Hennepin County Elections: Commissioners & Sheriff

Who wanted to be mayor?
MNdible
is great.

Re: Hennepin County Commissioner - 3rd District ELECTION MAY

Postby MNdible » April 30th, 2014, 9:41 am

I imagine MNdible is thinking of something snotty to say about "urbanists" as he reads this.

Far from it -- some of my favorite people are urbanists, and I consider myself one as well. My only issue is that they, just like any other group, tend to fall victim to the group think/echo chamber problem. Also, the old "when all you have is a hammer" phenomenon.

degersblogg
Metrodome

Re: Hennepin County Commissioner - 3rd District

Postby degersblogg » April 30th, 2014, 1:27 pm

But just to be safe, I hope Schweigert endorses her.
My gut says either Ben endorses Anne or he stays silent.

sad panda
Metrodome

Postby sad panda » May 1st, 2014, 12:24 pm

Good or bad, Mavity has now been endorsed by Dorfman.

degersblogg
Metrodome

Postby degersblogg » May 2nd, 2014, 7:43 pm

Good or bad, Mavity has now been endorsed by Dorfman.
It really shouldn't be any surprise that Dorfman endorsed Mavity. Dorfman and Mavity have been working closely together for years on the issue of homelessness and affordable housing. I wouldn't read too much into it.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 12th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Election is tomorrow. I'm more than a little worried Marion Greene is going to win this thing.

I don't actually have anything against her, I just don't like the (previously mentioned) way the primary turned out. She doesn't have broad support across the district. She and Lisa Goodman and co just turned out an insane amount of voters in a small handful of precincts (Kenwood, Lowry Hill, et al). I do genuinely believe Anne Mavity would be a better representative for the district.

Regardless of who wins, even if Anne eeks it out somehow, I truly hope the winner of this low turnout special election will face a challenger in November. The primary turned out 5.5% of the electorate. I don't anticipate tomorrow will be much better, considering only two weeks have passed and there has been little to no press or broad campaigning. The citizens of District 3 deserve a more public debate on the future of Hennepin County policies. This seat is too important to be decided by an election with ~6% turnout.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 12th, 2014, 5:57 pm

Clearly, the Hennepin County Commissioner is really important, and very few people realize this.

So, will a November election, when this will be at the bottom of the ballot, be a better test? Maybe yes, maybe no. Just because more people will be voting doesn't mean that they're paying attention and know who they're voting for.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 12th, 2014, 8:06 pm

Between the ≈6% turnout tomorrow, and likely ≈60% turnout in November, I'll take my chances than more than one in ten of the latter group will educate themselves about the County Commissioner race. Especially so, given the makeup of the district and lack of anything too exciting happening at the top of the ballot.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 12th, 2014, 9:37 pm

[Shrugs]

Maybe. But even if the number of people who do their research quadruples, they could still be overwhelmed by people who vote for the person with the more Scandinavian name.

I'm not really arguing for anything here, except for maybe the fact that this race will unfortunately not get the attention it deserves in May or November. That, and we need to get rid of a lot of the ridiculous things that do show up on the ballot that even the most dedicated voters can't possibly be expected to be knowledgeable about (judgeships, soil and water, board of estimation).

Also, I'm apparently not as convinced as you are that the races at the top aren't going to more exciting. I feel like Dayton's been fumbling around enough that the GOP should be able to easily put up a credible opponent.

Sara Bergen

Postby Sara Bergen » May 13th, 2014, 7:50 am

Again, putting in a plug for folks to vote for Anne today. I think she has a decent chance of winning this as she is getting support from many of the Schweigert supporters.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 13th, 2014, 8:27 am

Let's hope so. Short of doubling voter turnout in SLP, getting a majority of Ben Schweigert supporters to vote for Anne is a must.

Sara Bergen

Postby Sara Bergen » May 13th, 2014, 10:05 am

For whomever votes, if you could put, in this thread, your polling location (precinct) and the number voter you were, I would be interested in seeing it. Thanks.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 13th, 2014, 10:29 am

For whomever votes, if you could put, in this thread, your polling location (precinct) and the number voter you were, I would be interested in seeing it. Thanks.
#15 and #16 in 10-2.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » May 13th, 2014, 11:04 am

#15 and #16 in 10-2.
So the Republicans were right. There is voter fraud. :D

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 13th, 2014, 3:32 pm

#45 in 7-5
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » May 13th, 2014, 4:23 pm

#15 and #16 in 10-2.
So the Republicans were right. There is voter fraud. :D
Vote early, vote often!

I was number 55 in precinct 7-5. I was also number 55 for the primary, but a little later in the day.

Edit: Looks like I missed Nick by just a bit! Also, I got a call from the Marion Greene campaign asking if I had voted. They didn't ask who I voted for, though... :-/
My flickr photos.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » May 13th, 2014, 6:02 pm

#14 in 7-10 at 6:45pm.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 13th, 2014, 6:20 pm

Honestly this is ridiculous. A polling place rented out, election judges organized and paid, etc.... and you're the 14th person as of 6:45 PM. I'm not sure if the ridiculous part is the low turnout or the lack of consolidated polling places.

sad panda
Metrodome

Postby sad panda » May 13th, 2014, 7:34 pm

Looks like Greene won with 53% of the vote.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 13th, 2014, 7:47 pm

Honestly this is ridiculous. A polling place rented out, election judges organized and paid, etc.... and you're the 14th person as of 6:45 PM. I'm not sure if the ridiculous part is the low turnout or the lack of consolidated polling places.
I got a note after voting (in a room with two precincts in it) that our polling place is moving to a church a few blocks away--so maybe they are consolidating?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]