2013 Minneapolis Municipal Election

Who wanted to be mayor?
ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Re: 2013 Minneapolis Municipal Elections

Postby ECtransplant » December 6th, 2012, 11:31 am

Let's move on and elect someone with a positive attitude who supports growth in Uptown and doesn't get all bitchy when you call 25th Street or 27th Street "Uptown" before even addressing your business proposal.

The new Ward 10 rep will be overseeing the redevelopment of the Kmart site (planning stages anyways), and potential larger scale proposals for Mozaic phase 2 and Calhoun Square phase 2 and I simply do not trust her to act in the interests of anyone outside of her (older, wealthier, home-owning) constituency.
Also, this.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 6th, 2012, 1:34 pm

Redisciple like a boss.
Tuthill also used this type of argument against it, in addition to the inane zoning issue. This "you don't actually need X business" or "if you like X business you belong elsewhere" is really a poor way to design or execute public policy. If people don't need a Trader Joes, it will not survive and it will close. Let the marketplace work.
If your implications that TJ's should be in cities, and letting the market work are ideal, Should not the developer and TJ's have created a plan like they used in other cities? Why put the horse behind the cart. TJ's is MORE than capable of creating an urban store. (edit: No one is going to propose a trader joes with 200 units of housing mixed use property in downtown Wilmer, MN, why doesn't it seem so alien to say that a suburban style TJ's is being built in uptown?) The plan they submitted was not 'letting the marketplace work' that was letting the supplier be lazy and cheap, and giving us another mini kmart on Lyndale to go along with the Wedge. I don't care how it was defeated, or by what hypocrisy, but it needed to be done. You're all looking for a redevelopment of the Kmart blocks, the rainbow blocks, complain about the large lots and auto-centricity of the wedge and uptown lunds, I think you're all spewing a tall order of hypocrisy too if you think that TJ's was acceptable for this neighborhood.
I really despised the specific proposal the developer made, too. However, Tuthill, instead of working with the developer to come up with a more urban proposal, just complained about parking and killed the proposal. She did nothing to try and bring a Trader Joes to uptown -- something which would be a great asset to her constituents. Instead, her actions are more likely to cause TJs not to bother with whatever other proposal they might make to enter the uptown market. She a voice for the NIMBYs of the area, not for those looking to see uptown continue to become more urban and vibrant, and less auto-centric.
Trader Joe's had two chances to revamp their plans, and did present updated versions, but they were still crap.

Edit: In this case I'm a NIMBY because it's less than three blocks from my home. And I do like Trader Joe's, but I like my city better, and I'd be willing to wait for Trader Joe's to partner with a developer and come up with something that better fits our community. If they had done that I bet they would have been able to build. I'm not saying I necessarily agree with the liquor zoning btw... but imagine how long that parking lot would be there before Lyndale could recover an urban feel on that half block if it was built...
Last edited by Nathan on December 6th, 2012, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » December 6th, 2012, 1:36 pm

Trader Joe's had two chances to revamp their plans, and did present updated versions, but they were still crap.
Maybe if the local Councilmember emphasized urbanity instead of parking, we would have gotten a better revamp.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 6th, 2012, 1:38 pm

It's the difference between "You're not welcome" and "You're welcome if you meet certain standards." Tuthill's "you're not welcome" attitude hurts the city.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 6th, 2012, 1:42 pm

It's the difference between "You're not welcome" and "You're welcome if you meet certain standards." Tuthill's "you're not welcome" attitude hurts the city.
They weren't welcome because they didn't meet the zoning in that area that was meant to keep and maintain an urban scale in the neighborhood. The same way that the city should have been unwelcome to Kmart, but weren't because they were desperate. Minneapolis is NOT desperate anymore. It can grow according to it's rules.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 6th, 2012, 1:49 pm

I was referring to her demeaning voicemail to some entrepreneurs.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » December 6th, 2012, 2:15 pm

They weren't welcome because they didn't meet the zoning in that area that was meant to keep and maintain an urban scale in the neighborhood. The same way that the city should have been unwelcome to Kmart, but weren't because they were desperate. Minneapolis is NOT desperate anymore. It can grow according to it's rules.
No one here is arguing that the Trader Joe's proposal was good as is. If TJ had proposed a progressive and urban format, do you think your council member would have been more supportive or less? IIRC, the council member's main concern, other than the zoning issue, was that there wasn't enough parking.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 6th, 2012, 4:57 pm

No one here is arguing that the Trader Joe's proposal was good as is. If TJ had proposed a progressive and urban format, do you think your council member would have been more supportive or less? IIRC, the council member's main concern, other than the zoning issue, was that there wasn't enough parking.
Also that it was for one business. If it was a larger development it would have had more parking and been multiple businesses.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 6th, 2012, 5:03 pm

Can you imagine how many times those 'entrepreneurs' called and pestered her? No offense, but I doubt it was a as clear cut as her leaving that immediate voicemail...

