SimCity

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Nick
Capella Tower

SimCity

Postby Nick » December 14th, 2012, 7:27 pm

I idly sat by while CNN anchors read tweets about the debt ceiling from @hotdog69lol. I worked around the Washington Post "Social Reader" app by going directly to their websites to find stories I was interested in. I shrugged when I saw that stupid Bing commercial about "search going social" with that terrible, overplayed song. But it's official: All of this "social" crap has gone too far.

The upcoming Simcity reboot will require an "always on" Internet connection due to the region play. Because, according to the President of EA: "...games are to be thought of as services now" and "need to have a social experience where you're part of a large community." Sweet. Super jazzed lol to play with my lol friendz lol. Omg can't wait to share!!!1!!
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Re: SimCity

Postby thatchio » December 14th, 2012, 7:34 pm

Nick, don't act like you don't want to want to join an UrbanMSP region. You want to build with me

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » December 14th, 2012, 7:35 pm

Yeah, the whole social gaming thing kind of mystifies me, too. I can't blame them for wanting to me more like Farmville or whatever the kids are playing on the facebooks these days, but to require it? Lame.
My flickr photos.

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » December 14th, 2012, 8:09 pm

In all seriousness though, I think it's a huge mistake of them to require it to be streamed. Optional is fine, as I would like to go head to head with Nick, but I also want to play without streaming that data or be forced not to play because my internet connection dies.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » December 14th, 2012, 9:37 pm

The real problem with the new version is the city plots in the region have swaths of empty space between them yet the "cities" are only 2km x 2km. There is no way to make vast mega-regions. The best you can do is a few dense blocks surrounded by undevelopable greenfield.

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » December 17th, 2012, 3:10 pm

The real problem with the new version is the city plots in the region have swaths of empty space between them yet the "cities" are only 2km x 2km. There is no way to make vast mega-regions. The best you can do is a few dense blocks surrounded by undevelopable greenfield.
Until they release the Megacity DLC... :D :roll:

Visualizer
Nicollet Mall

Postby Visualizer » December 17th, 2012, 5:32 pm

There are many gameplay limitations for it to be a true successor to Simcity 4.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpzouhrHCpM[/youtube]
Twin Cities Transit Map 2030 : Order Prints | Follow Mapping Twin Cities on Tumblr |

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » December 17th, 2012, 7:21 pm

Hopefully they allow the mods to really make the game play deep.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 9th, 2013, 11:30 am

So I guess this was a huge disaster.

http://kotaku.com/simcity-disaster_watch/

Did anyone buy the game?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 9th, 2013, 11:48 am

Follow up question: Does anyone else like...not pirate stuff anymore? I had Limewire, etc. when I was a teenager but now that I'm an adult I feel like I should pay for things. Right? All this DRM/always online stuff was ostensibly in place to cut back on piracy, but, for me personally, that's not something I even think about anymore.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 9th, 2013, 2:01 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 9th, 2013, 2:11 pm

So I guess this was a huge disaster.

http://kotaku.com/simcity-disaster_watch/

Did anyone buy the game?
I was going to, but I never got around to preordering it, and now, in hindsight, that looks like a great decision. I just bought SC4 from Steam and found all the old mods I used to use instead.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » March 10th, 2013, 8:59 pm

SC4 with Rush Hour is where its at. Check out the exchange on simtropolis.com, tons of mods there. The NAM mod is awesome, adds tons of new highways and transportation options like LRT and high speed rail. There really isn't a single mod that isn't there. They even have a mod to legalize medical marijuana. With the active modding community the game doesn't even feel close to being ten years old, I still get myself hooked on developing new regions. The only problem is that before I can finish one region I get an idea for another one and start over. :roll:

From what I hear this new Sim City is a total bust. EA basically just saw the $$$ and completely sacrificed everything that made Maxis and Sim City great. I'm not a huge gamer at all but from hanging out on Reddit and hearing my friends constant complaints I've pretty much learned EA is a completely evil company. I wouldn't waste any money the game, any improvements they do make will surely be in some form of a DLC (i.e. want subways? $2.99, bigger hospitals? 1.99, larger cities? Well thats gonna be $19.99) Plus if I pay money for a game I want to be able to play it when I want to. I'm not going to pay 60 bucks to own something I can't play single player without being connected to the internet. Heck I believe Amazon even stopped selling the game for a little bit, its on track to be Amazon's worst reviewed game ever. Anyways... Definitely check out the mods for SC4 if you're looking for a good city builder.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » March 12th, 2013, 11:03 am

I bought the game the day it came out. Took a LONG time just to get it properly installed. Then all the servers were down, so I couldnt get on a server to play (due to online only). Wasn't able to really play until Saturday. In the morning, the game would shut down every 10 minutes. They finally got that fixed and by the afternoon it was working just fine. One annoying thing is it runs really slowly. Gets frustrating. You would think it would run like a normal game. And my computer is only a year old, so that isnt it. There is a lack of transportation options. (No subways? WTF) You are limited to the size of your city. Unless the entire city is all high rises, there is no way of getting over 100,000. So you cannot design a city with a true CBD, and "Uptown" like neighborhoods. And when you transfer over to another "city" in your region, you start all over again with money. So that is frustrating as well.

Visualizer
Nicollet Mall

Postby Visualizer » March 14th, 2013, 12:35 am

On top of it all, they botched the pathfinding simulation making traffic management a guessing process at best.

http://bgr.com/2013/03/13/simcity-pr-ni ... is-372284/
Twin Cities Transit Map 2030 : Order Prints | Follow Mapping Twin Cities on Tumblr |

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 14th, 2013, 8:09 am

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » January 11th, 2014, 2:19 pm

$15 at the Microsoft Store with free shipping. I just ordered one. :roll:

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 11th, 2014, 2:34 pm

I built a new computer this week, getting the new SimCity was technically on my to do list after that. Did anyone get and like/dislike it? $15 is chump change but I'm still pissed about the DLC in principle.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » January 11th, 2014, 5:01 pm

After all the bad press re SimCity I got Megacities instead.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » January 11th, 2014, 8:53 pm

Small noncontiguous city tiles, many features not working like you'd expect (great works, resource trading), many missing features (one way roads, subways). I bought it at release and haven't played it in months