2013 Minneapolis Municipal Election

Who wanted to be mayor?
PhilmerPhil

2013 Minneapolis Municipal Election

Postby PhilmerPhil » November 29th, 2012, 10:45 am

RT has yet to confirm whether or not he will seek a fourth term, and so far Councilmembers Gary Schiff and Betsy Hodges have both expressed interest in filling his position if he does not run again.

Thoughts on Schiff or Hodges?
What are some other potential people you would like to see run for mayor?
What would you like to see in the the city's next mayor?
Will Mr. Flowers win in a landslide?

Speculate, discuss, and try to keep it civil.

twincitizen

Re: 2013 Minneapolis Mayoral Race

Postby twincitizen » November 29th, 2012, 11:05 am

Although I disagree with him on the stadium vote, I think RT has been a great mayor for Minneapolis. In a strong council - weak mayor system, the mayor is kind of a glorified spokesman and city booster and I think RT embodies that perfectly. He is always really positive and clearly loves the city and loves his job.

That said, I do like Gary Schiff. I think he would make a good mayor if RT moves on to DC. He seems to be knowledgable with regards to reforming antiquated statutes and his experiences (and votes) on the Planning Commission lead me to believe he's a pro-growth guy (as opposed to a "let's keep things the way they are for the sake of current residents" ethos)

I don't know much about Hodges other than her role in the bungling of Linden Corner. She also voted against the stadium, correct?

Should I start a separate thread for the Ward 10 Race: Anyone But Tuthill ?

Nick
Capella Tower

Re: 2013 Minneapolis Municipal Elections

Postby Nick » November 29th, 2012, 11:36 am

Just renamed it for the whole municipal election, probably good right?

*Reminder: Let's keep this thread PG-13 or better if possible.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » November 29th, 2012, 1:53 pm

Not a fan of Schiff's condescending attitude, even if I agree in principal with most things I've heard him talk about.
Towns!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 29th, 2012, 3:29 pm

Please, not Schiff. He's been running for Mayor of Minneapolis longer than Romney had been running for President.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » November 30th, 2012, 7:46 am

As long as Meg Tuthill is gone I am happy.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 30th, 2012, 6:03 pm

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I like Tuthill, and I don't like Schiff or Hodges... lol It would be a sad day to see RT gone to one of them...

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 30th, 2012, 6:48 pm

Yes, I really do hope that Rybak runs again.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 30th, 2012, 10:58 pm

I can't imagine what kind of limb it would take to be a fan of Tuthill

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » December 1st, 2012, 9:22 am

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I like Tuthill, and I don't like Schiff or Hodges... lol It would be a sad day to see RT gone to one of them...
What possible thing has Tuthill done well?

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » December 1st, 2012, 12:49 pm

As resident of Minneapolis, I really hope RT stays on as mayor. He understands very well how cities work and has done a lot of good for the city.

As a resident of uptown, for the love of all that is good and decent, any one but Tuthill.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 1st, 2012, 3:49 pm

And what has she done so wrong? The noise ordinance proposal that people complain about was brought about by concerns from the constituents of the ward. As a catalyst for conversation with business owners, as it was intended to be, it was successful. That stupid brew pub I think we can all live without.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » December 2nd, 2012, 12:08 am

Instead of doing something so we can get with the rest of the civilized world and buy beer on Sundays and at grocery stores, she makes the liquor restrictions more strict. And she proposed an ordinance aimed at gutting a unique aspect of local establishments that only people who would be better off in the burbs complain about. But uptown's revitalized, honey! So it's ok :roll:

Oh and I'd prefer to walk to a Trader Joe's in uptown, but her concern with parking means I'll still be going to the burbs if I want two buck chuck.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 2nd, 2012, 4:39 pm

Meg Tuthill shot down a brewpub? Doesn't surprise me. Was that where she left a really unprofessional voicemail unbefitting of the office of city councilor?

