Mayoral Race

Who wanted to be mayor?
MNdible
is great.

Re: 2013 Minneapolis Municipal Election

Postby MNdible » April 12th, 2013, 11:21 am

I'd be mildly surprised if Rybak makes an endorsement, at least while there are still a number of candidates who are all more or less following in his footsteps. Now, if it were a two man race, between, say, Andrews and Schiff, that would be a different matter.

For me, retiring politicians making endorsements always leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's like their last chance to play kingmaker, or cement their legacy. Fraser's endorsement of SSB is a prime example.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 12th, 2013, 11:23 am

It's also possible he could draw an endorsement from Mayor Rybak. Really it comes down to him or Hodges and I can't believe that Rybak wouldn't make an endorsement in this race...just not yet.
Rybak also owes some loyalty to Don Samuels, how has been a strong and consistent supporter while on the council.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 12th, 2013, 11:26 am

Why can't I get excited about any of these candidates?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 12th, 2013, 12:06 pm

Because they're all lame-o.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 12th, 2013, 12:27 pm

This isn't American Idol, folks. We're electing somebody to competently run a Midwestern city of 400,000.

While none of them makes my heart go pitter-patter, I think it's a very high quality slate of candidates.

What's the old chestnut about Democrats needing to fall in love with a candidate?

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 12th, 2013, 1:02 pm

This isn't American Idol, folks. We're electing somebody to competently run a Midwestern city of 400,000.

While none of them makes my heart go pitter-patter, I think it's a very high quality slate of candidates.

What's the old chestnut about Democrats needing to fall in love with a candidate?
Well that's the thing, three or four of them would be just fine but no one stands out, so I'm already imagining myself in the voting booth ranking them based on things like Mark Andrew having two first names.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

HoratioRincewind
City Center

Postby HoratioRincewind » April 12th, 2013, 2:41 pm

"Republicans fall in line, Democrats fall in love"

HoratioRincewind
City Center

Postby HoratioRincewind » April 12th, 2013, 2:41 pm

Well that's the thing, three or four of them would be just fine but no one stands out, so I'm already imagining myself in the voting booth ranking them based on things like Mark Andrew having two first names.
Or having named a company after himself. It's like naming a band after yourself only weenier.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 12th, 2013, 3:38 pm

"Republicans fall in line, Democrats fall in love"
That's it. Fortunately for Cam Winton, it's a very short line in Minneapolis.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 12th, 2013, 9:50 pm

Oh, he's not a republican, he's an 'independent'!

*edit for poor grammar.
Last edited by seanrichardryan on April 13th, 2013, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 13th, 2013, 12:13 am

Riiiight.

Although based on what I've read from the debates, he's probably too moderate to get endorsed by the Republicans.

HoratioRincewind
City Center

Postby HoratioRincewind » April 13th, 2013, 6:59 am

Riiiight.

Although based on what I've read from the debates, he's probably too moderate to get endorsed by the Republicans.
Why do you think that?

gpete
Union Depot

Re: Mayoral Race

Postby gpete » April 16th, 2013, 7:31 am

Does anyone know what Mark Andrew's story is?

I immediately disregarded his candidacy early on; I figured he hadn't been in politics in a while, and his quest was quixotic. But he seems to have a lot of money (tons of emails, mailers, etc) and a surprising amount of support from activists and current and former elected officials.

Does anyone know what's going on behind the scenes? Are there a lot of people who are underwhelmed by Schiff and Hodges? Is that part of what's driving his surge? How is his campaign the most visible campaign for mayor right now?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 16th, 2013, 10:38 am

My 2 cents:

Many candidates may have decided that a DFL endorsement will not happen, and therefore spending money now (early on in the process when DFL caucusers but not the general voting population are paying attention) is not a good use of resources. Mark Andrews is clearly thinking differently, and time will tell who was right.

My sense is that while Andrews didn't have a political job, he was never "out of politics". Clearly, he's got a great rolodex; he came in with a very strong campaign committee that told me that he was for real from day one.

Schiff rubs a lot of people the wrong way (myself included, so take anything I say about him with a grain of salt). I think he and Samuels are too polarizing to win in an IRV landscape.

Hodges comes from a vote and cash rich part of town; I think she'll be very competitive down the stretch.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 30th, 2013, 6:37 pm

Got a letter from Cherryhomes today. She'll be wearing red at the convention.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 30th, 2013, 6:40 pm

Samesies.

I just got a call from a Mark Andrew campaigner who wanted to get off the phone even quicker than I did.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 30th, 2013, 11:31 pm

Ha, I did too. He was ONLY interested in my first and second choice.

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » May 1st, 2013, 9:21 pm

I got a call from Schiff's campaign awhile ago and it was a company making the call.
Got a call from Samuels' campaign the other day and it seemed very scripted and also very "paid," though I didn't ask if it were.

I've gotten personal calls from all of the candidates except Cam and Don.

I have a lot of due diligence left to do. I'm curious to know what everyone's thought on what would qualify someone to be mayor. Want to share your main considerations?

Mine thus far:
- Experience/ability to collaborate, partner, build consensus
- Experience/ability to get results
- Integrity
- Vision
- How they envision the City's role in economic development, infrastructure, land use policy given today's context (i.e. limited funds, local interests, sustainability, etc)

I'm still undecided.

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » May 2nd, 2013, 7:17 am

I got a call from a company working for Mark Andrew. Similar to comments above, there was no interest in discussing anything other than who I plan to support at the City Convention.

I'm still undecided about the candidates, too. I think, given the weak power of the Minneapolis mayor, you need someone who can really rally the public to support ideas, and you need someone who can be a great promoter of our city. Whatever you think about Rybak, he has certainly been a good public face and advocate for Minneapolis.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 2nd, 2013, 8:47 am

Is it still too late for me to file?