Rumors: A Historical Record of Mystery

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Avian
Union Depot

Re: Rumors!

Postby Avian » November 6th, 2013, 3:28 pm

Exciting! Coture is going to be a few feet taller than 5th St. Towers II, (8th tallest in Minneapolis) so even if "quite a bit taller" is only 30 feet, this will still be among the tallest seven buildings in Minneapolis.
Probably 5th. Again, I haven't seen the design, just some of the specs.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » November 6th, 2013, 3:34 pm

Great info - thank you for sharing it! Could this be the big Hines office proposal coming back larger than the first rendering? I love the location, and it makes sense in terms of long-term planning with the area's growth trends and transit connections.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » November 6th, 2013, 4:01 pm

What would be an educated guess for 1. when we'll know for sure what it looks like, 2. location and 3. the chances are of this skinny tower actually getting built? Exciting, but I think Minneapolis is due for excitement (LPM notwithstanding)

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 6th, 2013, 4:29 pm

Any of the surface lots to the east of Loring Park would be my guess. LPM is smack dab in the middle of 394 when viewed from the West.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » November 6th, 2013, 4:38 pm

I was thinking, though, that really any North Loop or Warehouse area would be highly visible from 394 as well. I'd think Loring would be prime, but so would the other areas.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » November 6th, 2013, 4:51 pm

I don't know the timeline. It will depend upon negotiations with the European company interested in leasing some of the space. I'm pretty sure one (perhaps both) of the towers is self-financed so there shouldn't be much of a delay in that part of the process. But I'm not privy to much more info than that other than the exact addresses of the two projects and their tenant mix which, as I mentioned, is confidential at this point. I'm guessing we'll hear much more during the winter.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

skyrab

Postby skyrab » November 6th, 2013, 4:55 pm

Great info - thank you for sharing it! Could this be the big Hines office proposal coming back larger than the first rendering? I love the location, and it makes sense in terms of long-term planning with the area's growth trends and transit connections.
Are you referring to this proposal?
Hines pitches new 20-story office tower near Target Field (renderings)
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... ffice.html

Or to another? To jump from 20 stories to amongst the top 5-8th tallest downtown would be remarkable!

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » November 6th, 2013, 5:46 pm

Yes, that's the one. I'm surprised that they're going to put up their taller apartment building - rather than another 6-story beast - and I would imagine they'd like to go as tall as possible with this valuable land of theirs. Just a thought...

City slicker

Postby City slicker » November 6th, 2013, 10:44 pm

2 words are buzzing around in my head right now... "Skyline changer"

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » November 6th, 2013, 11:01 pm

A certain someone who was banned from this forum states that there may be in fact 2 such towers in the pipeline. The project that's been talked about the last couple days and another similar skinny tower. Can't wait.

web

Postby web » November 7th, 2013, 2:04 am

banned eh?

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » November 7th, 2013, 11:17 am

Why would he get banned? He was my favorite poster.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 7th, 2013, 11:21 am

He was referring to nasa35 being banned, not retiredbanker.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » November 7th, 2013, 1:28 pm

These two skinny buildings have nothing to do with the Hines proposal. These are more "out of the blue" projects.

Also, I'm not sure nasa35 was banned - I thought he just chose to stop posting here for a while. I certainly appreciated many of his points though I disagreed with some of them. But that's what a forum is for. He is on SSC so someone can ask him if they wish.

― Plato

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » November 7th, 2013, 1:33 pm

I'll go ahead and say banning Nasa is lame -- he's been a member of this community for a long time. Yes, he's been a pretty shitty poster recently but the banhammer should be used for egregious trolling only, IMO. I'll donate another $10 to bring Nasa back, if that will help offset the pain and heartache he brings to Nick.
Towns!

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » November 7th, 2013, 1:35 pm

Also, I'm not sure nasa35 was banned - I thought he just chose to stop posting here for a while. I certainly appreciated many of his points though I disagreed with some of them. But that's what a forum is for. He is on SSC so someone can ask him if they wish.
He says he's banned -- but I could see him lying about it. Apologies to Nick if that's the case.
Towns!

sanchopanza
Metrodome

Postby sanchopanza » November 7th, 2013, 3:33 pm

I agree Nasa was/is a contentious poster, but I enjoyed it.

Could it be the 1016 Marquette site, anyone remeber that narrow site proposal?

http://www.emporis.com/images/show/387555-Large.jpg

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 7th, 2013, 3:51 pm

I tended to give Nasa the benefit of the doubt, but eventually I gave up on that. Too often (it felt like more than half his posts) were deliberately trolly. If this were just a generic message board, that might be fine, but I appreciate Nick's efforts to elevate discussion here. Nasa's bad unnecessary bad behavior just wore me down, which is his fault, not mine.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » November 7th, 2013, 6:18 pm

nasa35 was banned a while ago. He was trollish to begin with, was temporarily banned for a week, continued to be trollish, was banned permanently, registered for a new account (I'm pretty sure), and then resumed being trollish. I don't want to talk too much about someone who isn't here, but I would point out many of his posts were deleted, so the inflammatory, abrasive stuff that you saw anyway was a step better then some of what he was posting. Maybe I remember things differently than others, but in eight or nine years of seeing him post on the Internet in some capacity, I struggle to remember an example of him saying something productive. Neutral a lot of the time, for sure, but never productive.

I overuse analogies, but a lot of the time it felt like he was on a football forum telling everyone how stupid football was, and that they should be baseball fans. There are other places for that.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 7th, 2013, 6:30 pm

I don't think 1016 Marquette could be seen from 394. I'm still voting Loring Park or South Hennepin Avenue.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.