Even though many neighbors had good reasons to be against the TJ's proposal (it was not nearly as urbanist as something on that corner should be) I felt like her reasoning was very parochial and ill-founded. Saying that the neighborhood is already served by a grocery store or this or that is total b.s... government already favors incumbents in so many ways that it's sickening to think some people want to exclude new entrants to the marketplace. If people decide they want to shop at Rainbow or Wedge rather than a TJ's, the marketplace will iron out those details.

And we all know that TJ's would be in a better location if only Mpls removed our arcane liquor spacing regulations.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » December 2nd, 2012, 7:06 pm

Yup, that voicemail was re: the brewpub.

And that's exactly the problem with the Trader Joe's debacle. I really disliked TJ's proposal. However, instead of trying to work with them to get a more urban design befitting the neighborhood, she made sure to simply kill what would have been a great amenity to her constituents.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » December 3rd, 2012, 8:14 am

I felt like her reasoning was very parochial and ill-founded. Saying that the neighborhood is already served by a grocery store or this or that is total b.s... government already favors incumbents in so many ways that it's sickening to think some people want to exclude new entrants to the marketplace. If people decide they want to shop at Rainbow or Wedge rather than a TJ's, the marketplace will iron out those details.
This is exactly why she is wrong for Uptown. She favors incumbents and those who benefit from the status quo too much. I sent her an email about how I thought Minneapolis should have liquor store spacing based on density instead of distance, she said she disagreed. She also added that no one else on the council was interested in changing any rules when it came to liquor store placement. I asked her if Gary Schiff had proposed anything, she did not respond.

More generally I think she is stuck in her 1960s mentality of Uptown needs to be more suburban and more inviting to automobiles. Don't get me wrong, cars are important to Uptown's success, but when you have the only thriving destination mixed use neighborhood for 500 miles you should look at ways to maximize your uniqueness.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 3rd, 2012, 8:34 am

But don't you know, we need to make Uptown the next West End!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 3rd, 2012, 9:48 am

Just to clarify -- nobody has actually suggested that Tuthill is considering running for mayor, right?

Also, it appears thatshe has a number of challengers lined up should she choose to run for her council seat again.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 3rd, 2012, 10:17 am

Tuthill, when asked if she would abide by the DFL endorsement – which she got in 2009 — wasn’t as direct. “I can’t imagine not getting it,” she said. “I am going absolutely from the positive. I am not thinking of the negative. I can’t imagine not getting the DFL endorsement.”

I do have an issue with her challengers (Killian and Bradley) agreeing to drop out if they don't get the endorsement. How many people are going to caucus for a city council election in an odd-year? Like 100? 200? Because that's how many people will decide the election in a ward of ~30,000 if they abide by the DFL nomination. Why do we even allow partisan identification in city elections? I think this is going to come down to who gets the endorsement of other politicians, unions, etc. Robert Lilligren's endorsement should have a sizeable impact, as he is the current representative for Whittier (but redistricted out in 2013).

Whoever I vote for will have to prove themselves savvy on transportation issues, with 35W-Lake, Nicollet Streetcar & Kmart redevelopment all revving up in the next 4 years.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » December 3rd, 2012, 12:21 pm

Schiff, I heard, was none too happy with how his ward 9 got squeezed off Howe/Longfellow (white liberal) neighborhoods, and pushed more into Powderhorn Park/Central (Hispanic). But he bit his lip about it to keep from sounding too racist, and spoil his chances of running for Mayor as the Anti-Stadium choice.

And Schiff has the most bloated Wikipedia page I've seen for a minor political figure. It's laughable. The other CM's, if they have something, have just a paragraph or two. Seriously, someone should get in there and trace those IP edits, and see how much Wiki-masturbation is going on in that office (and on City Time).

If RT is running, I'll back him. He hasn't given me a reason not to. If RT wasn't running, Don Samuels, Peter McLaughlin, Gail Dorfman, Tim Dolan, Elizabeth Glidden, Jim Davnie, Frank Hornstein, Sandy Colvin Roy, any of those would be good candidates if they wanted the position.