2013 Minneapolis Municipal Election

Who wanted to be mayor?
mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Re: 2013 Minneapolis Municipal Elections

Postby mplsjaromir » December 7th, 2012, 8:40 am

Meg is not too bad. Via Minnpost
The Minneapolis Public Schools’ plan to add 150 surface parking spots adjacent to the Davis Center on West Broadway has been rejected by members of the Zoning and Planning Committee.

“The idea of another block that is hard-surface parking just drives me crazy,” said Council Member Meg Tuthill, who voted against the additional parking.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 7th, 2012, 9:33 am

Get back to us when she says the same thing to a business or apartment proposal in her ward, where she has to deal with the fallout from constituents.

She has not shown the same attitude towards relaxing parking minimums, to my knowledge.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 7th, 2012, 10:13 am

Not sure why I'm defending Tuthill, but she did push them to locate some of the parking underground, and as far as I know, the quantity of parking was never particularly an issue -- more about how bad the traffic in and out of the site was likely to be.

From what I've seen of Killian, he's an ambitious young man. I don't mean that in a flattering way.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » December 7th, 2012, 10:44 am

The only non boilerplate policy that I can glean from Kendal Kilian's website is that he supports urban agriculture. I am not opposed to urban agriculture, but it is a weird position to take. I do not live in that ward anymore so my opinion is not worth much anyway.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » December 7th, 2012, 6:02 pm

I'm voting for Cam Gordon for the third time!

And it occurs to me I first voted in Minneapolis in 2005. Who did I vote for for Mayor? Did I vote for McLaughlin because we have the same first name? Did I vote for mayor it all? We may never know.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » December 8th, 2012, 8:12 am

You know you have a good city when the Green Party is more influential than the GOP.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 10th, 2012, 2:14 pm

I just read that sidebar from the Journal about Lisa Goodman's Ward 7 challenger and here's what I was able to retain on the 10 foot walk back to my computer:

Phil Willkie, 59, Kenwood.
Concerned about rising property taxes and the city's lack of population growth.
Would like to see municipal elections moved to an even numbered year (to which I say: hells to the yes, see below).
Likes Lisa Goodman and he also would have voted against the stadium.
Lisa Goodman has plenty of cash on hand, more than 2x any other incumbents.

Me: some may like the city's election being free from distractions of what's going on nationally, and I get that to some extent, but the super low turnout of odd-year elections should be enough to convince you that a change is needed. I would support moving it to the same cycle as the gubernatorial election, rather than presidential, even though that sort of contradicts what I just said about turnout. Mid-term election year turnout is something we need to work on regardless.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » December 10th, 2012, 6:15 pm

In the December issue of LHENA Wedge neighborhood newsletter (I think you need to be logged into Facebook to download),
This developer [Lander] is building enough parking according to City requirements [at the 24th & Colfax development], and if you or I owned the property that’s probably what we would do too. If you have an issue with parking you should take it to the City’s doorstep. You won’t often hear me support developers, because if you know me I rarely do, but in this case you’re better off working with the developer on other issues (besides parking) of the evelopment.
Anyone else read this as Meg Tuthill saying the city doesn't require enough parking? Isn't Meg herself the City's doorstep?
"Who rescued whom!"

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 10th, 2012, 7:13 pm

I guess you could read it this way, but you could also read it as her finding a political way to dodge a question on which she disagrees with angry constituents.

kbee
Block E

Postby kbee » December 10th, 2012, 10:54 pm

Looks like the ward 10 race is getting even more crowded: http://southwestjournal.wordpress.com/2 ... n-ward-10/.

This is going to be a really interesting race, I'm curious to see how the challengers differentiate themselves from the rest of the field. I'll admit I'm a little worried that so many challengers are going to split the vote/organizing efforts of those who are interested in seeing CM Tuthill out of office.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 10th, 2012, 11:59 pm

Seconded. Tuthill will have her own constituency that should easily rival the number of willing caucus-goers any individual candidate can drum up. Best case scenario, the DFL fails to endorse a candidate? I think another factor will be who can get the endorsement of other influential local pols. Killian already has State Sen. Jeff Hayden (and perhaps Keith Ellison? I might've made that one up). I don't know if CM Lilligren would make an endorsement in a neighboring ward, but he could be influential too. The Whittier neighborhood (most populous portion of the new Ward 10) is not as familiar with CM Tuthill, so she has just as much of an uphill battle there as her challengers.

petersonjill235
Block E

Postby petersonjill235 » December 11th, 2012, 12:50 pm

To People it Should Concern,

As I was out running errands late yesterday afternoon I made a right turn onto Bryant Ave south from 36th street in order to head home. Nearing the end of the block, between 36th street and the corner of 37th street, I witnessed an older woman take a nasty fall on the west side of the street. Needless to say, I immediately pulled my car over to see if she was okay. Two additional people also walked down from the bus stop on the corner to assist the woman, who had very obviously slipped, or tripped, on the very poorly shoveled sidewalk. A reasonable person could also say that the sidewalk was not shoveled at all. It should be also noted that the entire block was very well shoveled except for the part in front of this one house.

