Soccer Stadium in Minneapolis (cancelled)

Historical Topics - Archives
BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Re: Major League Soccer Stadium in Minneapolis

Postby BigIdeasGuy » April 25th, 2015, 6:24 pm

I'm just going to leave this here and just point out who MN United suggested calling.

https://twitter.com/MNUnitedFC/status/5 ... 9796145152

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 25th, 2015, 7:15 pm

ghostbusters
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » April 25th, 2015, 9:33 pm

I suppose with the state passing a law against a subsidy and Hodges pretty firmly against it, they're hedging their bets on Hennepin doling out cash (does this mean they're abandoning their property tax/sales tax exemptions...that's city/state stuff, right?)

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 27th, 2015, 3:09 pm

Thoroughly in the "rumors" category, but a group next to me at the game apparently knew Bill McGuire (he came and talked to them for a while). After McGuire left, I eavesdropped the following:

• There was a reference of calling the county commissioner
• One guy indicated that the MLS commissioner would be in town this week

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » April 27th, 2015, 3:35 pm

Asking for a direct subsidy from the county is way less appealing than their first proposal. With SWLRT probably not happening, Hodge's argument holds a lot less water. Abate some property taxes and let them build the stadium or this remains an industrial area for the foreseeable future.

The only direct contribution I would see support for would be for infrastructure around the stadium neighborhood. Unfortunately for the taxpayer, the most recent strib article referenced a likely cost over $100MM so that's not going to happen with just the leftover ballpark tax. The smart thing to do would be to take the first offer and let them build the stadium on their own, then down the road pull a Bloomington and ask them to divert fiscal disparities money for the infrastructure.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 27th, 2015, 3:48 pm

Might be a leeetle early to say SWLRT probably isn't happening. Even if the whole line doesn't happen, it wouldn't be impossible for the first couple stations to be built on their own.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 27th, 2015, 6:35 pm

I know some council members may support a property tax abatement.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » April 27th, 2015, 8:36 pm

mayor was trying to protect city's massive investment in vikes stadium. she quietly backed the wilf's getting the expansion nod. i think mcguire should've gone to the county from the beginning. some PR and political stumbles since the expansion press conference. they didn't have their ducks in a row.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 28th, 2015, 6:52 am

Might be a leeetle early to say SWLRT probably isn't happening. Even if the whole line doesn't happen, it wouldn't be impossible for the first couple stations to be built on their own.
This. Definitely not impossible to build an extension out to Royalston. While the SWLRT budget/delay news is a big bucket of cold water, I don't know that it has a ton of bearing on the stadium. Short LRT extensions get built in other metros all the time. That said, I'm not sure McGuire would still build the stadium without it. An extension to Royalston gives you access to the existing Blue & Green & Northstar travelsheds, but it leaves the wealthy SW suburbs out of the equation.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » April 28th, 2015, 7:51 am

Is the lack of a Royalston station really a factor? Soccer fans have been trekking out to Blaine for years. How many of ‘em would actually forego attending a match solely because they’d rather not walk 1/4 mile from Target Field Station to the stadium?

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » April 28th, 2015, 8:03 am

Is the lack of a Royalston station really a factor? Soccer fans have been trekking out to Blaine for years. How many of ‘em would actually forego attending a match solely because they’d rather not walk 1/4 mile from Target Field Station to the stadium?
I don't think it would be too big of a problem. It would require some significant pedestrian improvements that should probably happen anyways.

AccordGuy
Metrodome

Postby AccordGuy » April 28th, 2015, 8:09 am

I guess I'm curious as to why this needs to be in Minneapolis. We already have the Vikings, Twins, and the Timberwolves. Why do we need this as well ? My vote last time around did not go to Mayor Hodges, but I support her on this stadium issue.
As far as this area goes, who cares if its kind of industrial?
The argument that the stadium, and development that follows, will help transform north Minneapolis is completely bogus. I've lived in Minneapolis since I was born and no single development has ever helped transform, or bring hope, to north Minneapolis. A soccer stadium will not help.
Currently I live in north Minneapolis and I see lots of new residents moving in, fixing up old homes and taking better care of their communities. That is what will help the north side.
Born in Minneapolis.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » April 28th, 2015, 8:14 am

Im not sure that anyone has ever stated that this stadium would help North Minneapolis. It will help this small, underutilized industrial section of downtown redevelop into more useful uses given its location. But by no means will this impact North Minneapolis. And this stadium should be built downtown because it is smart to have these type of structures in a centralized location. And that location is either downtown Minneapolis or St Paul.

AccordGuy
Metrodome

Postby AccordGuy » April 28th, 2015, 8:35 am

St. Paul can have it. It would be nice to see more on that side of the river anyway. Maybe somewhere near the Green line if space is available. The strib editorial I read mentioned north Minneapolis and how this part of downtown being redeveloped could help revitalize that part of the city.

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/edit ... 92601.html
Born in Minneapolis.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » April 28th, 2015, 8:41 am

McGuire wants this in Minneapolis, and as much as you may want it to go to St. Paul, that's not ideal to the vast majority of the fans (much like football, basketball and baseball...). It's tough when we have two downtowns, but really, if there's going to be a new stadium for soccer, downtown Minneapolis makes the most logical sense. Given its proximity to the fan base (west and southwest metro) and abundant transit and parking options.

As for North Minneapolis, you're absolutely right that a new stadium doesn't really help that part of the city. However, any means of reconnecting the divide of 94 between North and Downtown is certainly in everyone's best interest. Like it or not, that physical barrier creates a divide wider than the Grand Canyon in many people's minds.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 28th, 2015, 1:49 pm

Im not sure that anyone has ever stated that this stadium would help North Minneapolis.
Not here, but the meme is out there. And it's totally bogus.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 28th, 2015, 1:50 pm

As for North Minneapolis, you're absolutely right that a new stadium doesn't really help that part of the city. However, any means of reconnecting the divide of 94 between North and Downtown is certainly in everyone's best interest. Like it or not, that physical barrier creates a divide wider than the Grand Canyon in many people's minds.
But this has absolutely nothing to do with the stadium. We could make those investments TODAY. We simply choose not to.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 28th, 2015, 1:57 pm

But David Northsiders say its true why won't you just listen to the Northsiders.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » April 28th, 2015, 2:10 pm

But David Northsiders say its true why won't you just listen to the Northsiders.
Why does every post on here lately seem to always go down this road...

It's tiring.
This site should be about development, not petty bickering and back and forth BS that derails threads.
Sadly, it makes me (and I'm sure others) not want to contribute and/or be a part of this community.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 28th, 2015, 2:15 pm

Because when having a debate it's not possible to 100% separate the points made from the people that make them. And I enjoy debating in good faith. If it takes some snark to make that happen, then so be it.

If you just want this to be a repository of information with no discussion other than pats on the back, then I don't know, a forum isn't what you're looking for.