MN State Senate and House Elections 2016

Elections - City Councils and Commissions - Policies
mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Re: MN State Senate and House Elections 2016

Postby mplsjaromir » September 13th, 2016, 7:16 pm

I can't believe there is a bigger dweeb than Erik Paulsen on planet Earth, but here we are.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 13th, 2016, 8:35 pm

My cynical thought was, "well, it is Blaine. This might not actually hurt him much." It's not like pickup trucks with the confederate battle flag are alien around those parts. But maybe Blaine has changed enough that this would harm his chances.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 13th, 2016, 8:56 pm

And calling for the lynching of Obama.

GOP colors are being revealed.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » September 18th, 2016, 2:42 pm

I wasn't sure which thread this best fit in, though I'm sure the state Senate/House will be a prominent issue.

There's an organizational meeting today from 4-6pm (short notice post) at "CWA Local 7200 Union Hall -- 3521 Lake St, Minneapolis, MN" for Our Revolution MN (not affiliated with the national group) if anyone here's interested.

https://m.facebook.com/events/648215558679254

Anondson
IDS Center

MN State Senate and House Elections 2016

Postby Anondson » September 24th, 2016, 7:21 pm

David Hann's re-election campaign might be pretty tight.

http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-se ... 394696461/

Changing demographics making this pretty tight, plus his campaign against of SWLRT a campaign issue.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 26th, 2016, 7:29 am

That's an interesting race. The DFL must feel pretty good about their first-term incumbents like Melisa Franzen (Edina) and Susan Kent (Woodbury), if they are willing to commit money & resources trying to capture an additional seat, from the minority leader no less. They also have to defend Terri Bonoff's old seat in Minnetonka. If the DFL sweeps all of these areas, it will have a really solid blue/purple wall against future GOP control of the Senate. Big victories in these west suburban state senate districts also makes the defeat of Erik Paulsen feasible for the first time.

The downside is that the GOP is certain to pick up a handful of senate seats in greater MN, so the DFL needs to hold every last suburban seat they currently have, and work hard on turning the rest of the 2nd ring suburbs blue. The only way the DFL gets the MN House back in 2016 is by reaching further into the burbs than ever before.

Older boomers are retiring and leaving the 2nd ring suburbs, and younger & more diverse families are buying their houses, changing the political winds.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 3rd, 2016, 1:48 pm

House candidate arrested for domestic assault.

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/10/03 ... ic-assault

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » October 4th, 2016, 12:10 pm

I live in 51A and was wondering why I hadn't seen any signs or literature for him yet. Guess I won't now. But the consensus, which I agree with, is that Masin's seat is safe anyway. It seems like the resources are going towards the D51 Senate race.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 11th, 2016, 1:52 pm

Gabe Barnett is still feeling the bern and running against Diane Loeffler in 60A (Northeast)

http://www.journalmpls.com/news/2016/10 ... -the-bern/

Officially, he's not a member of any party, but was endorsed by the Green Party. On the ballot, his identification will read "Independent Progressive Liberal". I actually wouldn't be surprised if he beats her....in a handful of precincts.

Good luck to him though. I'm nowhere near as hardcore lefty as many Berners (on economic issues anyways), but I agree with much of what Barnett is saying in this article about the DFL largely being run by moderates, even in our most progressive districts. Like how many of our current state reps or senators actually (and publicly) support legalizing marijuana? None that I'm aware of.

Also, it would be really cool if he did win. I have nothing against Diane Loeffler (she supports Sunday Sales!), but having a couple Green Party folks in the House certainly couldn't hurt anything. They would obviously caucus with the DFL, so I don't see what the harm could be.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 11th, 2016, 2:58 pm

I'm all for him running, and wish him well.

But I think you might be shocked to find that, even in the most progressive districts, the center of gravity is still pretty DFL-moderate (setting aside some choice issues like marijuana legalization, which at this point no longer aligns very well with traditional political order).

If you're basing your assessment of the will of the voters based on who shows up at a DFL caucus (and who comments on streets.mn), your worldview may be skewed.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » October 12th, 2016, 7:30 am

Like how many of our current state reps or senators actually (and publicly) support legalizing marijuana? None that I'm aware of.
Considering this is a state where liquor stores being open on Sundays is still a controversial issue, I'm not surprised.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 12th, 2016, 8:53 am

Considering this is a state where liquor stores being open on Sundays is still a controversial issue, I'm not surprised.
Yet another way it seems even our "progressive" politicians are ridiculously out of step with their constituencies.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 12th, 2016, 10:05 am

Like how many of our current state reps or senators actually (and publicly) support legalizing marijuana? None that I'm aware of.
Minnesota has a weird understated prudishness on things like drugs. I blame the Scandinavians (for no particular reason).

The DFL is also a weird coalition that includes a lot of rangers that are pretty darn conservative on everything except labor issues.

This has been your daily statement of the obvious.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 12th, 2016, 10:07 am

Is it? I mean, does anyone oppose Sunday sales for moral reasons anymore? I've always assumed the only controversy is that the store owners don't want Sunday sales, because if you can get the government to protect you from a your competitors, you don't want to give that up.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » October 12th, 2016, 10:25 am

Is it? I mean, does anyone oppose Sunday sales for moral reasons anymore? I've always assumed the only controversy is that the store owners don't want Sunday sales, because if you can get the government to protect you from a your competitors, you don't want to give that up.
Well, there's that. And there are still plenty of DFLers that won't do it because they unions are fond of it.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 12th, 2016, 1:15 pm

You're right. I forget that the teamsters want Sunday off too.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 12th, 2016, 3:02 pm

Yep, pretty much just pressure from the store owners (who make campaign contributions and have their legislators' ears - both parties) and DFLers who refuse to cross the Teamsters. With the new Republican wave of younger / less-religious types getting elected, the majority of opposition to Sunday sales is now firmly on the DFL side. It's pretty embarrassing to watch your party be so stupid on something where public opinion is very clearly in the other direction. Like regardless of the reasons, why would you be willing to hand the other party a "win" on something the public overwhelmingly wants??

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » October 13th, 2016, 1:59 pm

Yeah, the enduring ban on Sunday sales definitely isn't just due to people morally opposed to it -- there's the store owners and Teamsters who oppose it, and nowadays, they are a larger part of the opposition. But it's still a factor, if a dwindling one as time goes on. My main point was that just because a lot of people support legalizing something, doesn't mean it will be easily or quickly.

As for why legislators keep supporting it, that's easy -- there's no consequence to their doing so, as it's hardly an issue that many people are going to change their vote over.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » October 13th, 2016, 2:05 pm

The DFL is also a weird coalition that includes a lot of rangers that are pretty darn conservative on everything except labor issues.
It's going to be very interesting to see how this election plays out on the Iron Range and what the long-term effects are. There are some signs that the coalition is starting to fracture, but it may hold.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 13th, 2016, 2:53 pm

The range would be absolutely fascinating in a Trump v Bernie race.