MN House of Representatives 60B

Elections - City Councils and Commissions - Policies
twincitizen

Re: MN House of Representatives 60B

Postby twincitizen » October 8th, 2015, 2:26 pm

To be clear, I wasn't suggesting that -- and it's not my district, so I really don't know the first thing about any of the challengers.

But I'm pretty sure that Kahn will be best remembered for her very clever floor speeches, not for the legislation she passed.
This may be true of her late career, but do we assume it to be true of her first several decades in office as well?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Re: MN State Senate and House Elections 2016

Postby FISHMANPET » April 4th, 2016, 7:30 am

http://www.mndaily.com/news/metro-state ... T0.twitter

So apparently Kahn has two challengers this year? She's already beaten Noor before, and based on a few words I read of his after precinct caucuses I wonder if he's just trying to split the "Not Kahn" vote so she ends up winning.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 10th, 2016, 6:08 am

No endorsement, primary looming. Kahn had declared that she would drop out if the DFL caucus gave Omar (or Noor) an endorsement, but Omar couldn't get to 60% because Noor's people voted "no endorsement" when he was forced to drop out. http://www.startribune.com/dfl-caucus-t ... 375132011/

I really don't understand the Kahn hate/Omar love. I don't see a single issue on Omar's campaign website that Kahn hasn't advocated for years. Omar's message seems to be basically that "the people who've been in the Legislature for a long time are out of touch," but it's hard to think of a legislator to whom that applies less than Kahn--especially when people like Jeff Hayden are running unopposed.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » April 10th, 2016, 8:13 am

Sounds like the electoral zeitgeist to me. If Jeff Hayden is as out of touch as you imply, then he'll probably be primaried next.

How did things go for Chris Meyer?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 10th, 2016, 9:52 am

I moved out of sd60, but if I hadn't, I would have been caucusing for Kahn, because like the last 2 endorsement challengers, I haven't seen a compelling reason why the challenger is better than Kahn. They keep running against some generic Republican that basically doesn't exist in that district.

Also curious about Chris, his Facebook is silent.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 10th, 2016, 2:16 pm

I saw one tweet which said Kari Dziedzic was nominated "unanimously", and other which said "first ballot". Either way, it doesn't appear the Meyer campaign got any traction. When the greatest/only criticism of a first-term incumbent is "they haven't done anything", you're going to have a tough time, as nobody is likely to have any kind of negative opinion of that incumbent.

As for 60B, I truly don't get the Noor thing. He has to be in cahoots with Phillys Kahn / Brian Rice, right? Why would he block Omar's endorsement? He not only has zero chance in the primary, but must be persona non grata in the party at this point, right?

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » April 10th, 2016, 8:50 pm

I'm glad I'm not alone on the Omar/ Kahn issue. All of my social justice/ activist friends are on the Omar bandwagon and I cannot for the life of me figure out why Kahn is their target for all this. Her record is great. I haven't even been able to discern any concrete critiques of her from them. It's basically all, "she's been in office too long" and "there need to be more people of color in the legislature," both of which are valid/ true statements, but neither of which are good enough reason to unseat an experienced incumbent with a good track record in favor of an untested newcomer. She's probably going to retire in a couple terms anyway, so why no just wait?

Mcgizz
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mcgizz » April 10th, 2016, 10:43 pm

Phyllis Kahn is out of touch and past her effective date. She is arrogant and emotionless. Two years ago when violence broke out at the DFL caucus for this district she claimed
"I participated in the process when it was much more unfriendly to women than that,” Kahn said, describing a time she said she got the equivalent of a death threat. “Once that has happened, what’s a punch?”
https://www.minnpost.com/politics-polic ... ucus-brawl

Minimalizing the violence showed she didn't care about this women's life. Her one-upmanship just shows how out of touch she is. Yes she wants to repeal the Sunday liquor sale ban, yes she has worked hard for equal pay and upping the minimum wage, and yes she has done more in this state for higher education than most, but she has simply lost the plot. Just about anyone elected to represent this district will do the same. It is probably the most liberal district in the state.

I think she has done some good things in the years she has been the representative of this district, but she sticks her foot in her mouth and says things elected officials shouldn't.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 10th, 2016, 11:24 pm

It takes more than values to legislate, would someone else be as effective at actually passing legislation without her seniority or existing relationships?

Honestly, Kahn says some pretty stupid things sometimes, but I think that's just standard foot in mouth disease and not some latent disrespect for whatever.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 11th, 2016, 9:06 am

All of my social justice/ activist friends are on the Omar bandwagon and I cannot for the life of me figure out why Kahn is their target for all this.
You've noticed she's white, haven't you? Identity politics is where it's at, man.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 11th, 2016, 9:18 am

I moved out of sd60, but if I hadn't, I would have been caucusing for Kahn
Well of course you would. Kahn represents you. But she doesn't represent the Somali and immigrant communities. Is it really so hard to understand the attraction of being represented by someone who knows and shares your experience?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 11th, 2016, 9:26 am

Phyllis Kahn is out of touch and past her effective date. She is arrogant and emotionless. Two years ago when violence broke out at the DFL caucus for this district she claimed
P. sure this one goes into the record book for "tendentious arguments."
You've noticed she's white, haven't you? Identity politics is where it's at, man.
The fact that she's young probably has as much to do with her support as her ethnicity. Bernie aside, there seems to be an attitude among a lot of people that old always == out of touch, all other things being equal.

