Rumors: A Historical Record of Mystery

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Rumors!

Postby xandrex » January 26th, 2015, 12:58 pm

Color me shocked that a group called the Consortium that came with prophecies of untold fortunes awaiting us all and inspired a devout group of disciples turned out to not be so real.

Never seen that one before...

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » January 26th, 2015, 1:01 pm

Love the effort to delete the SSC posts and move on. You'd think they'd want to take a few days/weeks to suss it out after discovering a hoax drove their conversation for over a year. There's still a lot more questions than answers at this point.

I know I'm pretty facinated to watch this whole web unwind.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » January 26th, 2015, 1:16 pm

So far I've only seen people asking for posts to be deleted because of the 12 pages of kneejerk name calling and fake-accusing...
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » January 26th, 2015, 1:20 pm

I guess that's one way to look at it.
Towns!

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » January 26th, 2015, 1:27 pm

I just mean it's definitely not uncommon for people (especially people that follow multiple cities at SSC) to request off-topic posts be deleted in the development news threads... since they're for news, especially when an off-topic matter takes up 15 pages.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 26th, 2015, 1:45 pm

How was R etiredBanker named as "Rick Christianson?" I don't remember a post about it, that name just popped up all of a sudden. Probably to connect to the existing stories about him. Either that or someone wrote fake letters to the newspaper.
Read Nicks long post on the previous page.
That doesn't explain how the name came up. Did it just appear here due to the text munging happening all of a sudden?

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » January 26th, 2015, 2:33 pm

I just mean it's definitely not uncommon for people (especially people that follow multiple cities at SSC) to request off-topic posts be deleted in the development news threads... since they're for news, especially when an off-topic matter takes up 15 pages.
Right. And I appreciate your level-headedness in all this Jake. But, this is the biggest development news to hit that thread in a long time. That's why it's been discussed over 15 pages in a day. It just seems awkward to try and supress the news that much of the development news in that thread is most likely bogus. It's funny they'd try to "move on" before the facts are known.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » January 26th, 2015, 3:16 pm

It seems that the last several hours have revealed no new information. At this point, everything is speculation until we get a response from Avian, June, or the man himself, retiredbanker.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 26th, 2015, 3:18 pm

Has retiredbanker ever posted at SSC? Aren't all his writings just June posting emails he's sent her?

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » January 26th, 2015, 3:23 pm

Has retiredbanker ever posted at SSC? Aren't all his writings just June posting emails he's sent her?
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/member.php?u=968926

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » January 26th, 2015, 3:48 pm

Before the recession, when Minnescraper was still up and running, nasa35 was predicting supertalls left and right. Maybe he really is a highrise hvac guy with insider knowledge and the financial crisis quashed all those projects, but it does make one wonder.
As I think about it nasa is almost certainly a real person and not a part of this, his writing style is too different from the others in question.

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » January 26th, 2015, 3:59 pm

http://www.albertleatribune.com/2014/05/books-donated/

Just found that while searching Google. Seems like a good guy. I'm really curious how he fits in to all this. Has anyone sent him an email?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 26th, 2015, 4:07 pm

A dude who claims to have more money to throw around at once than many of us will ever make in our lives (which to me means millions of dollars) doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would bother showing up somewhere to donate a couple books to a library. The scales are way off. I have no doubt Rick Christenson is a real person, and he may have even posted here once upon a time as retiredbanker, but it seems pretty clear to me that some of the later posts by "retiredbanker" are not him, and everything June says he says is a complete fabrication.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 26th, 2015, 4:52 pm

Okay, serious question, did Nick run over Nasa35's dog on the way to an UrbanMSP event or something? I just can't comprehend having that much anger about a person and site on the internet.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 26th, 2015, 4:57 pm

When I joined, both RB and nasa were on their way out. People didn't believe nasa's supposed inside inforation and he got angry about it. I don't know if that's why he continues to badmouth this group or if there's something more to it.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » January 26th, 2015, 5:02 pm

Okay, serious question, did Nick run over Nasa35's dog on the way to an UrbanMSP event or something? I just can't comprehend having that much anger about a person and site on the internet.
It's kind of amazing. If he really isn't in on this, he's seemingly ambivalent to being duped but still frothing mad about "URBAN" snark. That seems ... off. If he is being trolled, than lol at the troll big upping nasa's rolodex.

But the best thing about this is the amount of time spent on those linkedin profiles. Whomever did this seriously thought they added credibility. That's next level lack of awareness. If they just stuck to unintelligible posts about slender european towers they'd never have been found out.
Towns!

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » January 26th, 2015, 5:05 pm

When I joined, both RB and nasa were on their way out. People didn't believe nasa's supposed inside inforation and he got angry about it. I don't know if that's why he continues to badmouth this group or if there's something more to it.
I'm not defending Nasa... But I've been on the end of someone from here telling me I'm too annoying for this board. You know it sucks when you're jist trying to make some new friends in an area you're passionate about, and not actually trying to cause trouble. I don't know what his case is, but I don't rule out that someone here could make him hate this place.

I think Nasa's just an excitable person that got caught up in all of this. He could act a lot more, well, rationally... But some socially-inept people are to be expected on an internet board.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 26th, 2015, 5:05 pm

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 26th, 2015, 5:12 pm

I'm not defending Nasa... But I've been on the end of someone from here telling me I'm too annoying for this board. You know it sucks when you're jist trying to make some new friends in an area you're passionate about, and not actually trying to cause trouble.
Oh, I've received the same treatment on some things here, which is why I try to point out from time to time that the snark really hurts things. But in the end, I can brush it off and continue, even give respects to people who've been less than kind to me before because I actually get something out of this community. It's fine if people want to leave but the hanging on to grudges is really strange and self-destructive in the end.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 26th, 2015, 7:49 pm

Yeah how many times did we get into it about 3A vs 3C? Yet now I'd say we respect each other quite a bit.