Rumors: A Historical Record of Mystery

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Re: Opus Ritz Block Development

Postby nordeast homer » September 23rd, 2014, 3:16 pm

The Nic block is a letdown!? What are you on? It's not even done yet! There are 3 25+ story buildings being built on that site. Also the Ritz site is not final at all, they said they "might" consider looking into a residential use, but they could very well go back and get an office as well making it a mixed tall one.
Grant, take a breath... I did not say that the Nic block was a let down, but I believe replicating it would be. The Ritz block has been touted as a gateway, it is the beginning of Nicollet Mall, this block should be something special. This location should have retail (not just an ATM and a Subway), real retail. This location should have a hotel along with residential. I'm not saying we need a 70 story building or a Taj Mahal, but it needs to be something destinct, something more than just 2 residential towers.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » September 23rd, 2014, 3:31 pm

A well designed building for this site is better than super tall. The best site for a super tall if we ever get one in our lifetime would be the TCF block.
Last edited by uptowncarag on September 23rd, 2014, 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » September 23rd, 2014, 3:53 pm

A great addition to the community! With yet another residential building there surly must be a need for some type of park in this area right? Even though the plan was to build a park right where these buildings will go is there still an opportunity to see some type of small park? Any public opportunity to walk a dog, or have a small green space sure would be great to see but is that a realistic option still? I like buildings having there own green spaces, but because of this will that mean we won't see any type of public park in this now residential area? Even a 1/4 block public park space could help fill the need.

Also the story mentioned they intend to build a skyway connection to the Library and the new Xcel energy Hq building. Will the new Xcel building have a skyway to Nic on 5th? I remember them saying they didn't want a skyway to the old building (to the new Xcel building) but said perhaps a later date they might add a skyway. Provided the new Xcel energy is planning on having a skyway connection to Nic on 5th then we are looking at a very realistic chance of connecting the public Library to the skyway network correct?

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » September 23rd, 2014, 3:56 pm

"site" not "sight".

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 23rd, 2014, 4:05 pm

A great addition to the community! With yet another residential building there surly must be a need for some type of park in this area right? Even though the plan was to build a park right where these buildings will go is there still an opportunity to see some type of small park? Any public opportunity to walk a dog, or have a small green space sure would be great to see but is that a realistic option still? I like buildings having there own green spaces, but because of this will that mean we won't see any type of public park in this now residential area? Even a 1/4 block public park space could help fill the need.
This lot was never planned to be a park. You're thinking of the Nicollet Hotel block, north of the library.
Also the story mentioned they intend to build a skyway connection to the Library and the new Xcel energy Hq building. Will the new Xcel building have a skyway to Nic on 5th? I remember them saying they didn't want a skyway to the old building (to the new Xcel building) but said perhaps a later date they might add a skyway. Provided the new Xcel energy is planning on having a skyway connection to Nic on 5th then we are looking at a very realistic chance of connecting the public Library to the skyway network correct?
I'm pretty certain you can see the skyway connection spot on the north side of Nic on 5th when you look at the Marq4 webcam (it's a lighter shade and about the square needed for that connection): http://webcampub.multivista.com/index.c ... th=&height

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 23rd, 2014, 4:08 pm

Will the new Xcel building have a skyway to Nic on 5th?
Yes. The security department apparently was overruled, and there will be a public skyway connection from the Nic to new Xcel, then across 4th to this block. There will also be a skyway across Nicollet to the old Xcel building, though that one is likely to be employees only. Since the Library was built to accommodate future skyway connections, I cant imagine that it wouldn't also get a skyway across Nicollet to this block.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 23rd, 2014, 4:24 pm

Speaking of the Xcel security department - if you work there, try to get a tour of their command center in the 414 building. That was a cool tour!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 23rd, 2014, 4:49 pm

This lot was never planned to be a park. You're thinking of the Nicollet Hotel block, north of the library.

The downtown council and river first proposals both actually presented concepts where a part of the ritz block would be preserved as a green space ribbon to the river.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 23rd, 2014, 5:18 pm

Speaking of the Xcel security department - if you work there, try to get a tour of their command center in the 414 building. That was a cool tour!
I've been. It was really cool!
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » September 23rd, 2014, 5:30 pm

Will the new Xcel building have a skyway to Nic on 5th?
Yes. The security department apparently was overruled, and there will be a public skyway connection from the Nic to new Xcel, then across 4th to this block. There will also be a skyway across Nicollet to the old Xcel building, though that one is likely to be employees only. Since the Library was built to accommodate future skyway connections, I cant imagine that it wouldn't also get a skyway across Nicollet to this block.

Thanks for the info. Wow, who would have thought we would have seen such a big planned skyway expansion? I wonder how much further the system will expand by 2018.

Hopefully I am not the only one sees the huge positive impact these two new towers will have to the downtown. Even if the architectural enthusiasts here wanted a 1,000+ iconic building maybe we can hold our disapproval comments, and instead encourage this proposal into becoming a reality! I can understand the frustration with building a low rise building of 5-12 floors. Yet, if we are able to continue to progress towards filling the empty spaces downtown with 20-40 floor buildings the downtown is really going to become an amazing urban community! Surly if we progress towards that there is no doubt we can earn the nickname "the mini apple"

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » September 23rd, 2014, 5:45 pm

That rumor is hedged so much that it was bound to be true.

In other words, completely worthless.
I for one don't think it's worthless to talk about what's going on behind the scenes of potentially major projects. Yes, there is a Norman Foster design for the Ritz Block. I could even describe it. Yes, Lord & Taylor signed a letter of intent to anchor the retail promenade. Yes, several international firms signed letters of intent for the office portion, and yes, the Four Seasons planned a 62-story hotel here.

And sadly it seems, yes, Opus does not want to partner with anyone else but does not have the deep pockets to build anything other than two residential towers.
Last edited by Avian on September 23rd, 2014, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 23rd, 2014, 5:47 pm

That... is super depressing.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » September 23rd, 2014, 6:06 pm

Can someone please leak that proposal to the media so that we can shame Opus to death?

Good lord...

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 23rd, 2014, 6:12 pm

If this thought does turn into a real proposal someone needs to show the city those letters of intent. Maybe I'm just hopeful because of them already choosing Ryans bigger project over the Vikings

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 23rd, 2014, 6:23 pm

I'm pretty certain you can see the skyway connection spot on the north side of Nic on 5th when you look at the Marq4 webcam (it's a lighter shade and about the square needed for that connection): http://webcampub.multivista.com/index.c ... th=&height
The skyway to Xcel will be where the grey box is on the second level on the side of the Nic building The alley I believe stays as the foundation work on Xcel is about 15yards from the Nic. There will be a small skyway over the alley once the Xcel is finish. The skyway to the Xcel is finished in the Nic,it runs along Hennepin Ave side near the so call windows that are presently behind some walls. I think you would have to be an out of town retailer to rent any of those spaces. Locals know that dead end skyways have little traffic. I don't think that all the Xcel employees and Nic's residence can keep those locations profitable. I hope to be proved wrong, but there is plenty of presidencies out in skyway land for failure on low traffic segments. At best, it would be 2018 or later for any new tower to be built on the Ritz block and connected to these skyways. Only when you have the foot traffic of the Ritz block and the Library going thru here will the space have the foot traffic to be successful. Until then that is a lot of time to have skyways retail sitting empty or not getting enough rent to cover their expenses. Sorry to rip on Opus, but they have dropped the ball at Nic, and the Xcel skyway I really doubt will be too much better as I doubt there will be little retail allowed to be build on the skyway level if they are worried about security. Doubt there will be much of any street to skyway level access either. I see these as long and lifeless gerbil tubes of staying out of the cold only. No other real value for the next few years if at all.

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » September 23rd, 2014, 7:42 pm

I for one don't think it's worthless to talk about what's going on behind the scenes of potentially major projects. Yes, there is a Norman Foster design for the Ritz Block. I could even describe it. Yes, Lord & Taylor signed a letter of intent to anchor the retail promenade. Yes, several international firms signed letters of intent for the office portion, and yes, the Four Seasons planned a 62-story hotel here.

And sadly it seems, yes, Opus does not want to partner with anyone else but does not have the deep pockets to build anything other than two residential towers.
So there was more than enough interest in downtown MPLS from a major retailer along with an international hotel AND several international firms? It's now off the table because the city's so-called "top" developer is too stubborn to partner with someone to get the project done? What an impression Minnesotans leave on the rest of the world. Freakin bumpkins.

This all seems too ridiculous to be true.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 23rd, 2014, 7:51 pm

If Four Seasons had considered a plan like that in Minneapolis, but fell through here, they still might be inclined on a different site right?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 23rd, 2014, 8:02 pm

I would think (hope?) so. This is clearly the best open block in downtown, but I would hope that none of those interests are specifically married to the particular block. Presumably the office interests also might be interested in a trophy tower on the TCF site, and Four Seasons might consider a tower hotel on one of the Hennepin lots, and Lord & Taylor would consider renovating and moving into the soon-to-be vacant Saks space.

Just my opinion, though, I'm not an expert in developing anything but substations.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » September 23rd, 2014, 8:49 pm

That rumor is hedged so much that it was bound to be true.

In other words, completely worthless.

LOL

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » September 24th, 2014, 1:09 pm

...and Lord & Taylor would consider renovating and moving into the soon-to-be vacant Saks space.
The Saks space is being taken by an upscale Walgreens.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato