2014 Precinct Caucuses

Who wanted to be mayor?
David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Precinct Caucuses

Postby David Greene » February 5th, 2014, 3:06 pm

Most of you probably had the problem of not nearly enough attendance, but I had the problem of the process just being absolute chaos, because lots of people didn't understand the language, and fewer still understood the actual process. Add to that some serious cultural differences in what is considered acceptable behavior in a large group (most of the crowd just would not stop talking amongst themselves, no matter how many times they were asked) and it's a recipe for chaos, though I'm not sure what would fix other than something super discriminatory like a knowledge test to get into the caucus.
That sounds just like a typical 10-2 caucus in the Wedge, minus the language issues. Lots of people argue the process and lots of people talk amongst themselves, making the entire process difficult to follow.

degersblogg
Metrodome

Postby degersblogg » February 5th, 2014, 3:36 pm

I live in 7-9, Marion's precinct. She did have a bunch of support. However, she only ended up with two of the three delegates. Mike Erlandson, former DFL party chair, managed to rally together an undecided sub-caucus, and got himself elected as a delegate. There were also Anne and Katie sub-caucuses, but we joined the undecided. In the end, the undecided only had one less person than the Marion sub caucus. Rather surprising, in my opinion. I tried my hardest to get elected as a delegate for the County convention, but with so few delegate spots it makes it impossible for younger or newer people to get involved, as the caucus goers who have been around forever run the show.

I did get elected with no problem to the Mpls and SD61 conventions. Might have a conflict the day of the SD convention, but I am definitely attending the Mpls convention.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 5th, 2014, 9:12 am

So, convention day, at least for some of us. I'm posting on Twitter with hashtag #sd60, if anyone cares