Block E (archive)

Historical Topics - Archives
nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Re: Block E

Postby nordeast homer » November 27th, 2013, 11:03 am

I miss the old E Block, it was like a Minneapolis version of (the old) Times Square. I used to hang out there all the time in the mid to late '80s and saw so much. A part of the cities soul died when they tore it down. Cities should be a little bit anarchic and rough around the edges.
We had such a great punk rock scene that thrived on that edginess. I remember going into Moby Dicks once; the look that the bouncer gave me told me that it should be my only visit, that and I believe the term 'fresh meat' was used. :shock:

I won't go as far to say that I like the 70's version of Block E better than the current, but I will be more excited to see the current version disappear; what an eyesore.

blindeke
Block E

Postby blindeke » November 27th, 2013, 12:49 pm

just cause that's what probably woulda happened doesn't mean it's what shoulda happened.

also, check out city center in that rendering. LOL.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » November 28th, 2013, 11:48 am

I remember walking Hennepin from The 90's to the Saloon on Saturday night in the late 70's. There was an almost carnival atmosphere on the street, especially in the summer. Lots of characters. Fun!
I remember too - that whole stretch was gritty, scary, titillating - you name it… It was very authentically the destination for vice. Not saying that all the crime was a great thing - it just was very real and un-choreographed. I think when you are young you want to feel like you are in the place "where it all happens" and that was block E. There is very little opportunity to hang out in sketchy places and rub shoulders with people so totally diverse - I miss that part of our city. I am not glorifying the crime that happened there - I just feel that too much "planning" can create Disneyland and "programmed" fun. Guess I am old and old school.

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » November 28th, 2013, 12:29 pm

In 1987 my roommate lost $20 to a couple of dudes who set up a 3 card monte table in front of Shinders. I knew some people who would write little plays and act them out on the street on Hennepin. And of course there were all the other things too, but stuff like that just doesn't happen in today's Minneapolis. Everything that happens downtown, happens because it is being fronted by a major corporation or a well connected local business. The culture of organic street life is fading into the past because the powers that be fear it.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » November 28th, 2013, 9:53 pm

I really do miss the 70's - lots of little store fronts and places to explore. That streetscape is really gone now. Downtown St. Paul still has it in a few areas. Great urban spaces have the opportunity for discovery - that is usually not planned. Still love the city but you can't walk down 7th street and go from a wig store to a magic store to a pet store to a hat store etc etc.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » November 28th, 2013, 10:45 pm

I really do miss the 70's - lots of little store fronts and places to explore. That streetscape is really gone now. Downtown St. Paul still has it in a few areas. Great urban spaces have the opportunity for discovery - that is usually not planned. Still love the city but you can't walk down 7th street and go from a wig store to a magic store to a pet store to a hat store etc etc.
Even Nicollet Mall has lost that charm. It's what I love about the shopping streets of Venice, London, Amsterdam, Athens and Ankara. Used to spend many afternoons browsing in places like that and have picked up many unique items along the way.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 29th, 2013, 9:47 am

Well, I doubt Bob Lux has a surveymonkey going for Block E, but I hope you've all taken the survey about Nicollet Mall (link over in that thread) and made note that you want more storefronts, more organic street life, etc.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » November 29th, 2013, 6:13 pm

Well, I doubt Bob Lux has a surveymonkey going for Block E, but I hope you've all taken the survey about Nicollet Mall (link over in that thread) and made note that you want more storefronts, more organic street life, etc.
This is a really great suggestion. I went and took that survey last night. It is focused on determining what are people's priorities for the mall.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 3rd, 2013, 10:44 pm

A great photo of Block E a few years before it was demo'd via Old Minneapolis FB-

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 6337_n.jpg
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » December 4th, 2013, 12:03 am

"Block E: Remaking AMC multiplex into Timberwolves facility"

"Converting a multi-level movie complex into a spacious hardwood basketball court will be no fast break for the Timberwolves and Lynx teams when they take over the vacant AMC 15 in Block E in downtown Minneapolis.

But changes in theater construction over the years should work in the pro basketball teams’ favor. The Timberwolves ownership has a tentative agreement to relocate the practice facility from the Target Center to the 84,000-square-foot, 15-screen space — just a skyway away."

Read more: http://finance-commerce.com/2013/12/blo ... z2mU0Hm6Tl

The next couple of years are going to see both sides of downtown look pretty different in the next couple years. :D

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 4th, 2013, 8:14 am

Besides sounding cool, I'm not exactly sure what the cachet is of having the practice facility as a tenant. Are they likely to be a good paying tenant? Yes. Will this use bring many people into the complex? Doubtful. I bet even a failing multiplex in a poorly laid out 2001 iteration brought more visitors through the door.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » December 4th, 2013, 8:47 am

So is the current practice facility part of Target Center? Did they need it to move as part of the TC renovation plans? I am not sure what the internal layout is, but I believe they plan on changing around the main entrance and ticket offices. I have heard conflicting news about the fate of Hubert's.

Would it make sense to tie these two renovations together to make it look like one larger facility?

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » December 4th, 2013, 9:37 am

Yes, All Class A office would be better than this...would the facility even be used daily year round? Hopefully the first two floors will turn out acceptable, and they can get a couple good destination restaurants to add some life to the street.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » December 4th, 2013, 10:29 am

Besides sounding cool, I'm not exactly sure what the cachet is of having the practice facility as a tenant. Are they likely to be a good paying tenant? Yes. Will this use bring many people into the complex? Doubtful. I bet even a failing multiplex in a poorly laid out 2001 iteration brought more visitors through the door.
The cachet is that they can make good use of an undesirable space. Who says class A office space was even feasible here? Also, the wolves wanted a new practice facility -- what better place for it?
Towns!

dingo
Metrodome

Postby dingo » December 4th, 2013, 10:41 am

My hope is that having a sports team in the building will help turn Block E into more of a sports hub possibly attracting KFAN, or Fox Sports North to relocate to the building as well.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » December 4th, 2013, 12:01 pm

You would not get Class A space in that area. And what would it bring? Maybe a hundred or so employees working in that space? That really wouldnt add much. I have over 100 in my department on my floor, and the amount of traffic that creates is very minimal. Not sure it would be that great of an asset. Plus, this is a VERY busy portion of the skyway system. Traffic should not be a concern. What should be concentrated on are the first 2 levels. Get good use out of those.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » December 4th, 2013, 12:12 pm

My hope is that having a sports team in the building will help turn Block E into more of a sports hub possibly attracting KFAN, or Fox Sports North to relocate to the building as well.
Being that FSN just moved into Lasalle Plaza last year, complete with new studios and everything. I would say it's highly unlikely they will be moving any time soon.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » December 4th, 2013, 12:26 pm

JMS9

Postby JMS9 » December 4th, 2013, 10:11 pm

Maybe WCCO moves in? KFAN has already moved from Bloomington to St Louis Park, in the last year or two. Maybe one of the other two sports stations...1500ESPN or The Ticket. Although 105.1 only really has the ONE show right now (Sansavere and Mike Morris).

If they go the retail route they need to fulfill the promise the original Block E made/showed - restaurants and retail that people need or want to come downtown for. Places that don't exist in the suburbs. Having said that, maybe Best Buy? Apple store? Microsoft? Downtown needs a tech store. And no, the Radioshack in Gavidea doesn't count.

Is Shout House staying? They said Kieran's is but nothing about Shout House.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » December 4th, 2013, 10:19 pm

I saw a note somewhere that said all current retail is staying (Keirans, Jimmy Johns, Shout House and I feel like there is a 4th... Starbucks?)