Mayoral Race

Who wanted to be mayor?
CRZ
Block E
Posts: 1
Joined: November 6th, 2013, 12:44 pm

Re: Mayoral Race

Postby CRZ » November 6th, 2013, 12:54 pm

Silophant wrote:Minor candidate Zimmerman accepts loss, posts list of regrets.

Not enough :roll: in the world.
Thanks for reading!

Sorry about your rolling eyes.
Christopher Robin Zimmerman
@CRZ
CRZ.net

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 782
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 10:30 am

Re: Mayoral Race

Postby VAStationDude » November 6th, 2013, 12:59 pm

I'm going to go out on a limp and predict Minneapolis will continue to gain significant population while Saint Paul will add very few residents over the next five years.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1377
Joined: June 8th, 2012, 1:39 pm
Location: Nicollet Island

Re: Mayoral Race

Postby lordmoke » November 6th, 2013, 1:23 pm

Hey guys, did you look at the Star Tribune's precinct map? Ole Savior won a precinct. Figure that one out.

widin007
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 147
Joined: November 3rd, 2012, 4:07 pm

Re: Mayoral Race

Postby widin007 » November 6th, 2013, 1:47 pm

The precinct good Ole Savior won though, does anyone even live there? Isn't that just a park?

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1377
Joined: June 8th, 2012, 1:39 pm
Location: Nicollet Island

Re: Mayoral Race

Postby lordmoke » November 6th, 2013, 1:49 pm

The Veterans' Home is there.

garfield
Metrodome
Posts: 54
Joined: June 16th, 2012, 8:31 am

Re: Mayoral Race

Postby garfield » November 7th, 2013, 12:07 am

VAStationDude wrote:Thanks for speaking out Homer you're a courageous man. Your strongly held beliefs, as expressed numerous times on this board, include "government spending is out of control." Like most conservatives you're living in an alternate universe and deserve to have your fee fees hurt. Government spending at all levels has been flat or declining atthe city state and national level. I'm sorry but conservatives are either clueless or dishonest.
I'm late to the conversation, but if these are the facts, please point to the figures that prove government spending at all levels has been flat or declining. If you are going to hurt someone's fee fees, I think that you should at least back up your argument with hard data.

mullen
Foshay Tower
Posts: 986
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 7:02 am

Re: Mayoral Race

Postby mullen » November 7th, 2013, 7:27 am

awesome she likes nascar and runs half marathons. i'm already annoyed and she hasn't even been offically declared the "winner" yet. maybe they'll get to that by next week.

welcome to a return to the malaise years minneapolis. rybak was the perfect mayor for this city and unfortunately anyone following his time in office won't match up.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1553
Joined: September 29th, 2012, 10:41 am

Re: Mayoral Race

Postby talindsay » November 7th, 2013, 8:03 am

mullen wrote:awesome she likes nascar and runs half marathons. i'm already annoyed and she hasn't even been offically declared the "winner" yet. maybe they'll get to that by next week.

welcome to a return to the malaise years minneapolis. rybak was the perfect mayor for this city and unfortunately anyone following his time in office won't match up.
Dude, take it down a notch.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1112
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 8:03 am
Location: Sommerset Knolls

Re: Mayoral Race

Postby mplsjaromir » November 7th, 2013, 8:21 am

garfield wrote: I'm late to the conversation, but if these are the facts, please point to the figures that prove government spending at all levels has been flat or declining. If you are going to hurt someone's fee fees, I think that you should at least back up your argument with hard data.
It seems to check out. At least in comparison to GDP.

Image

I looked at Minneapolis' budget and I saw the city's numbers and looked at the total expense budget:

2010: $1.28 bil
2011: $1.36 bil
2012: $1.22 bil
2013: $1.20 bil
2014 recommended: $1.10 bil

I know the numbers are simplified, but I think they are convincing.

MNdible
is great.
Posts: 5813
Joined: June 8th, 2012, 8:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Mayoral Race

Postby MNdible » November 7th, 2013, 12:11 pm

I know it's a small sample size and all, but I do find it fascinating how different fringe candidates send a whole block of votes to one main stream candidate but not another.

For example, just-eliminated Jeffrey Alan Wagner (he of the walking out of the lake video fame) sent three times as many votes to Andrew as to Hodges. Was Andrew courting the speedo vote?

