Soccer Stadium in Minneapolis (cancelled)

Historical Topics - Archives
Rich
Rice Park

Re: Farmers Market Soccer Stadium

Postby Rich » November 21st, 2014, 8:50 am

now we have county/mcguire vs city/wilfs
I wonder if the city, which wants the MLS to use the downtown east stadium (and the adjacent park) in which they’re heavily invested, is making their preference known to league officials. If so, how much would the city’s preference weigh in the league’s decision? And would the city go so far as to tell MLS officials that they’ll fight the construction of a new stadium?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 21st, 2014, 9:40 am

But no one says "I'm batting one point zero zero zero," they say "I'm batting a thousand"

They call it "batting one thousand" because saying 1.000 isn't fun and saying "batting one" isn't cool, but the two ways of showing in writing this parlance of baseball is: "batting a thousand/one thousand" and "batting 1.000". "Batting 1,000" means absolutely nothing to those who follow or play baseball. You either say "thousand" or show 100% with three decimals. It really means hitting 100%, not missing, a perfect hitting record, etc. So the number 1,000 has nothing to do with any of that, but since 1.000 looks so much like 1,000, they call it "batting a thousand" (i.e. they'd call it batting one, ten, a hundred or ten thousand if the number of decimals used to show batting percentages was different).

It's definitely a technicality, and super unimportant, but I just felt the need to chime in and support the original notion that it should be "batting 1.000" (or "batting a thousand"). :)

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » November 21st, 2014, 11:57 am

Twins fans barely know what batting 300 means. 1000 or 1.000 isn't something we consider

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » November 21st, 2014, 5:17 pm

But no one says "I'm batting one point zero zero zero," they say "I'm batting a thousand"

They call it "batting one thousand" because saying 1.000 isn't fun and saying "batting one" isn't cool, but the two ways of showing in writing this parlance of baseball is: "batting a thousand/one thousand" and "batting 1.000". "Batting 1,000" means absolutely nothing to those who follow or play baseball. You either say "thousand" or show 100% with three decimals. It really means hitting 100%, not missing, a perfect hitting record, etc. So the number 1,000 has nothing to do with any of that, but since 1.000 looks so much like 1,000, they call it "batting a thousand" (i.e. they'd call it batting one, ten, a hundred or ten thousand if the number of decimals used to show batting percentages was different).

It's definitely a technicality, and super unimportant, but I just felt the need to chime in and support the original notion that it should be "batting 1.000" (or "batting a thousand"). :)
I know I was just giving you a hard time.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 3rd, 2014, 9:33 am

The MLS commissioner yesterday hinted that climate control might be necessary in cold-weather climates.
"It was [zero degrees] in Minneapolis yesterday. Imagine what it would be like in February," MLS Commissioner Don Garber said at his annual State of the League address Tuesday. "The weather issues we have, I believe, are insurmountable until we start building domes or heating our stadiums, and that is an unfortunate reality that we have to manage."
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... ndoor.html

This is an understandable concern, especially because some fans will forever be pushing for MLS to align its schedule with that of the major European leagues and play over the winter. And even if that never happens, MLS Cup is now in December, so cold weather is already a reality.

With that in mind, does anyone have insight on the logistics of using a temporary dome system? Not a fix retractable roof like the SkyDome, but some form of the dome put up each winter over the fields at Augsburg, Concordia and various other tennis courts and soccer fields each winter? Of course those domes don't have to incorporate 20,000 seats, but as a concept it doesn't seem unreasonable — at the very least, it would be cheaper and less intrusive than a permanent retractable roof.

And to be sure, I'm not necessarily suggesting a dome that would encompass the entire facility, but probably something more creative. Perhaps you build the stadium so it can be made airtight and a dome can be connected to the very top? Or maybe one wall of the stadium is really tall, and some sort of roofing material can be rolled out at a slant to enclose the stadium?

Maybe I'm grasping at straws, but the tea leaves seem to be showing that Minneapolis will get the next team, and the momentum seems to be with the Vikings. The idea of going indoors on a beautiful summer night to watch a Vikings-owned MLS team play on artificial turf in a stadium surrounded by giant banner ads kind of takes the fun away from getting a team.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » December 3rd, 2014, 9:47 am

This was a response pertaining to what it would take to align with the European schedule, not necessarily what the league desires.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 3rd, 2014, 10:30 am

Too bad it can't just go indoors *when needed*, which is how Gopher baseball and the MSHSL will use the new "People's Stadium" when season dictates climate control.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 3rd, 2014, 10:37 am

I'm not sure what that post means, but the major European leagues run roughly from August to May, some of them with a break around Christmas. That's generally the schedule FIFA works around for international competitions — the World Cup being held in the summer, for example — so there would be some value in having a similar schedule for MLS. Of course, there's also great value in playing MLS games during the summer, when the weather is nice and the sports calendar is much lighter, even if the league has to occasionally suspend play or lose key players for international tournaments.

I'm skeptical that the league would change its schedule any time soon, but the issue is never really going to go away. One proposed compromise solution is to have in effect two seasons, one in the fall and one in the spring. That type of format isn't unheard of in soccer, but I would think it's too quirky for an American audience. Either way, though, cold weather games in Toronto and Montreal (and maybe Minneapolis) are inevitable. The question is whether MLS would go for a farmer's market stadium that offers no protection from the winter weather.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 3rd, 2014, 10:39 am

Too bad it can't just go indoors *when needed*, which is how Gopher baseball and the MSHSL will use the new "People's Stadium" when season dictates climate control.
That would seem to be a good solution, but from a business perspective the two ownership groups would have to come to a compromise, and politically it would probably be harder to justify a new outdoor stadium if it wasn't used for the full season. On the flip side, though, this might allow for some concessions to an outdoor stadium that could make it cheaper.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 3rd, 2014, 10:58 am

Too bad we couldn't have had a soccer-compatible CHS Field or Seibert Field.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 3rd, 2014, 11:08 am

Or TCF Bank Stadium...

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » December 3rd, 2014, 11:18 am

That would seem to be a good solution, but from a business perspective the two ownership groups would have to come to a compromise, and politically it would probably be harder to justify a new outdoor stadium if it wasn't used for the full season. On the flip side, though, this might allow for some concessions to an outdoor stadium that could make it cheaper.
I would presume the MLS clause in the Vikings stadium would be negated should Minnesota United FC be awarded a team, since a team could no longer be awarded to the Vikings. It would free up the MSFA to negotiate to whatever terms with MNUFC.

bus14
Block E

Postby bus14 » December 3rd, 2014, 11:26 am

Too bad we couldn't have had a soccer-compatible CHS Field or Seibert Field.
http://chs-field.com/about/design/
Scroll to the very bottom, click Site diagrams. You'll see a drawing of several possible configurations for CHS Field. #3 Alternative Sports Diagram upper right. Shows a hockey rink and soccer field. Seating numbers wouldn't make this a viable site for major league sports. But usable for smaller leagues or school athletics I suppose.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 3rd, 2014, 11:36 am

I think they would be crazy to follow the European schedule of the winter. They would be up against the same entertainment dollars that are now going with football, basketball and hockey. Having 4 sports vying for the same dollars at the same time IMO would not bode well for the MSL.

Soccer like baseball is better outside in the sunshine IMO.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » December 18th, 2014, 8:22 am

Apparently the man who fleeced millions of dollars out of ordinary people is not done yet.

Soccer Stadoum Subsidy?

The MLS is barely a going concern, so I think giving them a dime would foolish.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » December 18th, 2014, 8:30 am

Apparently the man who fleeced millions of dollars out of ordinary people is not done yet.

Soccer Stadoum Subsidy?

The MLS is barely a going concern, so I think giving them a dime would foolish.
This is merely posturing. If he were to come in and say no public money, but ask for even a sidewalk in the future the torches would be lit.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » December 18th, 2014, 8:39 am

As they should be. The MLS doesn't deserve anything.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 18th, 2014, 10:29 am

I agree. The multiple listing service seems to be doing just fine.

Didier
Capella Tower

Re: Major League Soccer in Minnesota

Postby Didier » January 2nd, 2015, 9:12 am

This isn't related to MLS, but I think people interested in this discussion will enjoy it. Somebody made logos for a hypothetical Minnesota soccer league.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/101 ... e-du-nord/

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » January 28th, 2015, 12:49 pm

Here's what the NASL's Indianapolis Eleven has proposed for their soccer specific stadium.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/01 ... en-stadium