I made a unflattering comment about this being the only portion of the sidewalk unattended to, and so late in the day, as we three strangers assisted the poor woman who had fallen up out of the cold snow. By the way, she, the victim, insisted she was fine though she was very visibly shaken. A younger woman who was assisting commented that she believed that the person who lived in the home with the poorly shoveled sidewalk was running for City Council. I was appalled and wrote down the address. 3644 Bryant ave south.

With a few very easy Google searches this morning I have come to the knowledge that the young woman I meet on the street yesterday morning was correct. The home with the snow covered sidewalk belongs to a Mr. Killian whom is indeed running for city council in Ward 10 and claims to live in the house with the poorly shoveled sidewalk. In addition, Mr. Killian seems to be planning a Holiday party at this home on Saturday that supposedly Senator Jeff Hayden will be attending. I will venture a guess that the sidewalk will be cleared by then for the Senator, as well as the many other guests, to walk safely upon by Saturday evening. However, my disgust will still remain that a person who so seemingly has time to write many wonderful blurred visions both about, as well as reasons, why they should run for a City Office seems to lack the responsibility to do the most basic responsibilities of property ownership and maintain the sidewalk safely for those that need to walk by it to get to the bus stop, the market, or simply home. It should also be noted that a very large assisted living home, Walker Place, is one of Mr. Killian's neighbors.

In Closing, Mr. Killian seems to be fond of writing "We can not afford to look the other way". I am in strong agreement with Mr. Killian, indeed we can not afford to look the other way. We can not afford to look the other way when a person that wants us to vote for them can not keep up their very basic property ownership responsibilities. If they can not assure the safety of those that walk by their own homes how should we trust them with matters of our schools, a police force that needs mending, racial disparity and other social ills much greater that weaken our city more than the simple shoveling of a sidewalk? I have made the rounds this morning to certain addresses in Ward 10 to again check on the paths. I know which ones are cleared and what ones remain hazards.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 12th, 2012, 2:14 pm

ZING!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 12th, 2012, 2:22 pm

petersonjill235 post count: 1. I know nothing about the other contenders in this ward, but I'm immediately suspicious of any post such as the one above.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » December 12th, 2012, 4:51 pm

Say it ain't so! Someone didn't completely clear their sidewalk within 24 hours of a major snowstorm! Every single piece of concrete in Minneapolis was cleared of snow by Monday night except Killian's!

What next? You're gonna tell me his house is covered in cementitious board! That will really rile up the regulars!

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 12th, 2012, 10:13 pm

Clearing sidewalks is critical. S. Emerson and 28th St. are STILL not cleared around the old Bennet site. It is impassable for anyone with even a mild phyiscal challenge.

It really is not hard to shovel a sidewalk.

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » December 14th, 2012, 10:26 pm

Suspicious post of PetersonJill indeed. I generally recommend keeping away from posting critical pieces that can't be backed up and posted without a name of the person making the allegation.

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » December 14th, 2012, 10:40 pm

I am supporting Lisa Bender in Ward 10 and would encourage those of you in the Ward to meet her to learn of her vision, leadership capabilities, and passion.

I met Lisa in October 2009 after a summer and fall of bike fatalities. A group of about 10 to 15 bikers met to discuss what actions could be taken to make our streets safer. Lisa was a critical voice and shared with us that change was possible and that an advocacy group focused solely on Minneapolis biking not only could be effective but also possible. She and others went on to start the Minneapolis Bicycle Coalition, which has been successful in advocating for change, increasing bike parking, and bringing Open Streets to Minneapolis.

I, like many of you, are passionate about Minneapolis and what many of us see as an urban future where growth is viewed as an opportunity to enhance our quality of life if it's managed right; where our infrastructure and transportation systems can accommodate the many varied needs of our fellow citizens; and where we have a successful economy that employes our residents, offers us choice, and where small businesses can thrive.

What I see in Lisa is an open mind, an interest in innovation, a dedication to enhancing the community, and passion for the City. I don't often get excited about those seeking office, but I sincerely believe that Lisa will be good for Ward 10 and Minneapolis. Quite frankly, looking around the City there are lots of candidates who can talk the talk, the question is whether they have the passion for cities and what a municipality can and should do.

Let me know via PM if you are interested in discussing this further.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » December 24th, 2012, 2:34 pm

Meg Tuthill still prefers parking to density.

http://www.swjournal.com/index.php?publ ... tory=19180

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 25th, 2012, 12:54 am

Where'd ya read that?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.