Metropolitan Council

Elections - City Councils and Commissions - Policies
David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Met Council

Postby David Greene » February 11th, 2015, 11:16 pm

mattaudio wrote:Less expected: that the co-sponsors for at least one of the bills are Democrats.
Your mistake is in assuming the DFL is pro-city and pro-regionalism.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 11th, 2015, 11:52 pm

That was a copy and paste of the lede, not my take.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » February 12th, 2015, 10:40 am

The bills the DFL are co-sponsoring are the ones that would give local elected officials consent/veto power over the Governor's Met Council picks. I have no idea how that would work in real life. But had this been in place, I doubt Annette Meeks would have served long as Pawlenty's 7th District Met Council representative, which includes North, Central, Downtown, Phillips, Whittier, and Kingfield neighborhoods of Minneapolis and Robbinsdale.

Or my representative in the 8th District, Lynette Wittsack, whose primary qualification is "married to Mark Stenglein". Oh, and happens to be a Republician in Minneapolis: http://www.senate.leg.state.mn.us/confi ... ynette.PDF

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 23rd, 2015, 11:37 am

Dayton picks...
District 4: Deb Barber, to replace Gary Van Eyll
District 6: Gail Dorfman, to replace Jim Brimeyer
District 8: Cara Letofsy, to Duinick's now-vacant position
http://www.minnpost.com/political-agend ... appointees

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » February 23rd, 2015, 11:57 am

fehler wrote:The bills the DFL are co-sponsoring are the ones that would give local elected officials consent/veto power over the Governor's Met Council picks. I have no idea how that would work in real life. But had this been in place, I doubt Annette Meeks would have served long as Pawlenty's 7th District Met Council representative, which includes North, Central, Downtown, Phillips, Whittier, and Kingfield neighborhoods of Minneapolis and Robbinsdale.

Or my representative in the 8th District, Lynette Wittsack, whose primary qualification is "married to Mark Stenglein". Oh, and happens to be a Republician in Minneapolis: http://www.senate.leg.state.mn.us/confi ... ynette.PDF
Wait, her qualifications were "clipping coupons to live within [her] means" ???

Well golly, no wonder the met council makes such solid planning decisions. It's been a while since I've seen a buy one get one free light rail line coupon, though.
Then again being a stay-at-home mom might have helped her babysit the other members during the Pawlenty years.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 23rd, 2015, 12:12 pm

mattaudio wrote:District 6: Gail Dorfman, to replace Jim Brimeyer
Really glad to see this. Dorfman has a solid understanding of both urban and (inner) suburban needs. Brimeyer struck me as much more suburb-focused.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 23rd, 2015, 12:20 pm

He might be a stand-up guy and expert on the issues, but I was really hoping Gary Cunningham would be replaced. I mean, c'mon dude you're married to the Mayor of Minneapolis. Even the perception of conflict of interest is simply too much. It really does not help with the whole urban vs. suburban dialogue nor with the ongoing calls for Met Council reform.

One of my biggest beefs with Dayton on urban/metro issues is that he has largely filled the Met Council with DFL/union cronies with long resumes of insider-y stuff. It would be nice to see at least a few non-political appointees to the council, but I guess it's pretty tough to get name recognition unless you're already a DFL insider or married to one.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 23rd, 2015, 12:25 pm

My main gripe with how Dayton has operated, especially in this second term: We get all of the antagonism towards suburban areas and backlash towards urban areas, with few results in return. If we're going to piss people off, let's get more for it.

It's amazing how our Windshield Mentality governor is building resentment among the red districts without substantial benefit for the blue core, at least in terms of transportation and land use.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 23rd, 2015, 2:57 pm

twincitizen wrote:One of my biggest beefs with Dayton on urban/metro issues is that he has largely filled the Met Council with DFL/union cronies with long resumes of insider-y stuff.
What's odd is that his first appointments to the Council were much less so. Sure, Harry Melander and the like were political rewards but there were some truly independent-minded people appointed such as Steve Elkins. I don't know why Dayton has regressed on this because your analysis is spot on.

Dayton was far too sheltered in his first term, blowing off collaboration with the legislature because I Am The Governor. This term he seems to be over-compensating and pandering far too much to the DFL establishment, Bakk notwithstanding.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » February 24th, 2015, 9:32 am

I'm pleased with this list: I don't know Deb Barber, but Gail Dorfman has generally impressed me with her urban thinking despite having represented a fairly suburban district on the HC board. I know Cara Letofsky very well - I was on her campaign committee for her (unsuccessful) bid for Ward 2 councilmember back in 2005. She's very knowledgeable about the wonky intricacies and details of public policy; she's the sort of person I would hope the unelected Met Council would be filled with - somebody who knows the details and is interested in the technicalities, not somebody who puts a lot of energy into creating a public persona for electoral success.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 24th, 2015, 10:01 am

True. That's my take as well. On the surface, it appears that Dayton has appointed insiders, and could be accused of paying excessive political patronage. Yet, at the same time, the "insiders" he's appointed are indeed quite qualified and wonky. And they're (relative) outsiders to campaign politics, which likely contributes to their (relative) lack of name recognition and thus the perception that this is merely political payback.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 2nd, 2015, 3:24 pm

http://post.mnsun.com/2015/03/kolb-slavik-testify/
On Feb. 25, Crystal City Councilmember Jeff Kolb and Plymouth Mayor Kelli Slavik both spoke at an informational hearing on H.F. 75, a bill that would declare the Met Council’s plans “advisory” and not require local governments to conform to it. The hearing was conducted by the house’s newly-formed Subcommittee on Metropolitan Council Accountability and Transparency.

