Minneapolis Mayoral Election 2017

Elections - City Councils and Commissions - Policies
David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Minneapolis Mayoral Election 2017

Postby David Greene » April 5th, 2017, 11:12 am

One other thing I noted about our caucus is the amount of anti-incumbency/Hodges sentiment. Several delegate candidates specifically said they were opposed to Hodges and/or Frey and one mentioned he was opposed to Lisa because she apparently doesn't support $15 minimum wage w/o tip penalty (I don't know if that's actually true).

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » April 5th, 2017, 12:17 pm

One other thing I noted about our caucus is the amount of anti-incumbency/Hodges sentiment. Several delegate candidates specifically said they were opposed to Hodges and/or Frey and one mentioned he was opposed to Lisa because she apparently doesn't support $15 minimum wage w/o tip penalty (I don't know if that's actually true).
Doesn't appear to be true: http://seiumn.org/2017/03/15/seiu-endor ... sa-bender/
She fought tirelessly for and helped unanimously pass earned sick and safe time for tens of thousands of families in Minneapolis, held the first “Workers’ Day” in Minneapolis that offered working people the chance to have their voices heard at City Hall, and she is a strong advocate for $15 minimum wage with no tip penalty, something we know will be a huge step to addressing the racial and economic disparities that plague our city

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 5th, 2017, 12:40 pm

The policy differences probably are that some of the "15NOW!!!!1!" advocates actually take their blunt rhetoric too literally. As in, they actually believe that the City of Minneapolis, alone, should institute a $15 wage now, in 2017. Which is an insane thing to believe or support. There is probably just one sitting councilmember who would vote for such lunacy (Cano). Reality is that there might be enough support on the Council to pass a $15 wage ordinance, phased in by 2020 or something. Word on the street is that the Council is negotiating to pass a flat "$12 now" in 2017, and either a multi-year phase-in to $15 (by 2020 at the earliest) or $12 + the state's annual inflationary increase (which begins Jan. '18).

I think I've said this before, but this issue was on track to be addressed by the Council this spring or summer. If they actually manage to come up with 7 votes on something, this won't even be an issue by the November election. Best case is that they would take care of it before the July city convention.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 5th, 2017, 2:05 pm

Many like to paint opposition to a charter amendment setting a higher minimum wage as opposition to the actual minimum wage increase. It's kind of crazy to me, considering the the State Supreme Court ruled that this would not have been a legal charter amendment, that advocates are still parroting this line.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 5th, 2017, 2:34 pm

Don't know, but it would seem difficult to both drive significant caucus turnout and keep a campaign secret.
Would it? I don't know how many people went to David's caucus, but secretly arranging for 10-20 people you know well to attend isn't that hard in the age of Facebook.

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: RE: Re: Minneapolis Mayoral Election 2017

Postby David Greene » April 6th, 2017, 11:30 am

Many like to paint opposition to a charter amendment setting a higher minimum wage as opposition to the actual minimum wage increase. It's kind of crazy to me, considering the the State Supreme Court ruled that this would not have been a legal charter amendment, that advocates are still parroting this line.
I think this is what it was. Yesterday I saw a "progressive" scorecard that dinged her for not supporting the ballot initiative.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Re: RE: Re: Minneapolis Mayoral Election 2017

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » April 7th, 2017, 9:29 am

I think this is what it was. Yesterday I saw a "progressive" scorecard that dinged her for not supporting the ballot initiative.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
The left's #2 problem: We love to eat our own. You also see this in the Our Rev MN/TC split, on both sides. (#1 problem is we can't articulate our vision to the masses, Bernie excepted)

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 7th, 2017, 10:17 am

Yeah we make fun of Republicans for their RINO nonsense but then here we are all eating our own young for microscopic policy differences and demanding ideological purity in all things with no hint of pragmatism.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 7th, 2017, 10:22 am

Is that statement intended to be taken ironically?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 7th, 2017, 10:40 am

You are incredibly dense and obtuse for a person that appears to otherwise have fairly good comprehension and reasoning skills.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 7th, 2017, 11:07 am

Ironically, if you ever listen to conservative radio the Republicans' biggest problem is that they can't unite behind their causes like Democrats do.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 7th, 2017, 11:48 am

Grass is always greener I suppose.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 7th, 2017, 12:12 pm

You are incredibly dense and obtuse for a person that appears to otherwise have fairly good comprehension and reasoning skills.
You have a tendency to unnecessarily make things personal.

Lack of pragmatism and demanding ideological purity would seem to the specialty of the forum.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 7th, 2017, 12:17 pm

There's a huge difference in what I personally believe and in what is politically possible. I'm not going to refuse to support any candidate that won't promise to upzone neighborhood interiors. Because, you know, I'm not an idiot.

That doesn't mean I'm going to work to move the needle on what is politically possible, by talking about the issue as much as possible. I'm sorry if talking about things offends you?

Also you're the one that made it personal here so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 14th, 2017, 11:08 pm

Things do not sound good in the Hodges camp.

http://www.startribune.com/betsy-hodges ... 419500743/

“At the end of the day it boiled down to a difference in values, and that’s kind of all I have to say.”

That says a hell of a lot.

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » April 28th, 2017, 9:02 pm

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » May 3rd, 2017, 1:15 pm

I'm more and more seeing the Nicollet Mall reconstruction being used against Betsy Hodges politically. First Raymond Dehn had several promoted Facebook posts about it, and now I'm seeing a promoted post from a group called "Anyone But Betsy" that's calling up this issue too.

Until recently I'd known there was a lot of frustration about the topic, but is this a relatively new thing that she's being directly blamed for it? And is it fair to blame her? I'm genuinely asking because I don't know; until now I'd never really connected her directly to the delays.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 3rd, 2017, 1:18 pm

The "Anyone But Betsy" group appears to be practicing the spaghetti-on-wall school of political attack, so I don't know that I would read too deeply into that.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » May 3rd, 2017, 1:23 pm

Seems like a poor long term attack, as the Mall will be largely done by November.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 3rd, 2017, 1:27 pm

I think Betsy is in trouble. She may very well squeak through the election but her ability to advance policy and promote the city has been severely damaged. She should have been much more vocal and public about opposing Trump's sanctuary EO.