Metropolitan Council

Elections - City Councils and Commissions - Policies
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Metropolitan Council

Postby mattaudio » October 30th, 2014, 10:58 am

Of course, this is coming from someone at the CAE..
http://www.minnpost.com/community-voice ... egionalism
Ugh
Last edited by mattaudio on January 7th, 2015, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fehler
Rice Park

Re: Met Council

Postby fehler » November 19th, 2014, 11:03 am

Sue Haigh is stepping down as Chair of the Met Council. Opening the floor for screaming nominations in 3, 2, 1...

http://www.minnpost.com/political-agend ... esignation

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 19th, 2014, 11:45 am

I hear there's a pretty strong chance one of the current Met Council reps will become chair.

Realstreets
Nicollet Mall

Postby Realstreets » November 19th, 2014, 12:24 pm

My top choices: Richard Florida, Janette Sadik-Khan, Frank Gehry, Robert Moses' corpse.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » November 19th, 2014, 12:30 pm

Please Dayton, not someone from the suburbs...

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 19th, 2014, 12:42 pm

Would a Gary Cunningham selection put too much power in one household? Or be too Minneapolis-centric?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 19th, 2014, 12:46 pm

acs wrote:Please Dayton, not someone from the suburbs...
Steve Elkins would be a decent choice. He's from Bloomington but definitely leans toward bike/ped/transit. He may not be political enough, however.

Jennifer Munt (Minnetonka) would also be a great choice. She *is* political (AFSCME) and sits on TLC's board, so bike/ped/transit is natural for her. She had a gigantic job steering the SWLRT CAC so she's one who will tackle controversy head-on. Right now, she'd be my preferred choice if it's going to be a current sitting member.

Please, not Harry Melander! He's a union guy who seems to make decisions solely based on how many temporary construction jobs he can manufacture.
Last edited by David Greene on November 19th, 2014, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 19th, 2014, 12:47 pm

MNdible wrote:Would a Gary Cunningham selection put too much power in one household? Or be too Minneapolis-centric?
Yes. However, it would be an interesting counterbalance to the Greater MN-led House and Senate.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » November 19th, 2014, 4:16 pm

David Greene wrote:
MNdible wrote:Would a Gary Cunningham selection put too much power in one household? Or be too Minneapolis-centric?
Yes. However, it would be an interesting counterbalance to the Greater MN-led House and Senate.
Giving him that power would probably be the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of pushing Greater Minnesota and the suburban counties to force serious reform on the Met Council. Almost certainly to the benefit of the suburbs and the harm of the core.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 19th, 2014, 4:25 pm

Speaking of reforms to the Met Council, I'm sure that issue will come up during negotiations over transit funding (the general fund portion that partially funds bus operations). Though with House Republicans essentially swearing off new revenue before the session even begins (for either roads or transit), I'm not sure now is the time for Democrats to "compromise". The time for reforms to the Met Council was in 2013-14, with total DFL control. We could have used Met Council reform as a carrot to get enough votes in the House for the proposed sales tax expansion.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 19th, 2014, 4:28 pm

Speaking of Met Council reform, when I had a meeting with John Quincy a few weeks back, I was surprised to hear that the city's position is that an elected Met Council would be a positive thing for Mpls. He made it sound like it was an official opinion, but I don't know if or how it's a part of the adopted legislative agenda. But fascinating nonetheless.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » November 19th, 2014, 4:38 pm

An elected met council would ensure more progressive council representation during GOP administrations. No more Annette Meeks representing Minneapolis. I don't know how an elected council would affect the overall direction.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 19th, 2014, 4:45 pm

It would be interesting to guesstimate, based on the results of the latest MN House election, what percentage of the Met Council area's population voted for Democrats, and by extrapolation, would be supportive of a more urban/transit focused direction.

Keeping in mind the "wasted votes" in the very heavily Democratic urban districts, it might be a close split.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 19th, 2014, 4:51 pm

I think it would be a net benefit to the core cities. My only concern would be that a Republican gov/leg would push to expand the boundaries of the Met Council to get more GOP voters into the boundaries. The boundaries would need to be very clear from the start, with strict controls to avoid needless expansion.

Elliot Altbaum
City Center

Postby Elliot Altbaum » November 19th, 2014, 7:06 pm

I can't find it now, but Myron Orfield and the Institute on Metropolitan Opportunity did a study to see how a elected council would fare. If I remember right 3 out of the last 5 four year election cycles (not counting this one) would have been DFL controlled and the other to Republican controlled. In both cases with large minority party representation that would maintain continuity.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » November 19th, 2014, 7:22 pm

I can't help but think that the Met Council might be more prone to ticket-splitting than most other races, in which case those numbers might not be entirely accurate.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » November 19th, 2014, 8:41 pm

So you guys really get the sense that an elected Met Council would divide along partisan lines, rather than urban vs. other?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 19th, 2014, 8:57 pm

It's more likely that reform would structure the Met Council as a committee of elected officials, rather than an elected committee of officials. In other words, county commissioners would be Met Council members. That avoids the overhead and expense of another election. Frankly, people are overloaded by the size of the ballot already.

Is that the best way to do it? Probably not, but I just don't see actual Met Council elections happening.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 19th, 2014, 8:59 pm

Nick wrote:So you guys really get the sense that an elected Met Council would divide along partisan lines, rather than urban vs. other?
Right. If there were elections for Met Council members, they would likely be non-partisan, as county elections are today. This is why the metro gets DFL legislators and very conservative county commissioners.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 19th, 2014, 9:00 pm

mattaudio wrote:I think it would be a net benefit to the core cities. My only concern would be that a Republican gov/leg would push to expand the boundaries of the Met Council to get more GOP voters into the boundaries. The boundaries would need to be very clear from the start, with strict controls to avoid needless expansion.
I don't see the current GOP expanding the Met Council's domain as the least bit possible.

A lot of people think the Met Council's domain *should* expand because "the metro" extends beyond the seven county area. It's important to control the sprawl there. Whether than means more seats on the Council is an entirely separate question.

Return to “Local Politics and Governance”