Viktor Vaughn
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 607
Joined: July 10th, 2012, 6:37 pm

Re: Mayoral Race

Postby Viktor Vaughn » November 7th, 2013, 12:17 pm

MNdible wrote:I know it's a small sample size and all, but I do find it fascinating how different fringe candidates send a whole block of votes to one main stream candidate but not another.
Yeah, I was thinking that same thing. Even with a small sample size it's uncanny. It will be interesting to see how the votes of the more mainstream candidates are reallocated.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1553
Joined: September 29th, 2012, 10:41 am

Re: Mayoral Race

Postby talindsay » November 7th, 2013, 12:40 pm

That's also the reason I was surprised to see Mark Andrew so quick to concede - there's no reason to assume an even distribution of second-choice votes, and order of candidates being dropped combined with strong allegiances in second-choice voting could certainly affect the outcome. If all of Mark's second-choice votes came from Jackie and Don supporters while all of Betsy's came from Mark supporters, it would be possible for the outcome to change - not even vaguely likely, but possible, and we just don't know what kind of strategies people may have be using when they picked their votes.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge
Posts: 7936
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Location: NORI: NOrth of RIchfield

Re: Mayoral Race

Postby mattaudio » November 7th, 2013, 1:20 pm

What happens if all 3rd place votes are exhausted before someone hits the threshold? Then highest vote getter wins?

User avatar
woofner
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1327
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 10:04 am

Re: Mayoral Race

Postby woofner » November 7th, 2013, 1:36 pm

I'm assuming this is Wordpress' fault rather than a conscious decision by the City, but I wish the rounds were posted horizontally rather than vertically. That would make it easier to follow how the totals change with each elimination. I know I can copy & paste, but grumble grumble.

Also, Joel Kramer has a good piece about how the delay is mostly due to stupid wording:

http://www.minnpost.com/politics-policy ... arithmetic

Hopefully that gets fixed along with the filing fee.
"Who rescued whom!"

twincitizen
Moderator
Posts: 6203
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 7:27 pm
Location: Standish-Ericsson

Re: Mayoral Race

Postby twincitizen » November 7th, 2013, 3:05 pm

Viktor Vaughn wrote:
MNdible wrote:I know it's a small sample size and all, but I do find it fascinating how different fringe candidates send a whole block of votes to one main stream candidate but not another.
Yeah, I was thinking that same thing. Even with a small sample size it's uncanny. It will be interesting to see how the votes of the more mainstream candidates are reallocated.
Agreed. It is fascinating.

Jaymie Kelly (Stop Foreclosures Now) was just eliminated.
74 votes to Hodges
32 votes to Doug Mann (no surprise there)
8 votes to Mark Andrew
5 votes to Cam Winton (WHAT?!...that makes no sense)

Silophant
Moderator
Posts: 3824
Joined: June 20th, 2012, 4:33 pm
Location: The Gateway

Re: Mayoral Race

Postby Silophant » November 7th, 2013, 3:19 pm

twincitizen wrote: 5 votes to Cam Winton (WHAT?!...that makes no sense)
It doesn't, but it seems to be more common than you'd think. I kept seeing tweets (retweeted by Hodges' account) over the past few weeks saying that their first choice was Hodges, but their second was Winton. I'm still holding out hope that I'll eventually figure out what the thought process is there.

User avatar
FISHMANPET
IDS Center
Posts: 4602
Joined: June 6th, 2012, 2:19 pm
Location: Corcoran

Re: Mayoral Race

Postby FISHMANPET » November 7th, 2013, 3:27 pm

If you voted for Hodges because of her fiscal sense, and wanted your number two to also have some fiscal sense, and you assume Republicans have fiscal sense...

MNdible
is great.
Posts: 5813
Joined: June 8th, 2012, 8:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Mayoral Race

Postby MNdible » November 7th, 2013, 3:44 pm

FISHMANPET wrote:If you voted for Hodges because of her fiscal sense, and wanted your number two to also have some fiscal sense, and you assume Republicans have fiscal sense...
Yes, there was apparently something of a mutual admiration society between Hodges, Samuels, and Winton at the debates.

I'd appreciate it if the city were to sort their listing it by number of votes, rather than by whatever random order they're using.

Which reminds about my gripe regarding the ballots. I understand why you want somebody different at the top of ballots in different precincts, but once you've done that, couldn't you alphabetize the rest of the list?

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower
Posts: 3935
Joined: June 3rd, 2012, 9:33 pm
Location: Merriam Park, St. Paul
Contact:

Re: Mayoral Race

Postby seanrichardryan » November 7th, 2013, 6:35 pm

Hodges and WInton had this annoying habit of tag teaming and passing each other questions at the debates. Perhaps they had a secret alliance :)
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1553
Joined: September 29th, 2012, 10:41 am

Re: Mayoral Race

Postby talindsay » November 7th, 2013, 6:41 pm

If they listed it by number of votes, the order would have been continually changing. The order they're using - presumably random and possibly the ballot order - has stayed consistent from round to round.


Return to “2013 Minneapolis Municipal Election”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests