Rumors: A Historical Record of Mystery

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Re: Rumors!

Postby Minneboy » June 19th, 2014, 9:38 am

From a banned member: Just heard some spectacular news.....look for a sweet announcement! Thanks Rocketman.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 19th, 2014, 10:03 am

From a banned member: Just heard some spectacular news.....look for a sweet announcement! Thanks Rocketman.
Timeframe?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 19th, 2014, 5:31 pm

It's completely off the radar from anything discussed. There is some rumored possibility it involves Magellan and a new large tower they will develop in the Loring area! :D I do know there has been interest by developers with the vacant lot at 14th and Harmon. Of course it could be so many other sites downtown, so who knows?

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » June 19th, 2014, 6:08 pm

Wouldn't it be nice if it was the SA site?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 19th, 2014, 6:18 pm

The Two Towers: Loring Park edition?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » June 19th, 2014, 7:34 pm

If you think this site is tough, then you don't even want to touch the UrbanMSP reddit subforum.
Or the almost completely unmoderated Minnesota/Midwest broadcasting forums at RedAndNater.com ... (great place for rumors about Twin Cities broadcasting too, lots of insider knowledge and guest posting enabled!)

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 20th, 2014, 9:28 am

It's completely off the radar from anything discussed. There is some rumored possibility it involves Magellan and a new large tower they will develop in the Loring area! :D I do know there has been interest by developers with the vacant lot at 14th and Harmon. Of course it could be so many other sites downtown, so who knows?
13th and harmon?

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » June 20th, 2014, 12:30 pm

If you think this site is tough, then you don't even want to touch the UrbanMSP reddit subforum.
Or the almost completely unmoderated Minnesota/Midwest broadcasting forums at RedAndNater.com ... (great place for rumors about Twin Cities broadcasting too, lots of insider knowledge and guest posting enabled!)
What a bizarre topic for a message board.
Towns!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 20th, 2014, 1:18 pm

13th and harmon?
Yeah , sorry. I meant the vacant lot bound by Harmon and Yale Place at 13th

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » June 23rd, 2014, 9:33 am

After getting back from Chicago for a few days of fun, it is nice to hear this rumor. The architectural boat tour on the Chicago River is simply mind blowing with the amount of towers the city has, and if we can just get a few more... or even just this one... it will help to come home and not be so depressed about our skyline.

Chava
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chava » June 23rd, 2014, 12:20 pm

After getting back from Chicago for a few days of fun, it is nice to hear this rumor. The architectural boat tour on the Chicago River is simply mind blowing with the amount of towers the city has, and if we can just get a few more... or even just this one... it will help to come home and not be so depressed about our skyline.
Love that skyline and consider it my gold standard. Interestingly, the city is concerned about how the skyline might be altered by new construction, so they will often send feedback to developers. See the case of the spire atop Trump tower. I don't think the original design had a spire in it, but Mayor Daley wanted a spire in the skyline. Turned out well.

That being said, the MPLS skyline is pretty awesome. Especially when compared to cities with equally large or larger metro areas. It's especially spectacular when the suns sets here. I'm not sure if that has to do with the latitude of the Cities?

Are there strict style requirements for new towers?

Also, those boat tours are pretty awesome. Great guides. Did they make any Trump jokes about his sign?

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » June 24th, 2014, 9:21 am

No Trump jokes on our tour. I love the Mpls skyline as well, it's just after being in Chicago for 3 nights - it's humbling coming home!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 26th, 2014, 10:27 am

RB didn't go run and cry in his corner, complaining of the meanies on the internet torturing him. He just chose to stop socializing with us. That's all.
Present evidence that this actually happened. Not a third party account from min-chi-cbus, but an actual statement from retiredbanker saying he would no longer post here.
To quote RetiredBanker:
"June,
As I had discussed with you on the phone recently, I no longer have any intention to respond to inquiries concerning development in downtown Minneapolis for the urbanmsp message board...

...The vast majority of posters on urbanmsp were excellent, there are a few (5-8) who are the most vocal and simply have no understanding (nor patience) at all of what it entails to get a project from conceptual stage to completion, all the complexities and hurdles a developer needs to overcome to see what they envision become a reality...

