Block E (archive)

Historical Topics - Archives
Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Block E

Postby Nick » December 4th, 2013, 10:33 pm

WCCO just added a useable rooftop to their building on Nicollet--they're not going anywhere. Though kudos to them is definitely due for staying in the city in the first place. I know WCCO is the station I have on in the morning, and I love seeing their reporters around downtown, probably weekly.

Even though it seems like the Strib is probably a lost cause, I still wish we could get some kind of media company in Block E. KSTP is on University right on the border between the two cities, Fox 9 is Eden Prairie and KARE 11 is in Golden Valley. I don't know about KSTP, but I believe the latter two have relatively new facilities. KSTP probably isn't moving. The Clear Channel radio stations (including KFAN and KDWB) are in one of the office buildings in St. Louis Park by the West End. I just love the idea of a news room (or a studio!) at ground level in Block E.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 4th, 2013, 11:01 pm

Hubbard has a bunch of stuff going on at their University Avenue location besides just the TV station. The building is getting old but I can't imagine them leaving anytime soon, especially for Block E.

The problem with radio, as others have mentioned, is that pretty much every station these days is part of a big conglomerate. Maybe KTWIN, for obvious reasons, but they already have a ground level studio downtown.

I used to be skeptical of the downtown Best Buy idea, but lately I think a store could work here or maybe on that empty block just south of here. The combination of a local company and a downtown store and a technology store feels like it could be made to be unique.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 4th, 2013, 11:46 pm

With all the new people moving in downtown maybe a Microsoft or Apple Store would work on Block E.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » December 5th, 2013, 7:58 am

I toured the channel 9 studios back in 1994. Granted that was 20 years ago, but they seemed to have a lot of room and liked their location.

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » December 5th, 2013, 9:45 am

Wasn't a Niketown planned for this location at one point? I still think that would go well here. They seem to do well with multi-level locations in downtown areas.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » December 5th, 2013, 9:46 am

I don't think a big box tech store like best buy would survive downtown, especially with MOA a light rail ride away, and countless best buy stores scattered a 15/20 minute drive. I can see a smaller niche store, like a mobile store, or apple store or MS store, but that seems like a stretch as well with MOA so close.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 5th, 2013, 9:47 am

With technology today being what it is, a radio (or TV station, even) could very easily have a remote studio located in Block E and keep the rest of their facilities wherever they are. I'm not sure that it would really be that great of a tenant, but it could definitely be done.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 5th, 2013, 10:01 am

didn't kfan have a remote studio inside the target center? or maybe they still do?
not gonna lie, I never go to wolves/lynx games. last time I was in target center was likely my high school graduation.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » December 5th, 2013, 11:03 am

I don't believe Minneapolis itself has a single Best Buy. Strange with their HQ so close. Downtown makes perfect sense.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » December 5th, 2013, 11:31 am

Also, in order to get to MOA on the light rail, it is a pretty long ride. Not to mention having to tranfer if coming from the U. With the U students, and the number of people living and working downtown, a Best Buy should do well there.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 5th, 2013, 11:36 am

Best Buy is building more of their small format mobile stores anyways. Tech retail just doesn't need the big box floorplates it used to.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 5th, 2013, 1:48 pm

The floor plates for the original retail anchors on the corners (when the project opened) were not on the scale of big box. In an article, it was mentioned the interior spaces are flexible to reconfigure so there's a lot of possibility and potential.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 5th, 2013, 3:49 pm

A Best Buy Mobile, as mattaudio mentions, or a Verizon "superstore" http://adage.com/article/digital/verizo ... ce/245338/ would seem like worthy candidates. Then again, retail is a better match for Nicollet Mall. Block E and Hennepin Ave in general are just not strong retail locations. It's much more likely that restaurant/entertainment uses will move (back) into Block E rather than mainstream retail. Why, as a retailer, would you go to Block E, when there is open space facing Nicollet Mall?

I wish a Dave & Busters or Pinz type concept could find a way to survive in this location...they could just takeover the ready-made Gameworks spot. Gameworks was a blast.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » December 5th, 2013, 9:49 pm

Hmmm - how about an indoor broom ball court? Although the game originated in Canada - I know it's very popular in MN. Something different you don't find in every state/city.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 5th, 2013, 10:29 pm

Not that this is the right location for it, but I've thought that a curling club somewhere in the North Loop would be a major hit. The hipsters would eat that up. Just think of it as the winter version of Brit's.

JMS9

Postby JMS9 » December 5th, 2013, 11:59 pm

I don't think a big box tech store like best buy would survive downtown, especially with MOA a light rail ride away, and countless best buy stores scattered a 15/20 minute drive. I can see a smaller niche store, like a mobile store, or apple store or MS store, but that seems like a stretch as well with MOA so close.
I live in the North Loop and have a car. Doesn't mean I get all giddy at the idea of driving to Best Buy in Roseville or Richfield. Couldn't the same be said of Target? Way more Targets around than BB's, yet I chose the downtown store over The Quarry or Brooklyn Park because it's way closer and more convenient. Best Buy downtown surely would succeed.

MplsSteve
Nicollet Mall

Postby MplsSteve » December 6th, 2013, 7:44 am

Admittedly I don't follow these things that closely, but I assume from all of the comments that Best Buy's fortunes have improved. It seems like not that long ago there were some serious questions about its survival. I think in general, the changing nature of all retail makes it very difficult to predict what would do well in Block E. After all, quite a few of the original tennants were not doing well overall, not just in Block E. I like the idea of a curling club. It seems like we should try to keep Nicollet our primary retail street and Hennepin as entertainment/leisure/activities.

dingo
Metrodome

Postby dingo » December 6th, 2013, 8:37 am

Not that this is the right location for it, but I've thought that a curling club somewhere in the North Loop would be a major hit. The hipsters would eat that up. Just think of it as the winter version of Brit's.
I too think a curling club somewhere in the city would be awesome! I know I have heard many people try to go to the St Paul one, but it always booked.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 6th, 2013, 8:52 am

We're kind of getting in the weeds here, and a lot of this conversation could be taking place in Downtown Retail News or various speculation topics. Let's try to bring this back to actual Block E news/rumors.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 6th, 2013, 10:02 am

We're kind of getting in the weeds here
^^^Probably the number one best selling retail item on Block E for as long as I can remember. ;)