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 6th, 2012, 5:05 pm

Nothing justifies her unprofessionalism. Her conduct was not befitting of an officeholder in our city.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » December 6th, 2012, 5:22 pm

Can you imagine how many times those 'entrepreneurs' called and pestered her? No offense, but I doubt it was a as clear cut as her leaving that immediate voicemail...
Seconded.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 6th, 2012, 5:42 pm

Nothing justifies her unprofessionalism. Her conduct was not befitting of an officeholder in our city.
Life would be much better if more people were as curt and frank as that. It's not like she was offensive. She merely called people out on their BS, and told them they could either play by the rules (as every other small business in the area manages to do) or not. I'm not boosting her as a mayoral candidate or anything, but she's not as bad as people make her out to be. clearly she's done alright. She has a HUGE spectrum of demographics to cater to, and the area does nothing but thrive.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » December 6th, 2012, 6:31 pm

Life would be much better if more people were as curt and frank as that. It's not like she was offensive. She merely called people out on their BS, and told them they could either play by the rules (as every other small business in the area manages to do) or not. I'm not boosting her as a mayoral candidate or anything, but she's not as bad as people make her out to be. clearly she's done alright. She has a HUGE spectrum of demographics to cater to, and the area does nothing but thrive.
Yeah and all she caters to is the NIMBYs. She represents what the area was, not what it is becoming

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 6th, 2012, 7:26 pm

Life would be much better if more people were as curt and frank as that. It's not like she was offensive.
I'm assuming most of us leave voicemails representing corporate entities of many varieties. I bet most of us communicate in our business lives in a very direct manner. But I bet none of us have called another "honey" in a condescending, pejorative manner.

Someone who says "I do not work on changing ordinances..." without explaining why not, is an enemy of her constituents. It means she refuses to do her job and go beyond pro-forma compliance to city code if city code serves no legitimate purpose.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 6th, 2012, 7:28 pm

NIMBYs my ass. They were bad proposals, plain and simple. People have short memories around here.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 6th, 2012, 7:51 pm

So wouldn't the non-NIMBY solution been to change the useless liquor spacing regulations so Trader Joes could develop on the block they likely wanted? It likely would have been a better proposal on the east side of Lyndale. Being a leader is more than saying "no."

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » December 6th, 2012, 8:07 pm

NIMBYs my ass. They were bad proposals, plain and simple. People have short memories around here.
But that's not why she opposed it. Her parking fetishism prevented her from pushing for a more urban proposal. That parking obsession is part of her allegiance with the NIMBY element. That, and I guess the fact that we don't need a Trader Joes because uptown's revitalized, honey!

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 6th, 2012, 8:30 pm

Oh, fetishism, of course.

Back on Minnescraper- you were blaming the developer:
http://minnescraper.com/forums/viewtopi ... &start=135
I don't know what being a liberal area has to do with it, but I agree and will be sourly disappointed both if this developer causes Trader Joe's not to come to uptown or also if this thing gets built as proposed.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 6th, 2012, 9:37 pm

But that's not why she opposed it. Her parking fetishism prevented her from pushing for a more urban proposal. That parking obsession is part of her allegiance with the NIMBY element.
I'll admit that I probably didn't track this proposal as closely as some, but I don't recall her obsessing over the parking for this proposal. Am I wrong?

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » December 6th, 2012, 11:30 pm

Oh, fetishism, of course.

Back on Minnescraper- you were blaming the developer:
http://minnescraper.com/forums/viewtopi ... &start=135
I don't know what being a liberal area has to do with it, but I agree and will be sourly disappointed both if this developer causes Trader Joe's not to come to uptown or also if this thing gets built as proposed.

And I'm still glad that it didn't get built *as proposed*. And the developer did suck. I stand by those statements and don't think I've contradicted then.

When the TJs was proposed, Tuthill complained there wasn't enough parking -- she compared it to what she thinks is a parking nightmare at the St. Louis Park TJs. Someone with that mindset should not be representing uptown as it becomes more urban. Uptown would be better off with someone who would have pushed the developer for something mixed-use with *less* surface parking.