Metropolitan Council

Elections - City Councils and Commissions - Policies
EOst
Capella Tower

Re: Met Council

Postby EOst » November 19th, 2014, 10:01 pm

Nick wrote:So you guys really get the sense that an elected Met Council would divide along partisan lines, rather than urban vs. other?
Wouldn't that effectively be the same thing? The parties are already effectively structured that way. Jeff Johnson was, after all, a non-partisan commissioner too, but no one was confused whether or not he voted for Mitt Romney.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » November 19th, 2014, 10:09 pm

I mean, conversationally, maybe, but when you start thinking about the things the Met Council actually does, it seems farfetched that Average Person in Minnetonka is going to side with Average Person in Minneapolis over Average Person in Maple Grove.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 20th, 2014, 9:44 am

I think it's fairly clear that a growing number of suburbanites (especially those closer in) have realized that they'll sink or swim with the core cities, and that they appreciate things like good transit and a well-governed region. Is it a majority? Depends on which part of the suburbs you're looking at.

To re-frame your situation, I think a better way to ask it is whether Average Person in Bloomington sides more with Average Person in Minneapolis than with Average Person in Lakeville.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » November 20th, 2014, 9:59 am

MNdible wrote:To re-frame your situation, I think a better way to ask it is whether Average Person in Bloomington sides more with Average Person in Minneapolis than with Average Person in Lakeville.
Exactly. The reason Bloomington and Minneapolis tend to produce officials with broadly similar views isn't just because everyone in those cities blindly votes for whatever has a (D) after it, but because those populations have a lot of the same priorities.

Sure, a lot of what the Metropolitan Council does is managerial, and theoretically that shouldn't be political. But that's true of Governors, Mayors, City Council members, and a hundred other officials as well. And many of the things that the Met Council does, especially transit, have very clear partisan divides.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 20th, 2014, 12:26 pm

A democratically elected Met Councilperson would represent more constituents than your state representative and state senator combined, and nearly as many as a Hennepin County Commissioner. This is probably the #1 reason blocking an elected Met Council. It's not that the idea isn't the best option (it might be) or that it doesn't have support from the public (it almost certainly does), it's that your state legislators and local officials at the city and county level don't want to be upstaged.

Either way, there has to be a better way than the status quo where there Met Council functions pretty well internally, but it is constantly under attack from all sides and has its balls cut off in a number of duties it is supposed to perform.

If you could somehow fairly distribute state legislators, or County Commissioners, to have something that is an approximation of representative democracy, that would be ok. Perhaps, if done fairly, it would be preferable to adding another elected layer of government. The vast majority of people could not name their County Commissioner if asked. I'm not entirely convinced that adding another down ballot race is the right answer, but to me, it still looks like the "least wrong" answer on a multiple choice test.

Who knows, maybe an elected Met Council could be the first step toward eliminating the 7 counties in the metro and just having the Met Council handle that business instead. It's definitely worth some thought.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » November 20th, 2014, 12:36 pm

twincitizen wrote:Either way, there has to be a better way than the status quo where there Met Council functions pretty well internally, but it is constantly under attack from all sides and has its balls cut off in a number of duties it is supposed to perform.
Well, yeah, but would an elected council actually change that? Even an elected council would still get the criticism that it was unnecessary/urban-centric/dictatorial/freedom-destroying/etc., there'd just be a different pretext. You wouldn't be disarming the barbarians, you'd just be letting them in the walls.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 22nd, 2014, 9:07 am

Biz Journal has the rundown on who applied to be the new chair and 16 district reps: http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... r-met.html

Just 5 people applied to be chair of the Met Council. And just 35 people total for the 16 districts, some of them with no challengers to the current seat holder, though Governor Dayton can go off-book and appoint others who may not have applied (errr...what?) Every single incumbent re-applied for their seat, including Adam Duininck who also applied to be chair.

I really wish someone had stepped forward in District 8 (currently held by Gary Cunningham, Mayor Hodges' husband). Though I've met Gary and I'm sure he does a fine job, it would be best for Minneapolis and the Met Council to remove any perceived conflict of interest. Especially with the Met Council already under fire from the suburbs, why hand them another easy talking point? Surely there's someone else around that can do the job just as well.

EDIT: This guy applied for District 8, and it appears he does have some credentials: http://www.mhponline.org/about/staff-co ... r-official

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 23rd, 2014, 1:39 pm

They apparently extended the application deadline to Jan. 9, so if you're not thrilled with your representation or are seriously interested (or know someone who'd be great), get those applications in!

http://www.metrocouncil.org/News-Events ... y-Nov.aspx

Also, this is interesting - and will quite possibly have an effect on the choice for Chair:
Nominating Committee
A seven-member nominating committee, which recommends candidates for the Metropolitan Council to the governor, will host public meetings to accept statements from, or on behalf of, applicants for the positions.
Governor Dayton has designated the following citizens to serve on the Metropolitan Council Nominating Committee:
Mary Hamann-Roland – Mayor of Apple Valley
Janet Williams – Mayor of Savage
Scott Lund – Mayor of Fridley
Mary Guiliani Stephens – Mayor of Woodbury
Gail Dorfman – Former Hennepin County Commissioner
Melvin Carter – Former St. Paul City Council member
Will Roach - Director of Business Development at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause, LLP
Applicants selected to be interviewed by the nominating committee will testify at a public meeting. They will receive details on the format in advance of the meeting.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » December 23rd, 2014, 4:35 pm

Kinda bummed none of my adult friends applied for this :(.

