Mayoral Race

Who wanted to be mayor?
MNdible
is great.

Re: Mayoral Race

Postby MNdible » October 17th, 2013, 4:00 pm

And, by the way, the City eventually let the retirees keep the money that the pension boards had swindled from tax payers.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » October 17th, 2013, 4:18 pm

Oops, maybe I was thinking of the big state pension cut a couple years back, or one of the multitude of other pension reform plans that involved benefit cuts.
"Who rescued whom!"

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 21st, 2013, 3:13 pm

Betsy Hodges is participating in a "The Theater of Public Policy" (aka T2P2) event at HUGE Improv Theather (3037 Lyndale) on Monday, Oct. 21st.

I'll definitely attend. I love HUGE theater, I'm probably voting for Hodges with my 1st or 2nd choice, and I can walk there. Oh and it's only 5 bucks!

http://www.hugetheater.com/shows/theate ... -policy-2/

Additionally, there's one with Mayor Rybak on Nov. 11th, looking back on his 12 years as Mayor. That one should be fantastic.
This is tonight.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 21st, 2013, 3:29 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 21st, 2013, 4:33 pm

That's from Sept. 21...

But on that note, when is the next campaign finance disclosure? So far there has been only the one in Late August, covered in that MPR story. Is there not another one pre-election? It really seems like there should be more frequent reporting...

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 21st, 2013, 6:07 pm

Ah, showed up in my news feed. I think the next is due just before election day.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » October 23rd, 2013, 6:15 am

former mayor Don Fraser is also supporting Mark Andrew. vote for Mark....i know i am.

it's telling to me that Lisa Goodman is not supporting Betsy Hodges.

has Dan Cohen flushed more of his money down the toilet lately? awesome.

Cam Winton will not be the next mayor of minneapolis but thanks for participating.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 23rd, 2013, 7:25 am

If you didn't read your emails or answer the phone, you may have not known that midnight was the last deadline for the financial report due before election day. Big fundraising push last night.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 23rd, 2013, 7:47 am

That explains the two phone calls I didn't answer from unrecognized numbers around 8 last night.

Ehh, I was busy...watching Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Plus, I've already given to Bender (W10) and Hodges. I'm tapped out.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » October 23rd, 2013, 8:24 am

So, as a former DFL state central committee member I'm getting a lot of pressure to vote for Mark Andrew - he's clearly the established DFL's candidate. I don't disagree with him on major issues and he may actually be the one who, on paper, most matches my views; but he just doesn't seem to capture the spirit of Minneapolis to me; he seems calculating, excessively political, tied to the established interests, and unlikely to put forth the vision I'd like to see for Minneapolis' future.

At the moment I'm thinking Betsy Hodges gets my first vote - I agree with her on most issues too, but she seems more inspiring, more energetic, and willing to do what she thinks is best for the city, rather than what the establishment wants. Don't get me wrong, I know that there's no such thing as a DFL "machine" - there were times I wished there had been as it would have made life easier - but it seems that Betsy has fewer obligations to honor than Mark.

That all said, this is a really tough election. I'm a little concerned too that ultimately it won't matter - the DFL carries a lot of power in Minneapolis, and when they tap a candidate it's pretty tough for that candidate to lose. RT of course broke that, but he also only had one competitor each time. While I think it's likely this election comes down to Betsy and Mark, there's enough confusion that the party establishment has more sway.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 23rd, 2013, 9:06 am

Uh, the Kaplans threw their weight behind RT. There is nothing more 'dfl establishment' than that.

degersblogg
Metrodome

Postby degersblogg » October 26th, 2013, 3:58 pm

The Star Tribune editorial board has announced their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice endorsements for mayor. They endorsed Betsy Hodges #1, Don Samuels #2, and Jackie Cherryhomes #3.

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/edit ... 26721.html

They also screened Mark Andrew, Cam Winton, and Dan Cohen. Regarding Mark Andrew, they said that although he has a lot in common with the editorial board on many issues and was an effective leader in county government, his close ties with teachers, firefighters, and police unions make it unlikely that he would accomplish meaningful reforms. They also criticized him for changing his positions to suit different audiences. Regarding Cam Winton, they said that he is full of energy and new ideas, but they want to see him get more experience in public service before he runs for city-wide office again. Regarding Dan Cohen, they said he's more interested in political rough-and-tumble than in building consensus.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » October 26th, 2013, 4:58 pm

That's probably good for at least a few percent on the 5th.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » October 28th, 2013, 6:26 am

those strib endorsements read like junior high. betsy hodges was really affected by the rodney king incident because she wasn't even in LA at the time? really grasping at anything in her bio to make her seem interesting.

the city doesn't need someone who may or may not "grow" in being the city's cheerleader. we don't need a return to the malaise years of the 90's.

one more week of this stupidity.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 28th, 2013, 8:56 am

It looks like at least my local Senate District Facebook group is falling in line with Andrew, describing Hodges as a union buster. So that's a thing I guess.

degersblogg
Metrodome

Postby degersblogg » October 28th, 2013, 3:35 pm

I find it interesting that the Mark Andrew campaign and Mark supporters don't seem to have a response to the Strib's criticisms regarding Mark changing his campaign message to suit different audiences. Instead, the official campaign line is that Mark is too progressive for the Strib. http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/20 ... ndorsement Also, the union argument is actually a thing. I saw a Mark supporter on Twitter last night have an epic rant trying to use the anti-labor argument in response to a tweet from MinnPost columnist David Brauer. The Twitter account in question has since been deleted.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 30th, 2013, 9:39 pm

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » October 31st, 2013, 11:03 am

I just now opened a letter that came today labeled "IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR MINNEAPOLIS VOTERS."

Oh good, I thought, this is probably another explanation of RCV so people know how to vote. Glad they're sending those out!

It's a f*cking Mark Andrew endorsement letter!

I am really disliking this guy.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » October 31st, 2013, 10:02 pm

I have received SIX pieces of information from Mr Andrew in the last 2 days. I'll bet close to 25 pieces from candidates this week alone. This system of letting half the city run for mayor has made a mockery of our right to vote.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » November 1st, 2013, 9:52 am

a vote for betsy hodges is a vote for a return to the malaise of the sayles belton years. anyone remember how norm coleman was dubbed the "mayor of the twin cities"? RT changed that dynamic.

half of her peers on the city council cannot fathom to support her. and they've been sitting on the same councial dais with her for years. attending meetings with her and working on issues. this whining about mark andrew from her just solidifies my feeling. i can't take 4 years of someone to grow in the job.