Rumors: A Historical Record of Mystery

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
EOst
Capella Tower

Re: Opus Ritz Block Development

Postby EOst » September 23rd, 2014, 6:41 am

Yeah, they were. I'm not going to bother digging through the rumors thread for the quote, but wasn't Avian's Texas contact saying something like "various groups would like to partner with Opus to build something iconic, but Opus is really conservative and will probably go with a couple ~30 story towers by themselves instead"?
Well, sure, but I'm pretty sure that's what everyone else was guessing without reliable information, so I don't know if it counts too much as a win. ;)

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » September 23rd, 2014, 9:09 am

This is unbelievably disappointing news about the Ritz Block. Opus had the chance to do a once in a lifetime project and bring a huge amount of energy and life to a part of downtown that could use a little more. They could have built a tower, or towers, that defined the skyline for generations to come, those projects don't happen very often. But instead Opus decided to do a project that just "good enough" sure it's a solid urban infill project but compared to what it could be it is kinda sad.

I'm not one to believe every rumor he heard on SSC but I thought they had enough detail and inside info to be pretty credible and at least based in some level in truth. IF all the rumors were/are true that makes today's article even more disappointing.

The one piece of positive news I did read in the article was that both towers were going to be at least 30 stories which means something bigger could be built but I would have a hard time believing either project would be significantly taller.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 23rd, 2014, 9:15 am

This is unbelievably disappointing news about the Ritz Block. Opus had the chance to do a once in a lifetime project and bring a huge amount of energy and life to a part of downtown that could use a little more. They could have built a tower, or towers, that defined the skyline for generations to come, those projects don't happen very often. But instead Opus decided to do a project that just "good enough" sure it's a solid urban infill project but compared to what it could be it is kinda sad.

I'm not one to believe every rumor he heard on SSC but I thought they had enough detail and inside info to be pretty credible and at least based in some level in truth. IF all the rumors were/are true that makes today's article even more disappointing.

The one piece of positive news I did read in the article was that both towers were going to be at least 30 stories which means something bigger could be built but I would have a hard time believing either project would be significantly taller.
I'm confused why everyone seems to think that Opus is somehow pissing away some grand opportunity here. If there was interest from others for a larger mixed-use tower, it would be happening. I can't imagine that Opus would simply want to build another infill residential tower if there was interest in doing more.

I too am baffled as to why other cities seem to have little trouble cobbling together a mixed-use building. This block is certainly prime for that. Office, hotel, residential, retail. Perhaps we'll all be pleasantly surprised when they do approach the city with their plans.

But I don't fault Opus for building what they know the market can sustain. They may be "small" and "conservative", but they are still about making money.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 23rd, 2014, 9:15 am

There are always more parcels to develop/redevelop. Less surface parking, more downtown residents seems like a winning combination no wonder how tall or how not signature.

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » September 23rd, 2014, 9:19 am

It's rumored that there are other companies ready to (and actively trying to) partner with opus on the ritz block to build something great, but opus has no interest in partnering up.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 23rd, 2014, 9:28 am

They are going to have to do better here. And that means taller, better quality, with a stronger retail presence along Nicollet Mall. Otherwise its going to be a huge dud.
What leads you to believe Opus can or will do better?
I actually have some optimism they will do better here. There will be more pressure as this is one of the last vacant parcels on the Mall. The city is investing a lot of time and money in renovating Nicollet Mall and the stakes are higher to do something good here. The recent feedback The Planning Commission gave Kraus and Anderson re: their project and particularly the direct criticism that it looked "suburban" makes me think they are being more assertive with developers about bringing better urban design to the table. I'm not in the club that thinks a supertall has to happen here or it will be a failure/disappointment . But it definitely should have some ambition to be a signature building with a decent amount of retail space to complete the northern end of Nicollet Mall .

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 23rd, 2014, 9:34 am

There are always more parcels to develop/redevelop. Less surface parking, more downtown residents seems like a winning combination no wonder how tall or how not signature.
No doubt having more downtown residents is a good thing. But having a bunch of nondescript buildings that don't mark a sense of place or create a feeling of being special or unique is the urban design mentality of an automobile oriented sunbelt city. This is Nicollet Mall we're talking about.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » September 23rd, 2014, 9:49 am

Instead of doing 2 - 30 story residential towers, why not build a 50+ story residential building and save the other lot for future development. Woudnt the cost of going higher be offset by not having to build a 2nd base? And then they could develop the other part for future hotel/office in the future. And wouldnt higher units be more desirable?

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » September 23rd, 2014, 9:51 am

Also some big news towards the end of the Strib article: apparently last week a 36-story luxury building called "LMP Apartments" opened "along the Nicollet Mall along on the edge of Loring Park." I looked and couldn't find a thread. How'd we miss that one?
"Who rescued whom!"

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » September 23rd, 2014, 10:08 am

Also some big news towards the end of the Strib article: apparently last week a 36-story luxury building called "LMP Apartments" opened "along the Nicollet Mall along on the edge of Loring Park." I looked and couldn't find a thread. How'd we miss that one?
Can't tell if serious or sarcasm...

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 23rd, 2014, 10:12 am

Not sure I get the dig -- seems like the rumors were pretty accurate here.
Yeah, they were. I'm not going to bother digging through the rumors thread for the quote, but wasn't Avian's Texas contact saying something like "various groups would like to partner with Opus to build something iconic, but Opus is really conservative and will probably go with a couple ~30 story towers by themselves instead"?
That rumor is hedged so much that it was bound to be true.

In other words, completely worthless.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » September 23rd, 2014, 10:27 am

That rumor is hedged so much that it was bound to be true.

In other words, completely worthless.
but THE CONSORTIUM

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » September 23rd, 2014, 12:41 pm

Rumor or not, reproducing the Nic block is a let down. The Ritz block was billed as a gateway and Opus has an opportunity to do something grand, but all they're doing is pissing down their pant leg.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 23rd, 2014, 12:45 pm

The Nic block is a letdown!? What are you on? It's not even done yet! There are 3 25+ story buildings being built on that site. Also the Ritz site is not final at all, they said they "might" consider looking into a residential use, but they could very well go back and get an office as well making it a mixed tall one.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » September 23rd, 2014, 12:49 pm

If you're expecting *three* 25+ story buildings on that block, you're going to be...what's the phrase? Oh yes. You're going to be very let down.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 23rd, 2014, 12:51 pm

Nic on fifth, 4marq and Xcel. I was under the impression he was talking about something that's already built since you can't be let down by something that hasn't been proposed or designed yet..

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » September 23rd, 2014, 12:53 pm

Xcel is going to be less than half of 25 stories.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 23rd, 2014, 12:56 pm

Okay so that's still 2 ~300' buildings and a well designed corner piece

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » September 23rd, 2014, 1:48 pm

by grant1simons2 » September 23rd, 2014, 1:56 pm

Well designed? The new Xcel hqs is a prime example of the mediocrity that Opus brings to the table.

I know Opus was having major financial issues just a few years ago. It's too bad they are still around.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » September 23rd, 2014, 1:49 pm

Nic on 5th = 26 floors and 288 ft
4marq = 30 floors and 313 ft
xcel = 9 floors and 161 ft.

;)

I know we're all a bit bummed. However, just know that there are more than a few sites around town where 500-700' + towers (even one on the same scale as our dieing ritz block proposal) are still being planned. If I said exactly where, a couple people would probably never give me insider info again. And on the other side... if I said where, a bunch people would start attacking me if the exact thing wasn't built within a year.

There is still hope, elsewhere (and probably still here, but less than before), of a very tall tower.