MN State Senate and House Elections 2016

Elections - City Councils and Commissions - Policies
twincitizen

Re: MN State Senate and House Elections 2016

Postby twincitizen » February 24th, 2016, 11:36 am

The Pioneer Press is trying to maintain a list of legislators who aren't running again this year. There are 14 who haven't already been replaced:

http://www.twincities.com/2016/01/28/mi ... nd-charts/

They also have a list of House representatives who are running for state Senate:

https://storify.com/rachelsb/minnesota- ... esota-sena
Uffda! Leroy Stumpf not running again in the Senate: http://blogs.mprnews.org/capitol-view/2 ... run-again/

That seat will surely be claimed by a Republican, as the district has two GOP house members and is solidly republican. That may not be the only DFL senate seat lost this fall either. Important to remember that the 2012 election in MN was very, very good for the DFL - way beyond just the usual presidential year bump, due to the GOP's constitutional amendment folly. The current 39-28 advantage is sure to be reduced to at least 36-31 or even 35-32. It is absolutely critical that the DFL hold its majority in the Senate this fall (which would carry through 2020!). We urban dwellers really need to get out there and knock doors in Woodbury, Eagan, etc. There are some good rising stars in those districts too that could be future congress people, governor, etc. A suburban DFLer for Governor in 2018 would be a shoo-in.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 11th, 2016, 9:12 am

https://www.minnpost.com/politics-polic ... r-nice-guy
Can the Senate DFL Caucus mend its relationship with Majority Leader Bakk?

Hard to sell this to outstate Senators, but if the DFL does not take back the House in November (and it's unlikely they will, short of a major democratic landslide), I would really prefer to have a person from the metro area as Majority Leader.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 25th, 2016, 1:25 pm

DFL Candidate for 57A (Apple Valley - Lakeville): http://erinforhouse.com/bio/
Incumbent Tara Mack (R) is not running again.

This one is a stretch for Dems, as Mack held onto the seat through the 2012 DFL wave, by ~1500 votes. Mack then won by ~3500 votes in 2014, a year with considerably lower turnout. It's tough to believe the district has moved that much in 4 years, though it is probably heading in that direction (as many diversifying, maturing suburban districts seem to do). A huge anti-Republican wave might make it possible. Adjacent district 56B (the Will Morgan - Roz Peterson district) has historically been much closer, going DFL in presidential years and GOP in midterms.

Follow the campaign filings here: http://candidates.sos.state.mn.us/Candi ... didateid=0

The DFL is certain to lose a few outstate Senate seats, but has some interesting opportunities for pickups around the 2nd-ring suburbs in both chambers, moreso in the House.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » May 25th, 2016, 2:01 pm

Tim Kelly (R) is also not running for reelection, from his Red Wing/Wabasha/Cannon Falls 21A seat.

There are 28 House seats and 12 Senate seats with no filed DFL candidate. Can't win if you don't play.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 25th, 2016, 2:23 pm

I see Jean Wagenius filed again (63B), despite having heard rumors last year that she was going to call it done. And now with Goettel chasing after a Hennepin Commissioner seat, I'm curious to know who else would be waiting in the wings for that seat.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 25th, 2016, 3:39 pm

Huh. Both Tara and Tim aren't running? Wonder why.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 25th, 2016, 8:37 pm

Hackbarth is getting primaried. Grab the popcorn.

Mullery is also getting primaried. Hopefully successfully.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 25th, 2016, 8:50 pm

I'm guessing that's a challenge from the right? Ham Lake, Columbus, and East Bethel. Yowzers.

Keep in mind Hackbarth is the guy that was detained by police in a Planned Parenthood parking lot with a loaded gun (legally, I guess, with a permit to carry). It's hard to fathom that guy getting a challenge from the right, but in that district anything is possible. Hopefully the challenge is from a Brendan Peterson style younger libertarian who mostly agrees with progressives on social issues, even if they have insane ideas about government.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 8th, 2016, 10:40 am

Hey! My Cousin-Cousin is running for the MN House, district 13A currently held by Jeff Howe.

Annie is running as a DFLer but she's much more independent. She made it very clear when DFL leaders approached her that she wasn't going to be bound by partisan strategizing. For the last several years she's been on staff at ISAIAH, organizing the St. Cloud region. She has been the driving force behind the Finish Northstar campaign, which made progress over the last year that I hadn't imagined was possible.

She gets transit. She gets Greater MN. Most importantly, she gets the need for civility and compromise in politics. She's branding herself as a "radical moderate" which, knowing her, is pretty darn accurate. She understands the importance of listening and conversation. She isn't interested in partisan bickering. She understands what people need and would be a good fit for the district. She's very clear on the importance of the common good and social justice.

Please consider supporting her campaign. The St. Cloud region is ripe for flipping from R to D. It would be a big deal for moving the legislature to a pro-transit stance.

@ABuckvold
#OneMinnesota
http://www.buckvoldforhouse.com/

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 27th, 2016, 10:56 am

Does anybody know anything about Mohamoud Hassan, who is running against Jeff Hayden in the primary on August 9th?

Also, there's a primary on August 9th!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 28th, 2016, 5:34 pm

The 25 #mnleg Races to Watch:
https://www.minnpost.com/politics-polic ... ign=buffer

Give all your money to MinnPost - MinnPost uber alles.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » July 29th, 2016, 7:38 am

Minnpost may have some good journalism from time to time. Unless you are rich do not give money to Minnpost. The Kramers are thigh deep in the charter school game. The publication receives funding from the likes of the Bush Foundation, Itasca Group, Minneapolis Foundation, among other neo-liberal organizations. There is a free exchange of charter school partisans and Minnpost education 'reporters'.

Minnpost is exists in essence to advance charter schools. Minnpost may advertise itself as an upstart, in reality it is more of an insider than anyone.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 29th, 2016, 7:55 am

Interesting. FWIW, I don't read their education reporting, so I have no idea. I think the political reporting (Peter Callaghan, Briana Bierschbach, Sam Brodey) is top notch. I don't think I even have to say how much we all love Bill Lindeke (Cityscape) and Andy Sturdevant (The Stroll).
Apologies for any butchered name spellings (EDIT: just kidding...aced 'em all)

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 29th, 2016, 8:15 am

Mplsjaromir you should join in when the band of neo-liberal education reformers has our routine Friday night #tptalmanac viewing parties. It would be a blast.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » July 29th, 2016, 8:24 am

Sorry, that's when I go to the gym.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » July 29th, 2016, 9:08 am

And then he'd be stuck watching Almanac.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 9th, 2016, 11:10 pm

So Hackbarth and Mullery are both gone. Can't say I'm sorry to see them go.

Omar will replace Kahn.

Nienow is also gone.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 10th, 2016, 7:43 am

Daudt won his primary. Will he be more reasonable in the special session negotiations now?

Probably not.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 10th, 2016, 9:17 am

I Daudt it.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 13th, 2016, 6:10 pm

GOP House staffer running for an open seat in Blaine has been furiously deleting his social media posts praising the confederate flag, smearing a former president of his own party.

http://www.startribune.com/nolan-west-h ... 393310071/

¯\_(ツ)_/¯