

All elected officials, including Opat, have denied supporting public money for a new stadium. McGuire puts price tag at $150 million.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 5th, 2015, 9:34 pm

The meeting between Bakk and McGuire came after Bakk phoned MLS Commissioner Don Garber to tell him that the Legislature had already addressed the professional soccer issue when it gave the owners of the Minnesota Vikings exclusive rights to try to bring a MLS franchise to the Vikings new $1 billion indoor football stadium.
Typical Bakk dickishness.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 5th, 2015, 10:08 pm

Bakk's ass must be permanently chapped that he's not the governor.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » March 5th, 2015, 10:12 pm

Why? He might as well be.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » March 6th, 2015, 8:08 am

Should we be shocked if legislators feel like we’re already building a soccer stadium? After having funneled an overly-generous amount of tax dollars into said stadium, most of them rightfully want it to be used to the fullest extent possible. I doubt Bakk will be the last government official to contact Garber in an effort to steer MLS toward Downtown East.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 6th, 2015, 9:23 am

I'm pretty sure there was never any real expectation that the state would provide funding for the stadium.

If this is to happen, it seems like some creative deal with Hennepin County is the most likely option, whether that's re-directing some of the Target Field money or doing something like the shared garbage burner.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » March 6th, 2015, 9:45 am

In the article Opat said there's no discussion of using the leftover Target Field money and in any case it would take legislative approval.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 6th, 2015, 10:06 am

Should we be shocked if legislators feel like we’re already building a soccer stadium? After having funneled an overly-generous amount of tax dollars into said stadium, most of them rightfully want it to be used to the fullest extent possible. I doubt Bakk will be the last government official to contact Garber in an effort to steer MLS toward Downtown East.
Legislators can feel however they want, and truth be told, I'm mostly inclined to agree with Bakkon this one. But Bakk was not elected by the people of Minnesota to make unsolicited calls to businesses considering doing business in the state. In fact, he wasn't elected by the people of Minnesota, period. He was elected by the people of his district (which doesn't cover either site in Minneapolis, last I checked), and then was elected by a subset of senators to manage business in the Senate. That's it.

If Bakk wanted to have back channel communications with McGuire, that makes complete sense. But for him to go straight to the MLS president to tell him how important Bakk is, and to also tell him he's not supportive, and to then publicize that call, is just pathetic.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 6th, 2015, 10:29 am

But Bakk was not elected by the people of Minnesota to make unsolicited calls to businesses considering doing business in the state.

If Bakk wanted to have back channel communications with McGuire, that makes complete sense. But for him to go straight to the MLS president to tell him how important Bakk is, and to also tell him he's not supportive, and to then publicize that call, is just pathetic.
Exactly.

Moreover, it's not Bakk's place to decide the MLS issue is settled. The Vikings have the *option* of hosting an MLS team, not an obbligation and the statute doesn't restrict anyone else from putting forth an MLS bid.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » March 6th, 2015, 12:50 pm

I've got no love for Bakk, and I'm not inclined to defend him, but I really don't see the issue. More than anyone else, he speaks for the upper chamber of the state legislature. Telling MLS that there's not going to be state money for a new stadium is courteous. Who knows what McGuire may have told MLS regarding state money. It seems like an appropriate time to set em straight.

I don't really see what Bakk's district has to do with anything. It's a statewide issue. If anything, I'd take issue with Rosen and Lanning sponsoring a bill to impose the Minneapolis-only taxes the last go around.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » March 6th, 2015, 1:08 pm

I've got no love for Bakk, and I'm not inclined to defend him, but I really don't see the issue. More than anyone else, he speaks for the upper chamber of the state legislature. Telling MLS that there's not going to be state money for a new stadium is courteous. Who knows what McGuire may have told MLS regarding state money. It seems like an appropriate time to set em straight.

I don't really see what Bakk's district has to do with anything. It's a statewide issue. If anything, I'd take issue with Rosen and Lanning sponsoring a bill to impose the Minneapolis-only taxes the last go around.
It seems to be a bit ridiculous to go straight to Commissioner Garber when there hasn't been any rumors of state funding to start.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » March 6th, 2015, 2:04 pm

Yep. Lame ass political posturing. Don't even think about asking for more money from this honorable man -- for Lord Bakk has already made his decision about MLS when he bestowed the rights of soccering to Zigmunt.
Towns!

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 6th, 2015, 2:47 pm

Telling MLS that there's not going to be state money for a new stadium is courteous.
Except he didn't stop there. He said the legislature already addressed the MLS issue when it awarded the Vikings rights to an MLS team in the stadium. Meaning as far as he's concerned, it's Zygi or bust.

And going behind the back of a major player in the issue is slimy.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Re: Farmers Market Soccer Stadium

Postby nfschauer » March 6th, 2015, 2:57 pm

Here is the latest regarding McGuire's MLS stadium plan. It kind of looks like the MLs is holding off to award a city based on whether or not this plan goes through.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/sta ... 78301.html

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » March 6th, 2015, 3:17 pm

there hasn't been any rumors of state funding
Not that we know of. But we also don’t know anything about any inquiries McGuire may be making. Some bit of info may have surfaced which prompted Bakk to reach out to Garber. My guess is that he just reminded Garber that the legislature was through providing assistance to stadium builders, but that McGuire is obviously free to pursue whatever plans he has with his own money in whatever way he sees fit.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » March 6th, 2015, 3:25 pm

Bakk does sukk but I think you're reading a little too much into his statement. By the time an mls expansion franchise could start operations we'll have *two* stadiums built with significant state tax money perfectly capable of housing a soccer team. The legislature has already addressed pro soccer facilities. I know neither stadium is reminiscent of the hundred year old pitch in some medium-sized English city but they're more than functional.

The idea of throwing money at the mls is many times more foolish than nfl and mlb subsidies. Those leagues and their franchises are actually profitable. The mls loses $100 million a year and they just agreed to higher player salaries. I'm happy the state and county won't give money to an enterprise that's barely surviving.