Ward 3

Who wanted to be mayor?
Nick
Capella Tower

Ward 3

Postby Nick » January 31st, 2013, 9:54 pm

The new Ward 3 was redrawn to be a district that largely focuses on the Minneapolis riverfront. This includes the Mill District, North Loop, Marcy-Holmes, Northeast, and some working class neighborhoods in Northeast Minneapolis. Incumbent Diane Hofstede is being challenged by political newcomer Jacob Frey.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Ward 3

Postby Nick » January 31st, 2013, 9:56 pm

Notably, this seems to have happened.
In an unusual vote of no-confidence in one of their colleagues, four council members officially endorsed the upstart opponent of Ward 3 representative Diane Hofstede on Wednesday.

Jacob Frey, an attorney running for Hofstede's seat straddling the city's central riverfront, announced endorsements from Gary Schiff, Elizabeth Glidden, Robert Lilligren and Lisa Goodman on Wednesday afternoon.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » February 2nd, 2013, 1:09 pm

It would be nice to get some more people from the under-60 crowd onto the council. I don't know too much about either person to weigh in on who would be a better candidate though.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 2nd, 2013, 1:36 pm

Without doing extensive studies on wikipedia, I'd say that an easy majority of the council is under 60.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 1st, 2013, 7:20 pm

Summary of 3rd ward candidate forum: http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/ho ... date-forum (youtube video at bottom of page)

God forbid Diane Hofstede gets the DFL nomination...she is dead behind those eyes.

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » May 6th, 2013, 9:58 am

Another interesting (and encouraging) Ward Convention on Saturday. Nevertheless, as has been mentioned, Hofstede might still have a few tricks up her sleeves.

I keep hearing murmurings about the anti-incumbent sentiment we've seen at a few conventions is due to the Vikings Stadium vote. Honestly, that's overblown. It seems that other factors have been the biggest driver of change.

Tuthill lost primarily due to her gruff demeanor, anti-patio efforts, and energized young people in greater Uptown area (who actually got organized and attended their convention). Lilligren (voted against the stadium) lost due to massive demographic changes in his ward. And Hofstede is completely out of touch, and again, her district has tons of younger people who rallied around her challenger. Maybe Colvin Roy got some push back on the stadium vote; I'm not familiar with her ward.

Now it will be interesting to see how much effort the DFL exerts on behalf of its endorsed candidates and whether or not it will even matter with the ranked choice ballot.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 6th, 2013, 10:52 am

I completely agree with your assessment.

Of the four, I think that Hofstede and Tuthill are in real trouble.

I think Lilligren is likely to get re-elected. Sounds like the Somali community swamped the caucuses, but I don't think they have the demographics to win in the general elections.

I have no idea about Colvin Roy.

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » May 10th, 2013, 9:15 am

Looks like Hofstede is digging herself a bit of a hole. She went on Facebook and accused Frey of slandering her campaign (she says he's accused her of discouraging people from attending the convention), and now she's been deleting comments that are critical of her accusation: http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2013 ... enters.php

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 12th, 2013, 2:53 pm

Wow, no comments on this thread since May? This is arguably the hottest / most contested race in the City. Frey raised the most money of any City Council candidate.

MN Daily sums up the latest debate: http://www.mndaily.com/news/metro-state ... s-talk-art

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 22nd, 2013, 5:06 pm

I saw Jacob Frey with a clipboard in the North Loop when I was out taking pictures today, which I think is the third time I've seen him canvassing in the past few months. He's sure working for it.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Minnekid
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnekid » September 22nd, 2013, 9:54 pm

I like the idea for a downtown school. I assume he means high school or if for downtown, because r there is an elementary school in the Loring park neighborhood. Maybe an elementary school for north loop. Urban farming has good intentions but in my opinion is a terrible idea. The idea that a city needs parking lots to be farms is baffling. Imagine in North loop, or even in places with single family homes having a mini farm next door. They eknt grow enough good and take up space for actual parks or apartments.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 23rd, 2013, 11:06 am

Karen Boros at MinnPost wrote a fairly in-depth piece about the Ward 3 race today. Lots of quotes from Hofstede and Frey.

http://www.minnpost.com/politics-policy ... brant-thir

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » September 23rd, 2013, 11:43 am

After the Red Wedding, I don't think I can vote for a Frey.

MplsSteve
Nicollet Mall

Postby MplsSteve » September 25th, 2013, 7:33 am

After the Red Wedding, I don't think I can vote for a Frey.
What was the "Red Wedding"?

mulad

Postby mulad » September 25th, 2013, 7:45 am

It's a Game of Thrones thing (books and HBO series).

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » October 17th, 2013, 4:35 pm

Diane Hofstede has a billboard on Washington across from the Mill District that highlights, with two bullets:

• 3rd Ward
• DFL Member
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » November 5th, 2013, 9:00 pm

Frey's 61% in the first round carries him over Hofstede.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 5th, 2013, 9:01 pm

Jacob Frey wins with ~61% in the first round. Hooray!
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]