Bill author Linda Runbeck (R-Circle Pines) said her legislation was created, “in response to a growing chorus of concern about the prescriptive nature and the growing expansion of authority that the Met Council has over our cities and counties in the metro area.”

Met Council spokesperson Bonnie Kollodge said that Runbeck’s bill would lessen the council’s ability to effectively avoid duplication of services and create economies of scale in the Twin Cities.

It's crazy how solidly-DFL inner suburbs (at the state/federal level) wind up with conservative city councilmembers. It's actually not that uncommon though. Kolb in this instance, plus there were a number of folks that ran & won in 2010, inspired to run for office by the national Tea Party momentum that year. I can't think of a whole bunch off the top of my head, but for sure West St. Paul, South St. Paul, etc. have seen conservative city councilors or mayors in recent years, despite being solidly DFL-leaning areas.

Solid article though for a local paper. Excellent quotes from the Met Council spokesperson. Way to stand up for regional governance! Bravo Bonnie Kollodge!
Kollodge also pointed to “What happens when a metropolitan area has way too many governments,” a Washington Post opinion piece that argues for regional cooperation when developing urban areas.

There, author Emily Badger cites a report from the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, which claims that when the number of municipalities per 100,000 residents is doubled, regional labor productivity falls by “5 to 6 percent.”

“In short: the more little governments you have, the less productive the entire local economy is,” Badger writes. “The larger problem is that local economies – and, relatedly, commuting patterns – don’t stop at municipal borders. And when we carve up services and public resources that way, we effectively undermine those economies.”

Anondson
Capella Tower

Met Council

Postby Anondson » April 6th, 2015, 10:07 pm

Four counties are going to lobby the federal government to come in and change the Met Council to be more elected.

http://www.startribune.com/local/298845141.html

And Dayton is reallllly pissed about it.

xanadu
Block E

Re: Public Transit News and Happenings

Postby xanadu » April 7th, 2015, 6:42 am

4 suburban counties hire federal help to upend Met Council
http://www.startribune.com/local/298845141.html
The counties say they have been particularly riled since seeing how the Met Council planned on scoring transit projects with weights given to nonmotorized transportation modes and to concentrated areas of poverty — issues that county officials say do not reflect suburban problems such as congested intersections.
Ugh, God forbid we do something to help the poor rather than add another 9 lane stroad to Eagan. :roll: The counties involved here are Anoka, Carver, Scott and Dakota.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » April 7th, 2015, 6:47 am

Is it too late to go scorched earth on them like he did on the park board and just cut them off from the public money teat they suckle so vigorously from? Don't Hennepin and Ramsey pay most of the way anyway?

QuietBlue
Union Depot

Re: Metropolitan Council

Postby QuietBlue » April 7th, 2015, 7:52 am

trigonalmayhem wrote:Is it too late to go scorched earth on them like he did on the park board and just cut them off from the public money teat they suckle so vigorously from? Don't Hennepin and Ramsey pay most of the way anyway?
The DFL is trying to gain legislative seats in the suburbs, not lose them.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 7th, 2015, 8:02 am

From a good/efficient governance standpoint, the best case scenario out of this is that we eliminate the 7 counties and elect the Met Council instead.

Of course, that isn't the best political result for the core cities, as "Metropolitan County" would be further towards the center than Hennepin County is today. Overall it would still be solidly left of center though, and immune from future Republican Governors. Region-wide, the balance of power would likely be held in the 1st & 2nd ring suburbs.

From Nick's most excellent (and unfortunately under-appreciated) streets.mn post, there are approximately 2.95MM people in "Metropolitan County" (2013). Of that, Minneapolis and St. Paul make up 700,000, or less than 25%. Mpls-StP and "urban" suburbs make up just over 1MM. While the 7-county metro area is now very solidly DFL, except around the less-populated fringes, it is also very solidly suburban, with two-thirds of its residents living in 2nd ring, 3rd ring, exurban and rural areas.

Tiller
US Bank Plaza

Re: Public Transit News and Happenings

Postby Tiller » April 7th, 2015, 2:26 pm

4 suburban counties hire federal help to upend Met Council
Looks like they've decided what they want to spend their CTIB funds on :roll:

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 7th, 2015, 2:30 pm

Personally, as a taxpayer in a county that has a significant amount of non-auto-oriented development, I'm not eager to see Municipal County. I don't want to bail out CWADS when SHTF regarding our land use pattern and the growth ponzi scheme. I don't really see what's in it for the urban areas. If we have a blue "urbanized/walkable" county (per Nick's map), that would be ideal. But probably not going to happen.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 7th, 2015, 3:28 pm

The fact that Hennepin County has the largest most populated densest (well, probably densest) city in the state, and also farmland, is something I feel weird about.
Peter Bajurny
peter@bajurny.us
@FISHMANPET
612-208-6618

Return to “Local Politics and Governance”