Lol @ that nominating committee lineup, though I mean I guess it's more or less proportional.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 24th, 2014, 12:08 am

So now business gets a direct vote on Met Council members? That's completely crazy.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » December 24th, 2014, 11:31 am

http://finance-commerce.com/2014/12/met ... licy-plan/

Oh boy. Looks like they caved to the suburban highway lovers. Where can we write to speak out against this?

MPLS_Dispatch_Guy
Block E

Met Council

Postby MPLS_Dispatch_Guy » December 26th, 2014, 5:35 am

What are the groups thoughts on the Met Council.....Being a resident of East Bethel and with all the nonsense going on up here with the city sewer and water that the Met Council sold to the previous councils have other cities taken their recommendations hook line and sinker like EB did? I know it was sold on the promise that development will come but now we have a nearly 40 million dollar water/sewer system to service basically 1 mile east and west of Hwy 65 the entire length of the city and eventually connect to the houses around Coon Lake and not a stich or sniff of any development coming with it. Evenually those bonds come due and far as can tell the Met Council is not doing anything to help fix the pending budget crisis they helped create.

I know there was a proposed development to get things kick started for about 65 single family homes and several of the business's in the area have connected to the system so they pay some funds towards it but nothing at all coming down the pipe to even attempt to make a noticeable dent in the funds required. What are some of the things we could do to get things moving besides more housing and rooftops that help push the commerical side of development....Also I know the citys leadership has been quite an embarassment to many due to the infighting and other nonsense they have going on amongst themselves.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » December 26th, 2014, 9:20 am

Well the Met Council can't create development, they can only channel it. They are still convinced that suburban sprawl is going to continue, which would explain the expansion of regional sewer lines to the fringe.

In any case, this problem sounds like it was created more by the local government than the council. The city is responsible for drawing up the comp plan and other fun stuff like that. The council is a facilitator in these matters and only tries to keep things in line, perhaps a look at the Lake Elmo case would be a good read.

The specific problem with East Bethel that stands out is location. A lot of people who are commuting to the north metro suburbs (10/610/694 corridors) are going to want to live in closer proximity. I think that there would be even fewer downtown commuters from up there, but I suppose the express bus to Minneapolis exists now. It's hard to gauge what kind of housing development could happen, single family housing is only possible picking up a little bit of steam.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » December 26th, 2014, 4:31 pm

East Bethel is a great case study of why it was a huge mistake to allow discontinuous segments of MUSA (Metro Urban Services Area; i.e. the parts of the region that are connected to the regional wastewater system). If the MUSA ran through Ham Lake contiguously, East Bethel could have been connected to regional wastewater and wouldn't have to build their own system (this was the whole reason for the Met Council and keeping sewer rates low is probably their most successful achievement). That said, I would have thought the impetus for creating the MUSA exclave here would have come from the city of East Bethel itself. Dispatch Guy, where did you hear that this was forced onto East Bethel?

Now, I could see the Met Council forcing the wastewater system on East Bethel after the city decided they wanted development. Septic is of course a heinous method of treating wastewater. Residential septic has an enormous failure rate, and many systems do nothing more but inject effluent into aquifers. Also, I seem to recall that East Bethel has more industrial development than many other segments of Hwy 65, and you don't really want industrial uses to handle their own wastewater.
"Who rescued whom!"

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 16th, 2015, 9:31 am

FYI, if you live in Met Council districts 9-13, today is the deadline to apply for appointment to the Transportation Advisory Board.

Districts 9-13 (seats E, F, G, H are open) includes St. Paul, as well as Pizza Ranches in Andover, Elk River, Maplewood, Apple Valley, and Lakeville.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » January 16th, 2015, 11:50 am

http://www.startribune.com/local/south/288834751.html

Holy crap the suburban republicans are going to be pissed at this. Bold move by Dayton. Can we already chalk this one up as a victory for urbanism?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 16th, 2015, 11:53 am

Just saw that myself. His Facebook Cover Photo is of a bike. Yeah this feels pretty crazy, in a great way.
Peter Bajurny
peter@bajurny.us
@FISHMANPET
612-208-6618

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 16th, 2015, 1:07 pm

The comments on that article are delicious.

WHS
Landmark Center

Postby WHS » January 19th, 2015, 12:33 pm

Appointing a central city politician (not to mention a guy who worked on your campaign and is the husband of your chief of staff) to head up the Met Council that's already hamstrung by lack of cooperation from the suburbs?

Not sure I agree this is such a great move, guys. It doesn't matter what Duininck thinks if no one wants to work with him.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 11th, 2015, 2:01 pm

http://www.minnpost.com/politics-policy ... et-council

As expected, Republicans in the Minnesota Legislature have filed a handful of bills this year to “rein in” the Metropolitan Council, the body that oversees regional transit and planning in the Twin Cities.

Less expected: that the co-sponsors for at least one of the bills are Democrats.

Return to “Local Politics and Governance”