Minneapolis City Politics General Discussion

Elections - City Councils and Commissions - Policies
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Minneapolis City Politics General Discussion

Postby mattaudio » April 4th, 2016, 11:08 am

cano is insufferable. lisa goodman is a rock star council member, has been since she started. Andrew Johnson is insufferable. has he proposed any other name changes for city streets or places? awesome stuff.
This is a joke, right?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 4th, 2016, 11:21 am

There's nothing to do at the city convention this year, except maybe vote to "endorse" an At Large school board candidate.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » April 4th, 2016, 11:41 am

Okay thanks. Just not communication about it, but maybe that is why.

WHS
Landmark Center

Postby WHS » April 10th, 2016, 8:05 pm

Good results at the city convention - should send a pretty strong message to ed reformers trying to muscle in with Bloomberg et al. footing the bill.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 3rd, 2016, 6:39 am

So City Pages published this: http://www.citypages.com/news/alondra-c ... 01-8241043
And the Minneapolis Twitterati collectively responded with this: http://www.questionthepremise.org/new-b ... 2/clueless

Putting aside concerns about City Pages' cheap, yellow journalism (i.e. even if those anonymous quotes are totally fake), the story is not not true. TBH, I was nodding my head while reading through it, as it more or less confirmed exactly what I've been hearing over the past couple of years. Defend Councilmember Cano if you want, but be advised that you're boarding a sinking ship. She has not endeared herself to her colleagues and has accomplished even less. Sure, she's a helpful vote on bike issues and the like, but who from Ward 9 wouldn't be?

She may have a tough road to reelection next year, should a viable challenger emerge. If there is a well-qualified challenger(s) in Ward 9, I would not be surprised if Cano failed to pick up the support of a single one of her City Council colleagues (i.e. they will not be rushing to her defense).

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 3rd, 2016, 6:50 am

True or not (and we have no way of knowing), I'm pretty sure this quote (from the response) is true as well:
If I were to try to come up with a pair of words that best hit the stereotype intersection of sexism and racism, "clueless" and "lazy" would be right up there.
Personally, I feel that Johnson and her clique hitting another councilmember with anonymous, racist hit quotes is probably worse than that councilmember occasionally not having a piece of paper.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 3rd, 2016, 6:56 am

Isn't it a huuuuge stretch that calling someone "lazy" translates directly to "racism!!!!11"? Sure, "lazy" has been widely used as a racist stereotype, but to immediately jump to that conclusion just because she happens to be a minority, is well...lazy.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 3rd, 2016, 8:56 am

While I'm not going to argue that she's in the top tier of effective CMs from a policymaking standpoint - she's an outsider in so many ways so it's not like that's a surprise...

I would argue that there is value to having one or more outspoken people like her pushing the boundaries on issues. She may not be the one writing compromise legislation or lining up the vote count, but she's moving the overton window.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 3rd, 2016, 9:07 am

"Lazy" is THE racist stereotype about Mexicans. I get your point, but I don't think you can ignore the racial connotations of the word, especially when the article specifically highlights her work pushing for racial equity.

I mean, hell, watch the video (2:19 on). I don't see a lazy person who wasn't prepared; at most, I see someone whose staff didn't get her the latest copy of a resolution that clearly had multiple overlapping versions. Several other councilmembers are confused by the language at several points too, including Glidden. But only the Latina gets tarred as "lazy."

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 3rd, 2016, 9:24 am

I've never thought that she was lazy -- just that she's more interested in grandstanding and glad-handing than effectively legislating.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 3rd, 2016, 9:48 am

One person's "grandstanding" is another's agitating. She has in fact moved the conversation and there's good value in that. I'd rather have someone challenging the status quo on behalf of people of color and the poor who maybe doesn't write as much legalese than someone who just goes along to get along.

I'm way more concerned about two councilmembers who publicly trash a colleague, hide behind anonymity and claim to want a "working relationship" with her. It's disingenuous and disrespectful.

Barb Johnson is clearly one of them. This kind of thing is right up her alley. There are I think several candidates for the other.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » May 3rd, 2016, 10:25 am

It's not that being an agitator is bad, but that's all she really seems to do. A councilmember needs to be effective at getting things done as well. Even though we're talking about different governing bodies, I'd point to Phyllis Kahn as a good example of someone who has definitely been an agitator, yet has also accomplished a lot and knows how to work with people when she needs to. And there are other examples out there besides her.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 3rd, 2016, 10:37 am

This. She has accomplished about as much as some random organizer/advocate/agitator person who isn't on the City Council. All while spending a crapload of city money on international travel.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 3rd, 2016, 10:39 am

Given that we're talking about a city council, the main responsibilities of which are to allocate infrastructure money and set police department policy, I'm not entirely sure what you guys think Cano's been ineffective at. Is her ward getting less money than it would otherwise? Would being less outspoken have achieved any of her policing/equity goals any faster? Inquiring minds want to know.

Personally, I'd much rather have a firebrand who doesn't achieve all of her goals than be a go-along guy who doesn't seem to have any goals at all. What are Warsame's accomplishments? Hell, what are Frey's?
Last edited by EOst on May 3rd, 2016, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 3rd, 2016, 10:40 am

The only saving grace here is that it doesn't sound like Ty Moore would have been any better, and would probably have been worse.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 3rd, 2016, 10:42 am

The point is that another council member straight up anonymously "attacked" (I couldn't think of another word) Cano using City Pages.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » May 3rd, 2016, 10:44 am

Less than $10K is a crapload? That would be a pittance in travel expenses in many industries. I believe representation is important, even if it comes at the expense of technical expertise.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » May 3rd, 2016, 12:03 pm

Barb Johnson is clearly one of them.
"I didn't talk to City Pages" is not much of a denial.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » May 3rd, 2016, 12:09 pm

The point is that another council member straight up anonymously "attacked" (I couldn't think of another word) Cano using City Pages.
FWIW, nobody here has defended City Pages, or the council members that spoke with them.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 5th, 2016, 10:39 am

So out of curiosity, how much help has Cano been with this working families agenda? I haven't really seen her putting much work into it, other than "yes this is good" which is kind of way less than I'd expect on something that seems so completely in her wheelhouse.