I wonder how this will play out in the primary. I suspect that Noor's best shot was in the caucus; she clearly has a core band of devoted followers, but demographically they tend to vote in smaller numbers, and the primary will be held before the U is back from summer break, which should depress turnout further.
Well of course you would. Kahn represents you. But she doesn't represent the Somali and immigrant communities. Is it really so hard to understand the attraction of being represented by someone who knows and shares your experience?
Probably a bad sign in the long run if voters feel that the only way they can be represented is to vote in someone of the same ethnic group.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 11th, 2016, 9:40 am

All of my social justice/ activist friends are on the Omar bandwagon and I cannot for the life of me figure out why Kahn is their target for all this.
Or, you know, relating to someone who shares your experience over someone who doesn't that has patronized and belittled you.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 11th, 2016, 9:44 am

Probably a bad sign in the long run if voters feel that the only way they can be represented is to vote in someone of the same ethnic group.
AND EXPERIENCE. This kind of dismissal of entire groups is exactly why Kahn has lost support.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » April 20th, 2016, 8:24 am

Kahn has worn her feminism as a badge for decades. Yet, when asked why Omar beat her, Kahn said it was because Omar was younger, prettier and nicer than she is. Not that Omar is smart, or well spoken, or even that Omar might better represent the people of the diverse district.

Prettier. Younger. Nicer. If a man had said that, he would be labeled a sexist pig, and rightfully so. I told Kahn it was hard to believe that as a young woman she would have appreciated such a derogatory comment from an opponent.

“What I said about my opponent was true,” Kahn said. “No one has ever said I was pretty, or nice. They have never, ever said that about me.”

Kahn said she would embrace such compliments, should they ever come.

So here it is: Phyllis, you are beautiful. You are crazy smart. You are, in my limited experience, capable of being nice.

Now hit the road.
http://m.startribune.com/khan-s-four-de ... 376102861/

Being an outsider (other side of the metro area) looking in, this definitely looks like a microcosm of today's politics.

What're the next steps in the primary process, since there was no endorsement at the state senate district convention? Is there a special date that a primary election will be held?

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » April 20th, 2016, 9:03 am

The next step is the primary election on August 9th.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 1st, 2016, 11:56 am

Has anyone gotten to the bottom of why Noor is running? (i.e. why is he so determined to help Phyllis Kahn defeat Ilhan Omar?)

He either has an ego that could fill a room (somehow thinking he has a chance to win because of his strong showing in 2014, despite coming in dead last for the DFL endorsement this time around)
or
He's in cahoots with Kahn to split the Somali vote, making Kahn very likely to win (i.e. every vote for Noor is one less vote for Omar)

Which is more likely?

I mean, at the end of the day, Noor doesn't "owe" anything to Ilhan Omar, but it seems pretty clear that they want the exact same thing (no more Kahn), and following the endorsement deadlock, Omar was in a far stronger position to make that happen in 2016...except for Noor staying in the race. So WTF is Noor's deal?

*Note: Personally, I'm 100% neutral on this race. I just want to know what the hell Noor thinks he's doing here...

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » August 1st, 2016, 12:44 pm

Some other strange things in this race:

1. In 2014, Abdi Warsame endorsed Phyllis Kahn over Noor. That was not surprising. Warsame has stayed pretty close to the old-school Minneapolis DFL power brokers (Barb Johnson, Brian Rice etc). Brian Rice has worked on campaigns for both Warsame and Kahn.

2. This year, without a very compelling explanation, Warsame has endorsed Noor. Seems like a strange move when Kahn could really use his endorsement this year.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 1st, 2016, 1:24 pm

I've heard allegations of extreme misogyny in Somali culture specifically, such that Noor may just be running because he's mad that he got beat by a woman (Kahn) in 2014 and is incapable of helping another woman (Omar) to defeat that woman (Kahn again). In 2014 Warsame sided with Kahn because she helped with the redistricting that basically created his council seat. Kinda wonder if a Noor endorsement is an attempt to split the Somali vote so that Kahn gets the win, but also save face with the community by supporting a) a Somali candidate and b) a man.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 1st, 2016, 2:47 pm

I've heard some political insiders (and not in the Somali community) who have serious misgivings about Omar. They say they would support nearly anyone else before her, and these are people who work for female politicians and want to see more female politicians. I think there are also legitimate divides and caucuses within the Somali political community, and it's oversimplifying to suggest they are a cohesive voting bloc.