MN House of Representatives 60B

Elections - City Councils and Commissions - Policies
David Greene
IDS Center

MN House of Representatives 60B

Postby David Greene » October 6th, 2015, 9:54 am

Ilhan Omar has announced for 60B. She's got several metric craploads of social justice folks behind her. She poses a serious threat to Phyllis Kahn. I'm really excited by this but also admit to being somewhat conflicted. I don't always agree with Kahn but she has been one of the more outspoken legislators for justice on a number of issues.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Re: Race for 60B

Postby FISHMANPET » October 6th, 2015, 9:58 am

I'm ready for Khan to put another notch in her belt.

Every time people have tried to run against Khan they've made the case about why they'd be a good representative. But nobody's made the case of why they would be better than Khan. You aren't running against some no-name Republican with no history, you're running against Phyllis fucking Khan.

Sad I'm not in the district anymore, but relieved I won't be in any way tempted to waste an entire day of my life at a district caucus.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 6th, 2015, 10:35 am

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » October 6th, 2015, 10:37 am

Too easy.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 6th, 2015, 10:43 am

You may remember Ilhan Omar as the woman who was assaulted at the DFL caucus last go-around. She was (is?) senate district co-chair, and Kahn supporters accused her of secretly working to undermine Kahn/elect Noor, which of course she denies.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 6th, 2015, 12:13 pm

She's worked for Andrew Johnson's office for his entire term. She's good people. Time for younger folks to replace Kahn.

twincitizen

Re: MN House of Representatives 60B

Postby twincitizen » October 8th, 2015, 8:08 am

Noor is running again too. That's interesting. One of Noor or Omar will obviously have to drop out if they hope to deny Kahn the DFL endorsement

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 8th, 2015, 8:23 am

(expanding this to other local house races)

I've heard Jean Wagenius isn't planning to run again in 16 (63B). I know a few names interested in that seat, at least one of which I don't want to see get the nomination. So we'll see how this one unfolds.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 8th, 2015, 8:34 am

Noor is running again too. That's interesting. One of Noor or Omar will obviously have to drop out if they hope to deny Kahn the DFL endorsement
Not that it wasn't in the bag for Khan before, but now it's really in the bag. This is gonna be a no endorsement convention (that lasts aaaaaaaal day long) with a landslide primary victory for Khan. I don't know why anybody thinks anybody has a chance against her.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 8th, 2015, 8:54 am

What's Khan's appeal?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » October 8th, 2015, 9:01 am

Kahn. Kahn.

I don't know if people are making intentional digs, but if so please be respectful.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 8th, 2015, 9:03 am

Seniority, experience, a strong science background. I'm not saying she's perfect, but she has the same ideals and values as these challengers, except she has the clout and experience (and positions on important committees, due to her seniority) to actually make legislative progress on those issues, rather than just make impassioned speeches.

I would love to have a Somali rep in the house for the sake of having a Somali rep, but not at the expense of someone who is, all told, still a very good legislator.

Sent from my phone

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » October 8th, 2015, 9:14 am

What's Khan's appeal?
The fact that she's worked on various justice issues her entire career?

The fact that she's a real scientist in the legislature?

Do not dismiss the accomplishments of Phyllis Kahn.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 8th, 2015, 9:21 am

She's not some little old lady slowly decaying in her seat. She is still doing good work.

For what it's worth, I've never been able to figure out where any of her challengers stand on... Pretty much anything. They run their race like it's the general in November against some generic Republican so they just espouse generic liberal values but Phyllis has those some values, she's had them since before any of her challengers were alive, and after 40 or 50 years she's much better at turning them into policy than any of these kids.

Sent from my phone

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 8th, 2015, 9:33 am

Just to be a contrarian, for somebody who's been around as long as she has, and who has as much seniority as she does, she's surprisingly ineffective.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 8th, 2015, 9:45 am

She's also one of the strongest cycling advocates in the legislature. Who knows what her opponents think of that.

(It seems to me that it would also be a little cruel to kick Kahn out after 46 years the year after her husband passed away.)

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 8th, 2015, 9:59 am

This piece ranking the legislators is already six years old, but in a sign of how safe Minneapolis and St. Paul seats are, and in spite of a wave of retirements, many of the names are still around.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 8th, 2015, 10:09 am

Just to be a contrarian, for somebody who's been around as long as she has, and who has as much seniority as she does, she's surprisingly ineffective.
Does anyone think that Griffin, Noor, or Omar would have been moreeffective?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 8th, 2015, 10:12 am

To be clear, I wasn't suggesting that -- and it's not my district, so I really don't know the first thing about any of the challengers.

But I'm pretty sure that Kahn will be best remembered for her very clever floor speeches, not for the legislation she passed.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 8th, 2015, 12:19 pm

I've felt that way about her, well, except the surprising part because some of that is ideological differences, but I still wouldn't trade her for someone younger without that experience.

Of course, I don't live in the district.