...What I find rather humorous is that I recognize no less than 5 posters on urbanmsp have applied for positions at my corporate office, and likely many more at other entities that I own that they simply didn't know that I owned..."
Gotta love it. Sounds like RB can get you blacklisted if he wanted to. Or at least help keep you from moving up the ladder if you do get in. Don't know the man, but I doubt he is that petty, unlike a few on here, but he could be a break to getting ahead or a stumbling block for moving up. Any employer who has access to this site can see who plays well with others. They can also see the potential for some to be unable to work well with others. While this maybe the faceless internet, we have now seen that you are not anonymous as you think. Next time you don't get that promotion or that job offer, you might want to think how well do I work with others. How you present yourself on here is most likely going to show thru at your job or an interview, whether you think so or not. I've met plenty of the Jekyll and Hyde out there. They are one way when they are faceless and the opposite when they have to deal with people face to face. But the faceless still has a strong undertone whether you try and hide it or not. Words of experience.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » July 22nd, 2014, 6:06 pm

I'm simply posting a quote. However I've heard nearly the same thing from a different source too.

[QUOTE=Texas RE;115929150]I'm guessing that this is in reference to the Opus Ritz development site. There are 2 distinctly different proposals for this site. The proposal that was leaked was a very early preliminary proposal that was boring, the Twin City development community is not in favor of the early proposal because it doesn't serve the needs to the neighborhood.

The 2nd proposal would require Opus to partner with a hotel developer. A 60+ story very upscale hotel with 175 key rooms with 75 condos along with a lit crown on top, the lower levels facing the Nicollet side would have upscale retail by an interested retailer. Kitty corner on the Marquette side would be an office tower nearing 70 stories in height with a very decorative crown eclipsing 1000 ft. with 650-700K Gross Square Area. Two corners of the block would have outdoor plazas that would enhance the neighborhood & prevent any shadowing of nearby buildings.

Opus needs to determine if they want to partner with another developer to maximize the potential for the site or go alone with a lesser project. Partnering would create a higher ROI for the site & neighborhood. I am working with the developer that Opus would need to partner with, so the information I stated is accurate
.[/QUOTE]

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » July 22nd, 2014, 6:13 pm

Fun! Thanks, Avian.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 22nd, 2014, 8:17 pm

Thanks for posting that, Avian. Hopefully Opus decides to partner up, since they've shown with their recent projects that they don't do 'exciting' very well on their own. I don't particularly mind the Nic on 5th, but I'm not going to pretend it's not a bland project.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » July 22nd, 2014, 8:49 pm

Hope to see this proposal soon. Real soon.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 22nd, 2014, 9:47 pm

The Ritz Block has huge potential and could tie the North Loop and DTE together with the newly renovated Nicollet Mall at Washington Ave. It could be the new heart of downtown. My wish is Opus comes up with something more than just "phase two" of Nic on Fifth.

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » July 23rd, 2014, 11:40 am

So appreciative of insight and posts like the one Avian just did - thank you.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » July 23rd, 2014, 11:59 am

Furthermore....

[QUOTE=Texas RE;115934183]...Spliting the development site between hotel-condo & the office tower does negate most of the problems though. The hotel operator only does things 1 way, the right way with their own cash. Having that block develop into a large mixed-use project consisting of a high end hotel with condos, 1st rate retailers along with a tall modest square footage tower with smaller floorplates sounds like a winning recipe. The Nicollet Mall would be suited for better retail being that so many new residences are on or will be near the spine of the Twin Cities. The opportunities in nearby buildings would be better suited for retail, restaurants & entertainment because of the increased foot traffic & the popularity of the LRT. Just about every city in the US wished they had an opportunity like this in their own city, my hometown of Dallas included. Downtown Dallas streets are empty, even during the daytime office hrs. compared to downtown Minneapolis. I believe too many Minneapolitans don't realize just how fabulous your city is & how many people admire your city.[/QUOTE]

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato