SimCity

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Visualizer
Nicollet Mall

Re: SimCity

Postby Visualizer » January 13th, 2014, 1:40 pm

Did anyone get and like/dislike it? $15 is chump change but I'm still pissed about the DLC in principle.
I would wait until they release the offline patch:

http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/artic ... -is-coming

OR better yet, spend those hard-earned $20 on Banished instead: http://store.steampowered.com/app/242920
Twin Cities Transit Map 2030 : Order Prints | Follow Mapping Twin Cities on Tumblr |

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 13th, 2014, 2:20 pm

OR better yet, spend those hard-earned $20 on Banished instead: http://store.steampowered.com/app/242920
Oh my god I'm so obsessed with this game. So glad there's finally a release date.

Visualizer
Nicollet Mall

Postby Visualizer » January 13th, 2014, 8:17 pm

New video from the official channel:

1-hour-long gameplay video

Twin Cities Transit Map 2030 : Order Prints | Follow Mapping Twin Cities on Tumblr |

dragne_SDI
Block E

Postby dragne_SDI » April 1st, 2014, 6:15 pm

I have been planning on joining this site for a while, as I check it regularly for updates. But, since I remembered there being a SimCity thread, I decided I would finally join so I could share this: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/ ... mentsStart . I tend to check Simtropolis a lot for possible Minneapolis-St. Paul BAT's, and I was surprised this time when I found one :) .

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » April 2nd, 2014, 9:48 am

Thats pretty cool. I could never get mods to work right in SC4K.

Drizzay
Metrodome

Postby Drizzay » April 2nd, 2014, 10:21 am

I am addicted to SC4. i have spent hours and hours building my plugins folder with the various Mod's and addon's.

I was excited as ever about the new one that came out last year, following all of the posts over at Simtropolis up until the release. Those hardcore players were pissed, and rightfully so. i am glad I held out.

That being said, the Modd'ing is finally open. It may take a while to get the big Mod's (I.E bigger map sizes and a NAM), but soon you should see a robust Exchange.

At that point, it will be worth it to purchase the game.

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » April 8th, 2014, 10:03 am

The one thing I really liked in SC4 is making my city more realistic with Wal-Mart supercenters along with strip malls and fast food chains on my avenues in my sprawled out suburbs. I just like having one or two large dense cities with that have suburbs sprawl all out across the map since it's so large.

If the new SimCity ever gets to be like that, then I'd probably buy it. One thing that always bugged me was how separated the city lots were from one another, it just looked very weird.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 8th, 2014, 9:35 pm

I never really had success with that...I usually ended up with pretty-flat looking cities density-wise. I explicitly tried building suburban areas plotted similar to the way they are in the US with the cul-de-sacs and arterial roads, etc., and it always ended up that the commute times were too long for people to want to live there. They'd build right away but then end up with the briefcase in the red circle with a line through it pretty much immediately after building out. Likewise, in hours and hours of play I got only a handful of the real skyscrapers (for example). There was that group of maybe thirty buildings that were the medium-sized office and residential towers, those were easy, but anything beyond that I never really figured out.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » April 9th, 2014, 9:13 pm

Yeah when it came to large-scale commercial development, I had very few actual skyscrapers outside building landmark ones. Usually I had a downtown core surrounded by a few dense residential areas, and some dense areas in inner-suburbs, and then stereotypical sprawl. Realistically my suburbs probably look like ones in Canada where the lots are narrower than typical American suburbs (at least Midwestern ones). I wonder if I can find that old map (I built a metro area of about 1 million I think around 2011) to explain it via pictures.

I like the SC4 mods a lot though when it came to transportation because I was able to build a wide-scale commuter rail network (with modded stations so they all didn't look the same) along with a subway in the densest areas. I was always too lazy to create bus routes, so the ones I did create probably have really weird routes.

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » April 9th, 2014, 11:42 pm

Found the files on a flash drive:
Inner city district (South Central district), just south of downtown with a SuperTarget; commuter rail to CBD or Southern Cross (southern outer suburb/edge city), subway to CBD or Kingston (inner-ring southern suburb)
Outer Suburb - Arcadia (about 12 km from downtown) McDonald's is to the right of Target (barely seen), Chipotle is across from Wendy's; commuter rail to inner suburbs and CBD visible in lower right part of picture
More photos here: Downtown-University District, Downtown-Financial District (southern portion), Arcadia-Outskirts/rural-(sub)urban fringe

at40man
Rice Park

SimCity

Postby at40man » January 9th, 2015, 4:01 pm

This board has no SimCity thread? For shame! :lol:

After the terrible 2013 version, SimCity 4 was re-released for Mac and PC recently. I'm obsessed all over again, and 10 years of mods/buildings/etc to download, including St Paul's Landmark Center and Minneapolis' Campbell Mithun tower.

In my latest region I have no highways whatsoever. Instead, it is rail-transit based. It's pretty badass.

Does anyone else here play SimCity?

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » January 12th, 2015, 9:11 am

This thread didn't show up when I did an initial search of the board. Odd...
I never really had success with that...I usually ended up with pretty-flat looking cities density-wise. I explicitly tried building suburban areas plotted similar to the way they are in the US with the cul-de-sacs and arterial roads, etc., and it always ended up that the commute times were too long for people to want to live there. They'd build right away but then end up with the briefcase in the red circle with a line through it pretty much immediately after building out. Likewise, in hours and hours of play I got only a handful of the real skyscrapers (for example). There was that group of maybe thirty buildings that were the medium-sized office and residential towers, those were easy, but anything beyond that I never really figured out.
I used to have this problem too, and used to wonder why people would cram on side streets rather than taking the nearby highways and trains. It actually kept me from playing the game for awhile. However, it has been fixed with the release of the Network Addon Mod. I have now been re-obsessed. This fixed all the issues with the game. I'd download and install - give the game another shot and you should have more success this time around.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » September 3rd, 2015, 8:54 pm

In case anyone here is a Mac user, SimCity Complete Edition is on sale for $20 from the Mac App Store. The reviews are...mixed.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.