Metropolitan Council

Elections - City Councils and Commissions - Policies
MNdible
is great.

Re: Metropolitan Council

Postby MNdible » April 13th, 2016, 12:25 pm

I'd agree that it would be great to understand these things better, and I suspect that you're right, that Minneapolis is probably at some not-insignificant level subsidizing the exurbs. I even agree with the Strong Towns argument that the infrastructure required to support the low density exurban development makes them financially unsustainable. On the other hand, I think it's unrealistic to be able to come up with a system that accurately reflects the real cost of one sewer hook-up vs. another. Given that, a system that somewhat crudely allocates these costs to those adding new demand is better than the other realistic alternative, which would be just to roll these costs into everybody's property tax bills.

Beyond that, there are so many variables involved that I don't even know how to consider an answer to the questions you're posing. If we believe the history that's been laid out above, then much of the sanitary sewer pipes were separated out in the 60's and 70's (and some even more recently than that, because this issue is still in the news), so it's not necessarily safe to say they were sized for a much bigger city. How much water does a family use now as compared to previously? How much of the cost of new sewer pipes is borne by the developer vs. the municipality vs. the Met Council? How much demand does industry create, vs. a restaurant, vs. a SFH?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 13th, 2016, 12:35 pm

Thinking back to how I usually feel for a couple days after eating at Gandhi Mahal, I think they (indirectly) make a lot of sewage

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » April 27th, 2016, 2:50 pm

EOst wrote:Thinking back to how I usually feel for a couple days after eating at Gandhi Mahal, I think they (indirectly) make a lot of sewage
+l

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 11th, 2016, 7:16 am

It sounds like, if a transportation bill is passed at all, at a minimum it will include some modest Met Council reforms, which could include staggered terms and more elected official representation on the nominating committees. Those are the reforms supported by the Citizens League and the DFL. Republicans of course are still trying to stick County Commissioners and Mayors on the council itself, which would be horribly undemocratic.

The modest reforms even picked up a few Republican votes in the Senate, but still faces an uphill battle in the GOP-led House.
http://www.startribune.com/senate-passe ... 378904101/

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 11th, 2016, 7:21 am

Those changes sound reasonable, especially staggered terms so the whole thing doesn't collapse at once when we wind up electing an anti-metro governor.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 11th, 2016, 8:55 am

Yeah, you can hardly get less democratic than a system in which Annette Meeks was representing Minneapolis.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 11th, 2016, 9:01 am

The whole idea of district "representatives" on the Met Council is just idiotic. This is a regional governing body. What does "representation" of individual districts have to do with anything? They should all be at-large seats.

Staff members could be assigned to districts as points-of-contact for local elected officials and residents. Then inquiries and requests could be funneled to the appropriate members based on committee assignment, etc. Of course Council members could still be contacted directly, there just wouldn't be this sham notion that they put the interests of your district above all others.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 11th, 2016, 9:06 am

Whatever happens, we need to make sure that individual city councils or mayors don't have equal power, as was proposed last year with the "veto authority reform." That's even *less* democratic than the status quo, since Lilydale would have veto authority over St. Paul and St. Anthony would have veto authority over Minneapolis.

Anondson
Capella Tower

Metropolitan Council

Postby Anondson » November 10th, 2016, 3:46 pm

Open seats in advisory boards with terms starting in January 2017.

https://metrocouncil.org/News-Events/Co ... tan-C.aspx

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 11th, 2016, 9:41 am

Hypothetically, if Republicans take the governorship and maintain their hold on both houses, how likely is it they would abolish the Met Council?

I think it's unlikely but that they would push through a change to have elected officials (mayors, county commissioners) make up the council. I don't think there's anything the DFL could do to stop it.

Anondson
Capella Tower

Postby Anondson » November 11th, 2016, 2:02 pm

What percentage of the seats on the council are political appointees? The GOP may appreciate controlling Met Council to keep a thumb on Hennepin and Ramsey counties over taking a baseball bat to the whole thing and setting Hennepin and Ramsey free.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 11th, 2016, 3:05 pm

100%. They're all appointed by the Governor. Hence why the Met Council will never go away, IMO. The GOP hates it when they don't have the Governor's office, but is just fine with it when it's their guys. Like most governmental units, really.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » November 14th, 2016, 12:59 pm

I'll also note that the Met Council even functioned reasonably well under Pawlenty, who put in a few contrarians but mostly kept it running along, doing its job.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 30th, 2017, 11:51 am

I saw this a week or two ago but haven't seen it on the forum. TAB selections from the 2016 Regional Solicitation.
https://metrocouncil.org/Transportation ... jects.aspx
Regional A.F.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 30th, 2017, 12:28 pm

Matt, any idea what the 46th Street Pedestrian Improvements project refers to?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 30th, 2017, 3:03 pm

Is there a version of this TAB list split out by year? This solicitation covers years 2017-2021 or something, right?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 6th, 2017, 9:50 am

http://www.startribune.com/for-fledglin ... 412753213/
"The SAC is the bane of the small independent restaurateurs who have opened new places over the last decade"

What a mess. But, Regional AF.

Vagueperson
Landmark Center

Postby Vagueperson » March 24th, 2017, 4:09 pm

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » June 27th, 2017, 7:30 pm

https://www.startribune.com/chairman-ad ... 431119133/

Adam Duinick to resign, to pursue a new "professional opportunity" (leading a union). Alene Tchourumoff appointed as replacement.

Bakken2016
Union Depot

Postby Bakken2016 » March 30th, 2018, 10:23 am

SF 2809 has been making its way through the MN Senate to modify it from being appointed to elected. Thoughts?

Return to “Local Politics and Governance”